HD 'ready'/'Full HD' TV

Nyff

Looking to get a new TV, mainly to play XBOX on. What are the best ones to get (for a fairly reasonable price) and what is the difference between something being full HD and just HD ready?

I thought it was just the HD thing that I would have to take into thought, but then seen some links on the internet that say there can sometimes be input lag and other things which affect the gaming experience...any ideas? Saw this one for a decent price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005U0V49Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= worth it?

26 Inch is what I have at the moment, but it is an old 'HD ready' TV so I'm not really getting the full experience for XBOX. Plugged my XBOX in to the TV back home and the difference is amazing. Have found a 32" Toshiba for £205 that looks fairly decent so will wait until my pay comes through today and decide to where to go from there...

Hd ready is 720p, Full HD is 1080p iirc. You wont notice the difference on anything smaller than a 42'' screen though

The difference you noticed between the 2 screens is down to the panel rather than it being 720/1080p.

You are using an hdmi/component lead arent you? Scart leads dont do HD

Edited by J69

Hd ready is 720p, Full HD is 1080p iirc. You wont notice the difference on anything smaller than a 42'' screen though

Not quite - ready is 1080i which is what sky use. 1080p only applies to blu-ray and games.

Not quite - ready is 1080i which is what sky use. 1080p only applies to blu-ray and games.

I didnt want to confuse him with i's and p's ;)

Makes nee difference on a 26'' telly btw

Again, not quite.

Progressive (P) and interlaced (i) are both HD formats and it is in the construct of the frame of each picture.

Progressive is a single frame, just like film, whereas interlaced is more like video and two fields are "interlaced" to make a frame - hence P is 24 (for cinema production) 25 for PAL countries and 30 for NTSC countries and interlaced is either 50 for PAL countries and 60 for NTSC.

Interlaced is better for movement, such as sport as it has less strobing in the picture.

HD ready usually means the television is capable of processing a HD signal but does not have an inbuilt HD tuner and requires a set top tuner.

So, the TV arrived today and I am a little underwhelmed. Back at home, the TV gave a much crisper image (it was a much smaller TV, too), yet I can't get such a nice image on this one. Any suggestions? When I plug in my Macbook via the HDMI cable it is beautifully crisp and clear, yet my XBOX 360 doesn't seem able to hit the same heights...

Tried a few settings but not getting much luck. Downloaded a bluray version of The Avengers last night which looked amazing when plugged in via my Macbook...can't quite understand why FIFA13 looks so much like FIFA98 on it....lots of jagged edges and not at all sharp.

Considering sending the TV back. Any other ideas for a decent TV around the £200 mark?