Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

It's plain to see that the outrage is because the company is a chav company and hopes were high for an airline, or a car manufacturer or whatever. My confusion is that I thought Virgin Money were paying £10m, and now Wonga are to be paying £8m? Or is it supposed to be £8m a year?

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought it interesting to mention that the electronic hoardings around St Mary's are showing a message 'sponsorship opportunities with SFC' basically advertising that you can advertise during the match. This means there is dead space on those hoardings during a game which shows how weak the market is.

Love the morality bullshit :D

Football pays notorious pieces of shit players £200K a week, the league is sponsored by the bank that screwed with the libor (how many people did the trickle down from that fuck over?) and no one bats an eyelid :rolleyes:

Most people sort of accept the player's shitbagness but I think shirt/gound sponsors are synonymous with the entire club. I pretty much think the "war" on illegal drugs is a sham given the damage tobacco and alcohol do but having said that I always thought having S&N in whatever guise linked to to NUFC was okay as the brand was part of NE culture no matter how much of a modern coroprate monstrosity the actual company was.

Being associated with Wonga is just so unclassy its ridiculous. I know that sounds like the Mackem's "class" bollocks but you have to have some sense of pride in your club even if you recognise the modern game is flawed.

We will be a club of tat from owner and his business through sponsors to kit and even the ground - a whole package*.

* I realise reports suggest this is just shirts but if thats the case he'll be on the lookout for a tat completeion partner for the ground as we speak - how about Primark or Poundland?

Most people sort of accept the player's shitbagness but I think shirt/gound sponsors are synonymous with the entire club. I pretty much think the "war" on illegal drugs is a sham given the damage tobacco and alcohol do but having said that I always thought having S&N in whatever guise linked to to NUFC was okay as the brand was part of NE culture no matter how much of a modern coroprate monstrosity the actual company was.

Being associated with Wonga is just so unclassy its ridiculous. I know that sounds like the Mackem's "class" bollocks but you have to have some sense of pride in your club even if you recognise the modern game is flawed.

We will be a club of tat from owner and his business through sponsors to kit and even the ground - a whole package*.

* I realise reports suggest this is just shirts but if thats the case he'll be on the lookout for a tat completeion partner for the ground as we speak - how about Primark or Poundland?

Doubt it, he'll be looking for whoever will pay most.

In fairness SD sells/makes some tat, but also sells/makes an awfull lot of acceptable "good stuff". The tat label is deeply rooted in the fact that it's Ashley.

Football sold its soul donkeys years ago.

Anyone who thinks what sponsor you have defines how classy you're club is, is a bit of tit really. And yes, people getting upset at Wonga while being fine with Emirates or Nike are either hypocrites, or just plain uninformed about the real world.

What is massively pissing me off though if this isn't a naming deal, is why can't we apparently sell the rights? You only need to watch the 5 minutes before a televised game at SJP to see what massive reach such a deal would have - watch that and you cannot escape SD - it's on the roof, on the pitch, in the tunnel, it's every fucking where. And that's being beamed right across the globe. And yet still no apparent interest from any other companies. I mean WTF?

why do you talk about yourself in the plural?

That's an example of me talking about myself is it? What is your malfunction exactly? Is it visual, do you have problems reading the tiny font on here? Or is it mental, do you have some form of retardation that stops you from understanding the nuances of the English language. Or is the real reason behind your hatred of the establishment rooted in the fact that you obviously got short changed in the education stakes, and came out of whatever school you attended less educated than when you went in.

i had a wonderful classical education

Anytime you want to actually prove that statement is not just more bollocks from a gibbering idiot, then the floor is all yours as they say (or in your case, never do and never would)....

The evidence of your lack of education is as they say, signed sealed and delivered. WE've all seen it, blue eyes.

green eyes actually

If we HAVE to sell the naming rights (and we don't imo), then don't sell it to a ridiculous sounding company like wonga ffs. I don't object to the company on principle (although they sound like wide boys), it's the fact their name on our stadium would be devoid of any dignity whatsoever. Wonga ffs. WONGA.

It's fucking hideous is what it is. Bad enough on the shirts, on the stadium it's horrible. If we're going to have something straight out of Only Fools & Horses, let's go for the Lovely Jubbly Arena.....

The stadium name is not changing so can we stop this silliness now

I would say it's silliness to assume that they're going to pay the reported £8m to put their name on the shirts alone. Just because Caulkin says he's been told something doesn't mean that's what will happen.

Wait and see by all means.

Anyone over the age of 21 wearing a replica shirt for anything other than playing football in needs to take a look in the mirror anyway

Thats a fair proportion of any match going crowd you're on about there. I don't wear them, but I know and like many who do....each to their own?...it has saved us on the odd occasion from a bit of trouble too away from SJP....the Fred Perry/Stone Island brigade don't really want to mix it with The "shirts" ;)