The Times and The Guardian..

Scottish Mag

Allardyce in the wings as Souness awaits Cup fate

By George Caulkin

AFTER the most fraught week of his 16-month tenure at Newcastle United, Graeme Souness spoke yesterday of having “cleared the air” at a fractured club, yet the feeling persists that he will soon be clearing his desk. Several leading managers will be stricken by nerves as they prepare for the third round of the FA Cup, yet Newcastle’s result against Mansfield Town may have little bearing on the Scot ’s future.

Souness has reiterated his determination to see out a trying job at St James’ Park, but the decision could finally be removed from his hands by Freddy Shepherd. The chairman has made no public comment on the pressure bearing down on the man he appointed to succeed Sir Bobby Robson, but he is known to be dissatisfied with the direction of the team. The name of Sam Allardyce again looms large.

Souness has been hindered by a crippling list of injuries — Michael Owen, Scott Parker, Kieron Dyer and Steven Taylor are among the long-term absentees — yet sympathy is limited in the boardroom. If Newcastle were to lose to their Coca-Cola League Two opponents today, Souness’s position would become untenable, although many believe it has already progressed beyond that point.

Shepherd and Souness have met — largely to discuss transfers, according to the manager — but friction is present, even if it is indirect. Souness is in the middle of a bitter dispute with a local newspaper that has strong ties to Shepherd. There are political overtones.

Allardyce has expressed public disquiet at being linked with a post that is at present occupied, but the Bolton Wanderers manager, who turned down the opportunity to replace Robson in September 2004, remains Shepherd’s favoured candidate. Straightforward dismissal of Souness could cost as much as £3 million, but the compensation package that Bolton would demand for Allardyce is not believed to be excessive.

Having held discussions with Shepherd, aired his defiance in the media and assembled his squad for a passionate team meeting on Thursday, Souness felt that he had put a difficult few days behind him. “I’ve certainly cleared the air,” he said, “and I’ve acted in a way I feel is correct. I’m not target practice for anybody.” It would seem, however, that his employer is not in complete agreement.

Souness’s opposite number at Mansfield, Peter Shirtliff, the former Charlton Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday player, said: “I have sympathy, it can be cruel, but at the big clubs the expectation is there. It is a good time to play them.”

Shirtliff took over in November after a spell as caretaker manager after the resignation of Carlton Palmer. He has also had to deal with discontent among supporters but a win or draw at St James’ Park would certainly get the Mansfield fans smiling

And utter nonsense in the Independent...

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/co...ticle337034.ece

75722[/snapback]

zzzzzzzzz

stick to the tabloids ....

75724[/snapback]

Jesus Christ! He must have friends in high places or something, I can't believe the media backing he's getting.

75727[/snapback]

"He hasn't whined about injuries, as some top managers do when they have two or three"

hasn't he? So who was that sourfaced, talentless scottish cunt who's done it nearly every week since he got the job

75722[/snapback]

What a load of patronising crap. What that article says is that even though Souness is actually too good for us, we should stick with him because he was a great player and because he's a proper football man.

The Guardian seem to be quite sure that we're getting Allardyce in. Hopefully they're right.

75722[/snapback]

What a load of patronising crap. What that article says is that even though Souness is actually too good for us, we should stick with him because he was a great player and because he's a proper football man.

The Guardian seem to be quite sure that we're getting Allardyce in. Hopefully they're right.

75777[/snapback]

If we MUST have a british manager, I'd be happy with Allardyce but he why should he want to come when he rejected us before we were playing as we are now?

Deschamps, Hitzfeld, Le Guen, Hiddink etc should be given 1st priority.

Agree about the article, poor journalism. :lol: