Champions League or Winning a Trophy

Christmas Tree

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papers are all full of it this morning....

Well I for one definitely dont agree. What about you?

2 ways to look at it I suppose. Cup success without progress in the league lacks long term value, league success with no silverware is equally lacking in value.

No one gives a shit that Middlesbrough have won a cup, but everyone has a pop at Arsenal because they've not won one in years either.

Champions League raises the standard of players you can attract, moreso than a cup.

Cup success proves you're capable of winning something

It's both, for me. I want them both, but I'd be reticent to sacrifice league position by putting out 1st teamers against lower league sides/reserves in the domestic cups. We take it seriously when it's serious. Play your kids and reserves in the early rounds, then, if you get through, brign out the big guns.

You needn't start your strongest side in every game, and we haven't the squad depth to get away with that anyway.

Id expect all fans to want a Trophy and the owner to want Champions League.

If we had a season or two's finance from the champions league would we increase our chances of winning trophies in general?....my heart says trophy but the head says champions league. Thats if Ashley opens his wallet of course. The Debuchy saga showed how he works, but if it was suggested last season that >5mill was too much for a 27 year old full back then I think many would have agreed.

If we had a season or two's finance from the champions league would we increase our chances of winning trophies in general?....my heart says trophy but the head says champions league. Thats if Ashley opens his wallet of course. The Debuchy saga showed how he works, but if it was suggested last season that >5mill was too much for a 27 year old full back then I think many would have agreed.

Hazard's in the paper saying he looked at Spurs, but chose Chelsea because of the Champions League.

I want trophies, you're damned right I do, however given the team we're facing in the League Cup I'd rather we didn't misuse our assets. If we'd met Burnley, or Wolves I'd field a slightly stronger team so as to guarantee our passage through to the next round. However, Man U? At Old Trafford? It's a glorified reserve game, don't risk injury to our important players. Save them for competitions we can do well in (Europa & latter stages of the FA) and the competitions we have to do well in (League)

So would I.

How much is the prize money for the BPL placings?....my google skills are shit, I cant find it anywhere. Is finishing say 5th-7th worth more money than finishing 10th and getting to the semis/final of the Europa?

Money shouldnt come into it for the fans. Any of then would do for me. The atmosphere whether there or in the boozer would be magnificent and the team would love it. Its a no brainer.

Money shouldnt come into it for the fans. Any of then would do for me. The atmosphere whether there or in the boozer would be magnificent and the team would love it. Its a no brainer.

Yeah but how many now agree that we didnt need Europe this season?...thats the point, the squad was never going to be good enough under Ashley's recruitment policy. Theres so many moaning about not giving Europe more of a bash after doing well to qualify. So you've got to balance it some way. If finishing in the top 7 is 5million minimum then the club may prioritise the league, which is what appears to be happening. Anybody know the prize money list is?...I've looked everywhere, can't find the fucker..

For me CL is more important and its quite simple really.

Qualify for the CL and have a decent campaign, use the money to build the squad, a squad more capable of winning a cup AND qualifying for the CL year on year. Like all the other tops clubs have done.

For me CL is more important and its quite simple really.

Qualify for the CL and have a decent campaign, use the money to build the squad, a squad more capable of winning a cup AND qualifying for the CL year on year. Like all the other tops clubs have done.

Like we did in the mid-nineties or under Robson?

As good as those games were they weren't as good as watching us lift a trophy.

Id expect all fans to want a Trophy and the owner to want Champions League.

This is it really. Christmas Tree says that Pardew is out of touch if he thinks that CL is as good but he has to walk the line between the fans and the owner.

Winning a trophy will be far more enjoyable but it doesn't afford you the oppertunity to bring more money in and attract better players. But what is the point of bringing in these better players if you don't win anything with them?

No one gives a fuck whether Boro or Leciester have won the league cup but I bet it was fantastic for their fans and I bet they remember it more than us qualifying for the champions league. I'd go so far as to say that if we had won something since the day we thrashed Forrest to qualitfy for the champions league for the first time, we'd barely remember that either!

On the face of it, it's obviously a trophy. I've yet to see one in my life-time and most of the time I just assume I never will. So winning something would be really nice.

However, with the way we are set up currently, we need to have progress in the league. If we won the Europa or FA Cup, it would be something special- but don't forget that no player is going to be all that excited by a team who finished 13th but won the FA Cup. If we want to keep progressing as a team and adding to the squad- we will have to progress in the league and eventually get into a Champions League spot. I don't want to win a cup and then take a giant step back as a club. I want to keep pushing forward.

That's why the lack of investment this year really, really pisses me off. We finally have a shot to take that next step, to challenge in the top 6 and make another push at that 4th position and our net transfer spend is -3 million. Fucking horseshit. It's not so much that our first team isn't capable, but your first team doesn't stay healthy. When you have to bring Gabriel Obertan off the bench- yeah, I don't think you are a Champions League calibre team.

It also forces us to have this debate about which team to play in the cups. Our first XI is so obvious it's painful. You want to have people competing for first team places...we have that in about 2 spots.

Anyway, I'm ranting...

Edited by colinh9