Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

I'd never heard the phrase Scotchy until I was 27, when an old fella said it in the post office in Spital Tongues, where I was living at the time; there were a lot of old folks from the West End living in that tower block there & many of them talked about the area as Scotchwood; I've never heard anyone who isn't West End raised or based using it.

I first heard charva in 1993, in relation to the Byker to Shields metro line being called The Charva Express.

Incidentally, it is believed that "ccarva" & "gadgey" came in to English from Romani, meaning child ("Chavvy") & outsider ("gadji") respectively; seems plausible to me....

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone's wondering why ChezGiven made the previous post towards me, it's because he's been humiliated by Stevie & exposed as a know nothing liar & so decided to try & take his anger out on the first person he thought he could curry favour by having a pop at; sadly, he's failed.

Incorrect Gene, I may think you're a bit of a bell but I just saw the opportunity to gently take the piss. Sorry you took it so badly. Fuck me people are easily riled :lol:

I still haven't got over you saying you don't read my posts. I may need therapy

It doesn't run through them at all, there's between 1/4 and 1/2 a mile buffer before there's any population to the North of Scotswood Road. Everyone? Well a kid born and bred hadn't heard it, and someone from the coast said it was very uncommon, while you made the ludicrous claim it originated down there.

A lass from Holywell (which never in a million years is "the coast") said it was uncommon, Chez from the coast, me from the coast, my lads from the coast all have heard it used commonly.

Would reckon it originated at the coast tbh, Metro opened 1980, easy for town kids to jump it (you couldn't jump the train easily) and get to the coast and was a word likely used to describe the scruffy interlopers.

:lol: I'm still waiting to find out what part of town Scotswood road runs through.

In all seriousness I was just winding Stevie up when I said that because how can anyone know where words originated from. It was just such a derogatory term it struck me as likely not to be made up by the scotchys themselves. However, when Stevie said it was a phrase only people from the west end knew, i was compelled to tell him he was talking shit. It doesn't really matter if it was word kids from the town made up or elsewhere but all my mates used it to refer to what Stevie now calls paraffins.

How do you know the history of the term, how do you know where it originated? All I know I I was using the term many years before you were. Unless you've been discussing slang terms In use in the 1970s with another qualified professional.

So if the road can't be described as running through those 3 places, tell me Stevie which areas of Newcastle does it run through?

Runs along the riverside, definitely not THROUGH any of these places.

I'd never heard the phrase Scotchy until I was 27, when an old fella said it in the post office in Spital Tongues, where I was living at the time; there were a lot of old folks from the West End living in that tower block there & many of them talked about the area as Scotchwood; I've never heard anyone who isn't West End raised or based using it.

Mirrors my thoughts exactly.

A lass from Holywell (which never in a million years is "the coast") said it was uncommon, Chez from the coast, me from the coast, my lads from the coast all have heard it used commonly.

Would reckon it originated at the coast tbh, Metro opened 1980, easy for town kids to jump it (you couldn't jump the train easily) and get to the coast and was a word likely used to describe the scruffy interlopers.

Without doubt and unequivocally you are a cock anyway and I'd say that to your face, but this just adds weight to the argument. It has nothing to do with the coast, it's a Newcastle word, used everywhere. The odd divvy from the coast may have picked it up, but that's natural when people are trying to align themselves to the regional capital.

:lol: I'm still waiting to find out what part of town Scotswood road runs through.

In all seriousness I was just winding Stevie up when I said that because how can anyone know where words originated from. It was just such a derogatory term it struck me as likely not to be made up by the scotchys themselves. However, when Stevie said it was a phrase only people from the west end knew, i was compelled to tell him he was talking shit. It doesn't really matter if it was word kids from the town made up or elsewhere but all my mates used it to refer to what Stevie now calls paraffins.

I didn't say it was a phrase ONLY people from the west end knew, you got emotional when I said it was largely a Newcastle word, it is, and even more emotional when you were referring to people who lived ON Scotswood Road when no one has lived there for nigh on 40 years. Gene and I haven't always seen eye to eye, but what he said is basically fact imo.

I was brought up in the East End and I can't remember hearing the term scotchie at all. In fact I can't say I hear it much at all even now. Charver was an old fashioned Geordie word largely forgotten which then started to get used again about 1991 and the time of the West end/Meadowell riots.

Edited by Howmanheyman

Runs along the riverside, definitely not THROUGH any of these places.

So why wont you answer my question, which area of Newcastle is it in then?

