Newcastle United v Manchester United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Alex Ferguson has gone on the record to say that he's never played a holding midfielder in his 25 years at the club, do you agree with that statement? Do you need to now?

Ferguson is always complimentary towards St James' Park and the Newcastle supporters, to what extent do you feel this is genuine?

Ford Super Sunday: Newcastle v Man Utd

3.30pm, Sun, Sky Sports 1 HD & Sky 3D

Manchester United have fallen behind in five out of six games this season and you can't afford to do that against the big boys.

They have come back against teams like Southampton and Fulham and even Cluj in the Champions League, but when they went behind to Tottenham (who I would class as a big boy) they ended up losing the game.

It will be the same story against Newcastle. If they go behind against them then I don't see them winning. They might get a draw but they won't win it because Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse have the pace to pick them off.

It's hard to explain why Man United aren't playing well. They've had injury troubles in defence and I think they need a world-class central midfielder if they are to be a threat in the Champions League.

You can't moan too much because they're still winning matches and a lot of teams would like to be in their position, but if you want to be double successful you can't keep playing like they are at the moment.

I'm going to go for a Newcastle win in this game. I just don't think Man United are playing well enough and the pace in Newcastle's side will cause them major problems.

If Ba and Cisse play well they can exploit a defence that's all over the place at the moment.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1

Newcastle v Man Utd

I covered Manchester United's win over Cluj in the Champions League on Tuesday and, even against ordinary opposition, Sir Alex Ferguson's side were still easy to play through, which was a worry for them.

It is good news for Ferguson that he has Darren Fletcher back in midfield, and that Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie works up front, but they looked very narrow going forward.

It is not often in the last 20 years you can say a United team lacked width in attack but it was a sign of a more cautious approach, even though you always felt that, once they equalised against the Romanians, they would go on and win the game.

The best United will get in the North East is a draw. And going on the attack is definitely Newcastle's best bet because they can get at this United defence.

The Magpies let the opposition play too, as Reading found out in their draw last week, but the form Demba Ba is in at the moment will make him very dangerous especially because Hatem Ben Arfa is capable of exploiting any weakness United have at the back.

Prediction: 1-1

... :unsure::suicide:

My first and possibly only game I'm getting over to this season. Had to buy membership to get tickets, can't wait!

I had been worried about a ManU backlash from the Spurs game, and we've looked fairly poxy so far. Cabaye & Tiote looked back into the swing of things and am I right in saying this is the first time Tiote, Cabaye and Anita are all available? Fingers crossed Colo is back too.

Barney jinxed this game if we lose.

I honestly feel we can get at these and give them trouble........BUT.........I just have a feeling the first goal gets a good win for whoever gets it. I can see heads dropping on one side and tails getting raised on the other, Whilst I anticipate Ba getting at their centre halves with Shola playing a part I also take a look at Anita's form plus Van Persie and Rooney licking their smug lips thinking of Williamson and Perch at centre half for us.

So big win for for the first scorers whomever it shall be.

I've seen us win 3 times in about 9 years. Sorry everyone.

Losses include Fulham, Wigan, Blackpool, draws with Wimbledon, Fulham, Bristol City, 10man West Ham and others. Also, I had a flight that couldn't leave for Barca in the Champs League. I was there in spirit though(we lost).

We didn't win 5-0 though!

Not saying we won't put any goals past them, but 5-0 is a little optimistic considering RVP's free-scoring form at the moment. We're going to have to just try and outscore them and use home advantage to do it.

Vidic just had an operation. Out for a while I think.

Jonny Evans is touch and go as well.

Provisional Man United squad:De Gea, Lindegaard, Rafael, Buttner, Evra, Ferdinand, Evans, Wootton, Keane, Powell, Cleverley, Anderson, Fletcher, Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Hernandez, Rooney, Welbeck, Van Persie, Kagawa.

Could be Wootton and Ferdinand at the back...