Virgin booted out at end of the season !!

Toonpack

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look great on shirts but a good company nonetheless, shame. Hopefully it's part of a stadium name/shirt sponsor duo. Ashley won't give up on having the stadium name changed so may as well let anyone not SD based have it

Guest Your Name Here

Won't happen.

Wish I shared you confidence. Every season since he's been here MA has come up with a way to promote SD on the back of NUFC. The signing on the Gallowgate, the signage on the roof, the sportdsdirect@sjp nonsense, the signage in the atrium, the signage on the dugout, the signage in the tunnel, the signage on the sponsors backboard, the signage on the East Stand and finally the full blown renaming of SJP. It just comes in dribs and drabs to reduce the protests.

There hasn't been any extra SD stuff this season and a stadium/shirt deal seems a cert. It'll head off questions about the showcasing a year on from SJP being renamed and allow them to blart on about how every player we buy has been funded by SD money.

It'll be an eight year deal with SD.

Club terminating contract early

http://uk.virginmone...o-end-early.jsp

Wonder who's in the wings

Well, Wikipedia lists the former members as:

Paul McCartney

Linda McCartney

Denny Seiwell

Denny Laine

Henry McCullough

Jimmy McCulloch

Geoff Britton

Joe English

Steve Holley

Laurence Juber

Means the Sports Direct board have been convinced to pay more than VIrgin?

It's going to be a bookies, will out tacky SD IMO, but so long as there's dosh in it.

Guest Your Name Here

Means the Sports Direct board have been convinced to pay more than VIrgin?

MA is the SD board.

MA obviously sees football as way to promote SD but shirt sponsorship are expensive, as stadiums naming rights. When he bought NUFC he got a chance to get this kind of stuff on the cheap, or at NUFC's expense if you look at the other way. I'd be amazed if SD pay anything like the market rate.

I've said this before but the logical extension of the SDification of NUFC is playing in red and blue and being called SD United.

Wish I shared you confidence. Every season since he's been here MA has come up with a way to promote SD on the back of NUFC. The signing on the Gallowgate, the signage on the roof, the sportdsdirect@sjp nonsense, the signage in the atrium, the signage on the dugout, the signage in the tunnel, the signage on the sponsors backboard, the signage on the East Stand and finally the full blown renaming of SJP. It just comes in dribs and drabs to reduce the protests.

There hasn't been any extra SD stuff this season and a stadium/shirt deal seems a cert. It'll head off questions about the showcasing a year on from SJP being renamed and allow them to blart on about how every player we buy has been funded by SD money.

It'll be an eight year deal with SD.

I fear the above but even I don't think he'd cut off a years sponsorship early to do this.

The Sports Direct board will need convincing to put their money into Ashley's personal project that he has managed so badly so far. After all, at the last AGM they scrapped the vote on his share package as they knew it would be defeated. Just because Ashley owns 70% of SD doesnt mean he takes the decisions.

Guest Your Name Here

I fear the above but even I don't think he'd cut off a years sponsorship early to do this.

Fair point. He does though like to strike when the going is good.

The other possibility is the shirt will be used to sponsor SD brands. Lonsdale one year, Blacks the next etc.

The fast tracking of new sponsor and the early announcement means it must be big money. Think it will be around 15-20m a year and I think we're looking at car makers or insurance. Something like that. There would be little fuss if it was just a tiny increase and in many ways Virgin are an excellent brand partner. Think it will a pleasant surprise although I did have an immediate dark moment. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Fair point. He does though like to strike when the going is good.

The other possibility is the shirt will be used to sponsor SD brands. Lonsdale one year, Blacks the next etc.

I thought about that but it makes no sense unless Slazenger or Dunlop make the kits. But we have a 3 year kit deal in place. The SD vanity brands have no leeway in sales impact as they no longer have an upmarket identity. Hopefully it will be Audi or Jeep or summink...I know Lufthansa have money sloshing around and are keen to get name placement outside Germany.

Edited by Park Life

and back in the real world he has a 71% shareholding.

:lol: I already flagged this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/spd/9523904/Sports-Direct-shareholders-reject-share-incentive-scheme-for-Mike-Ashley.html

I was already aware of his shareholding but i still went ahead and posted that 'perhaps the SD board are willing to pay more than Virgin?' because owning 70% of shares doesnt mean you can do absolutely anything you want.