Champions League or Winning a Trophy

Christmas Tree

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On the face of it, it's obviously a trophy. I've yet to see one in my life-time and most of the time I just assume I never will. So winning something would be really nice.

However, with the way we are set up currently, we need to have progress in the league. If we won the Europa or FA Cup, it would be something special- but don't forget that no player is going to be all that excited by a team who finished 13th but won the FA Cup. If we want to keep progressing as a team and adding to the squad- we will have to progress in the league and eventually get into a Champions League spot. I don't want to win a cup and then take a giant step back as a club. I want to keep pushing forward.

That's why the lack of investment this year really, really pisses me off. We finally have a shot to take that next step, to challenge in the top 6 and make another push at that 4th position and our net transfer spend is -3 million. Fucking horseshit. It's not so much that our first team isn't capable, but your first team doesn't stay healthy. When you have to bring Gabriel Obertan off the bench- yeah, I don't think you are a Champions League calibre team.

It also forces us to have this debate about which team to play in the cups. Our first XI is so obvious it's painful. You want to have people competing for first team places...we have that in about 2 spots.

Anyway, I'm ranting...

I agree with the majority of this post, but we have to move away from thinking about progression in terms of money spent on players.

Liverpool have spent more than £30m on players this summer (if you include the fees and wages for Sahin) and I wouldn't say they've progressed at all, Arsenal have spent a stack and have improved their depth, but not their 1st team.

It's not about money spent, it's about the quality and depth of their squad. Southampton have spent a fortune on Ramirez (sp?) and I honestly believe they'd have been better off buying a couple of players instead of gambling all on one player.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the majority of this post, but we have to move away from thinking about progression in terms of money spent on players.

Liverpool have spent more than £30m on players this summer (if you include the fees and wages for Sahin) and I wouldn't say they've progressed at all, Arsenal have spent a stack and have improved their depth, but not their 1st team.

It's not about money spent, it's about the quality and depth of their squad. Southampton have spent a fortune on Ramirez (sp?) and I honestly believe they'd have been better off buying a couple of players instead of gambling all on one player.

Its not about transfer fees as such, its about paying champions league wages to attract champions league type players. Buliding up a kitty for that is very important. We've got 4 players here of that standard who got huge increases on what they earned on the continent when they joined (Cab,BA,Tiote and Cisse) but to get to the next level we have to continue to recognise that Ashley isnt putting any more of his own money in and everything we spend on players including their salaries has to be generated.Not all players are going to accept what we pay atm and those who have will want more next time round. Premier League type prize money is going to contribute hugely to that (500k a place?) so in that regard its right to concentrate on the league iyam.

Like we did in the mid-nineties or under Robson?

As good as those games were they weren't as good as watching us lift a trophy.

We came close and i'd argue we have a better starting 11 now, problem is, like it was then, is squad depth and the quality of it.

We did bring in some good players but we also brought in a load of shite. I think with a few years CL money and the scouting setup we have now we could build a much stronger squad which could challenge on all fronts.

If winning a cup gave people joy but in turn lead to us falling behind in the league, which we would, i'd say not thanks personally.

Well I believe you are conflating my idea of spending money with reckless spending. Asking for more money spent does not mean that I want the days of insane wages and Michael Owen signings to return. Quite the contrary; I've been delighted with the business we've been doing and the personalities we have signed. I wouldn't want us dropping 15 million (see all my Andy Carroll posts) on one player. I just wanted SOME investment. We needed a young striker, we needed a CB and full back and we needed a winger that wasn't named Gabby Obertan (Marveux hasn't proven anything either). That's in addition to what we brought in. That said, I'd be a whole lot happier if we had at least made 2 of those 5 needed signings.

Now we have players a heartbeat away from critical matches that have no business being there.

Gotta be a trophy...... and whats all this shite about CL revenue being re-invested in the team? Do people not realise what a tight fisted fuckwit we have in charge?

Have we been in the CL whilst under MA's ownership? No. Until then pipe down.

Trophy.

