Pardew, Carver and Stone Handed 8-Year Contracts

Andrew

Newcastle United have confirmed that manager Alan Pardew has agreed a new eight-year contract with the club.

Magpies owner Mike Ashleyspacer.gif appointed Pardew in late 2010 when he shocked many by axing Chris Hughtonspacer.gif who had guided the team to promotion from the Championship.

But Pardew's appointment has proved a hugely successful one, and he guided them to fifth in the Premier League last term which earned him the Premier League Manager of the Season and League Managers' Association Manager of the Year awards.

Pardew had four-years left on his deal, but Ashley has moved to reward the 51-year-old for his performance by handing him an eight-year contract.

Pardew's backroom staff have also seen their deals extended including assistant John Carverspacer.gif and first-team coach Steve Stone.

Ashley sees Pardew as the long-term future of the club, and wants him to be in place for more than a generation - similar to the spells of Sir Alex Fergusonspacer.gif at Manchester Unitedspacer.gif and Arsene Wenegr atArsenal.spacer.gif

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8114243/Newcastle-United-manager-Alan-Pardew-has-been-signed-a-new-eight-year-contract

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ridiculous.

if he's still here in 8 years, it's arses out all round in fenwicks' window

As Stevie said, it's more about scaring off the likes of Spurs than actually tying him to the club for 8 years. I'll bet there's an early release clause for Ashley's benefit if Pardew doesn't achieve set goals. Something like he has to guarantee; Premiership survival, there won't be consistent lower half finishes, we'll get a cup in 5 years, or whatever

As Stevie said, it's more about scaring off the likes of Spurs than actually tying him to the club for 8 years. I'll bet there's an early release clause for Ashley's benefit if Pardew doesn't achieve set goals. Something like he has to guarantee; Premiership survival, there won't be consistent lower half finishes, we'll get a cup in 5 years, or whatever

More like there's your hush money for the next 8 years Alan. Shut up and get on with it. Let's not kid ourselves

all these long contracts are very fishy iyam. Is this another cost cutting measure from Ashley?....are they on half the money a premier league coach or manager should be on so theyve doubled the length of a normal contract?....

This means if they leave for another club, NUFC have saved a fortune. If NUFC sack them, theyd have to pay the full 8 years money up. Which doesnt make a lot of sense for anyone tbh....its not an incentive to do well, but there will almost certainly be huge bonuses for success. Ashley does beleive in rewarding employees who have done well for him.

all these long contracts are very fishy iyam. Is this another cost cutting measure from Ashley?....are they on half the money a premier league coach or manager should be on so theyve doubled the length of a normal contract?....

This means if they leave for another club, NUFC have saved a fortune. If NUFC sack them, theyd have to pay the full 8 years money up. Which doesnt make a lot of sense for anyone tbh....its not an incentive to do well, but there will almost certainly be huge bonuses for success. Ashley does beleive in rewarding employees who have done well for him.

Can only see that happening if we're relegated, consistently finish lower half, misconduct or something similarly shit. In which case I'd imagine it'd be covered by clauses in the contract so we'd be able to release him early.

He wasn't on an 8yr deal, so I don't see your point?

Your point was you could only see us sacking him if he had a mare/got relegated etc. Hughton got us promoted with very little spent and was having a very good 2nd season and still got sacked despite most fans feeling his time here was a resounding success

not really ct, it's just an odd thing for any club to do signing an 8year deal

or a manager for that matter

I was joking.

At the end of the day its a good move to tie down key workers like this is you are happy with them. Ashley is. There will of course be various get outs on both sides no doubt ie for when England come knocking.

Your point was you could only see us sacking him if he had a mare/got relegated etc. Hughton got us promoted with very little spent and was having a very good 2nd season and still got sacked despite most fans feeling his time here was a resounding success

Then you've missed my point.

Pardew has been given a marathon contract, but Ashley won't have a lengthy contract without get out clauses in his favour. Hughton wasn't offered a long term deal because Ashley didn't want him long term.

It's two completely different situations, which you're fully aware of and are just being ornery.

Managing Director Derek Llambias said: "If you look at clubs like Manchester United and Arsenal, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger have shown that stability gives you the best platform to achieve success, and that is the model we wish to emulate here.

"We're looking to build on the success we had last season and these new contracts are aimed at keeping the Club progressing on and off the pitch, as we have done since returning to the Premier League in 2010.

"Alan has done a fantastic job over the last couple of years and has proved what a great Premier League manager he is. I have total respect for him in all football matters and have an excellent relationship with him which I think benefits the club enormously.

"Alan also has one of the best backroom teams in the country and I would like to thank John Carver, Steve Stone, and Andy Woodman for all their combined efforts.

"We hope this announcement will be great news for the fans, whose support and commitment to this club over the years has been fantastic."

Back in June 2012, Chief Scout Graham Carr, who has been instrumental in bringing a number of the current squad to the Club, was also rewarded with an eight-year contract.