You said

Scotchie is a phrase only people from the West End and beyond seem to know

I said

Shite

Unless you mean in the known universe beyond the west end, in which case the word only was redundant.

Without doubt and unequivocally you are a cock anyway and I'd say that to your face, but this just adds weight to the argument. It has nothing to do with the coast, it's a Newcastle word, used everywhere. The odd divvy from the coast may have picked it up, but that's natural when people are trying to align themselves to the regional capital.

Word usage angst :D

Anyway the thought that the nice folks of the coast would want to align themselves with anything "town" is laughable, our disdain starts to rise as you progress along the river from Tynemouth, getting greater and greater with each passing, progressively worse example of Scotchie-ville's from Shields to Blaydon.

Stick to kicking your Netto economy-beans tin around your back lane (mind the dogshit!) and leave thoughts of our wide open spaces and beaches to us.

Which area is Newcastle Business Park in? It certainly isn't Elswick or Benwell yet Scotswood Road is 20 feet away from it. You're backtracking on a few things. You clearly made a mistake by saying the term Scotchy comes from people living on Scotswood Road. Why did you say this? Are you humble enough to admit the obvious that you didn't realise anyone had lived on Scotswood Road since the 1960's? ON Scotswood Road means, on Scotswood Road, curious to understand why you said this, without admitting your mistake rather than trying to cover it up.

You said "Scotchie is a phrase only people from the West End and beyond seem to know"

I said shite

Unless you mean in the known universe beyond the west end, in which case the word only was redundant.

Where exactly are my defined parameters of beyond. You'll have to explain why "beyond" to you means exclusively the West End too, which is what you did. Three or four times I said other people in Newcastle, then you started on with the nigger and black anaolgy, when clearly it is other people from Newcastle who use the term "Scotchy", more than people actually from Scotswood and as three or four have mentioned the word is largely not used outside of Newcastle and even in the East End which is what I thought. The only person who vaguely agrees with you is Toonpack, his opinions are null and void before he's even written anything, and he's an arsehole who would say Vanessa Feltz is thin if I said she was fat. People should concentrate on things they know like finance and fiscal policies, rather than discussing things they don't, contradicting people who do and ending up looking foolish.

Edited by McFaul

I know its tongue in cheek, but have you been to Whitley? :lol:

That said, of course inner city places are rough as fuck (mostly).

Whitley's demise started with the Metro and the ease of access it gave to townies (jumping through non existent barriers, without paying their fare, I might add), familiarity breeds contempt, townies or rather Scotchies (as we coasties called them) started to think they belonged in Whitley and so spent more and more time there, wondering at such marvels as the sea and sand and proper football pitches, available to all. Thus sadly dragging Whitley down. (I haven't mentioned the tennis courts as I would guess Scotchies would not know what they were).

Which area is Newcastle Business Park in? It certainly isn't Elswick or Benwell yet Scotswood Road is 20 feet away from it. You're backtracking on a few things. You clearly made a mistake by saying the term Scotchy comes from people living on Scotswood Road. Why did you say this? Are you humble enough to admit the obvious that you didn't realise anyone had lived on Scotswood Road since the 1960's? ON Scotswood Road means, on Scotswood Road, curious to understand why you said this, without admitting your mistake rather than trying to cover it up.

Where exactly are my defined parameters of beyond. You'll have to explain why "beyond" to you means exclusively the West End too, which is what you did. Three or four times I said other people in Newcastle, then you started on with the nigger and black anaolgy, when clearly it is other people from Newcastle who use the term "Scotchy", more than people actually from Scotswood and as three or four have mentioned the word is largely not used outside of Newcastle and even in the East End which is what I thought. The only person who vaguely agrees with you is Toonpack, his opinions are null and void before he's even written anything, and he's an arsehole who would say Vanessa Feltz is thin if I said she was fat. People should concentrate on things they know like finance and fiscal policies, rather than discussing things they don't, contradicting people who do and ending up looking foolish.

I totally agree with Chez, he's right.

Trust a Scotchie to be thick :rolleyes:

I totally agree with Chez, he's right.

Trust a Scotchie to be thick :rolleyes:

Your presence here as ever, a lesson to all new posters in conveying an opinion in how to go on, an interesting shining beacon of a poster.

Your presence here as ever, a lesson to all new posters in conveying an opinion in how to go on, an interesting shining beacon of a poster.

Hey, I'm literate, what can I say ???