Most teams that win stuff qualify for Europe anyway. When you've followed this club for years, seen the highs and the lows, shared it all with with your fellow supporters then would you not want a day like this at Wembley or more likely a weekend on the piss celebrating?

Seen the days of Fereday, Whitehurst etc at Bournemouth, Barnsley et al, want to see the clips years later of Colo lifting a cup then the camera panning away to see the black & white thousands acclaiming our side. That trophy would be for us and the support we've given our club through the years. Trophy every time for me, like. (nearly said, 'catts for me, like). ;)

Qualification for the champions league would go a long way in showing how far we have come since getting back on track amid a hat full of managers.

Winning a cup would be great but not at the expense of a mediocre finish or relegation as as happened to many teams.

Not many fans will dine out on a league cup final win or an FA cup final win if it meant we languished at the wrong end of the table or worse, as it would be back to square one of, " so what, we won a cup but the club is in a mess and the players are shite." etc etc.

Champions league first and foremost for me but let's be greedy and have a cup and qualification.

Well I believe you are conflating my idea of spending money with reckless spending. Asking for more money spent does not mean that I want the days of insane wages and Michael Owen signings to return. Quite the contrary; I've been delighted with the business we've been doing and the personalities we have signed. I wouldn't want us dropping 15 million (see all my Andy Carroll posts) on one player. I just wanted SOME investment. We needed a young striker, we needed a CB and full back and we needed a winger that wasn't named Gabby Obertan (Marveux hasn't proven anything either). That's in addition to what we brought in. That said, I'd be a whole lot happier if we had at least made 2 of those 5 needed signings.

Now we have players a heartbeat away from critical matches that have no business being there.

Again, I agree, but if the right player isn't available at the price we can afford/are willing to pay, then we shouldn't spend money regardless.

re: the Debuchy situation, I'd not be surprised if he joined us in January, when we've driven down his price a bit/his worth to us has increased.

The same business model that brought us Cabaye, Tiote et al, cannot guarantee bargains every term and becomes worthless if we alter the strategy on a whim. We can't complain about it when we don't get phenomenal signings every year because the parameters for pursuing a player seem to be legion, reducing the number of targets to a narrow field.

CL was worth it for the chance to go to ridiculous places following the team - now that I've done that and even though I'd love to go to more places, winning a cup would absolutely dwarf that experience.

Regardless of where we are in the league, if Pardew plays a weak team in January in the FA cup, I'll be seriously pissed off.

Here's a list of the clubs that have won the League Cup but never qualified for the Champions League:

Aston Villa

Leicester City

Middlesbrough

Birmingham City

Here's a list of clubs that have played in the Champions League but never won the League Cup:

Newcastle United

Manchester City

Leeds United

Here's a list of the clubs that have done both:

Manchester United

Arsenal

Chelsea

Liverpool

Blackburn Rovers

Tottenham Spurs

Better to be in the third group clearly, but if you don't have the squad to do it, then it's pretty obvious that prioritising the League Cup doesn't make you anything other than a bit of an irrelevance in English football history. I bet Leeds fans with the full benefit of hindsight don't give a flying toss that they never won the League Cup in the same period that they were playing in Europe. Manchester City fans are clearly never going to lose sleep over not prioritising the League Cup. I feel not a single shred of sadness at never having won the League Cup in the Champions League era, and I would never ever swap our status as one of the clubs in the second group, just so we could join the ranks of those in the first.

Somd fucking fan you are :lol:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Football_League_Cup_Final

Guest CabayeAye

He's not a fan, he's another fuckin wum. Wouldn't know the Gallowgate End from his own bell end.

Knives oot!

TBF, J69 hasn't got a bellend. He IS a bellend.

;)

Guest CabayeAye

What exactly is so difficult for certain people to understand here? What exactly is the point in comparing success in the League Cup with the time before the European Cup became the all-important 'top 4' era Champions League in the context of the current question? It's the change in emphasis of a top 4 finish which is precisely why the League Cup became an utterly irrelevant trophy.

Congratulations. You are the first and only user on my ignore list.

Considering the weapons grade 'banter' on this board, that is some achievement.