Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

Putting to one side the hideousness of all this, its quite clear now how clever devious they have been at Newcastle.

Had we gone straight from SJP to Wonga there would have been absolute hell on and it would be very toxic for the brand. The fact that we have had the Sports Direct Arena first will have softened most up and the most likely reaction from match goings fans will be "Wonga, fucking hell"... and then onto the next pint.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While distasteful, it won't effect my enjoyment of supporting Newcastle in the same way as the SDA has never really entered my awaking hours.

And the extra Wonga will hopefully come in handy .

I agree with this.

Putting to one side the hideousness of all this, its quite clear now how clever devious they have been at Newcastle.

Had we gone straight from SJP to Wonga there would have been absolute hell on and it would be very toxic for the brand. The fact that we have had the Sports Direct Arena first will have softened most up and the most likely reaction from match goings fans will be "Wonga, fucking hell"... and then onto the next pint.

If true, that serves only to demonstrate the stupidity of your average fan.

Not just your average fan though. Most on here have thought there was never any intention of a new name and that it was just a scam to call it Sports Direct.

* I only class on here as not average due to the fact we congregate to discuss Newcastle matters daily and not because I think we are an elite superfan base. ;)

Not a surprise though, apathy set in to the club ages ago when the fans realised they couldn't do anything about Fat Mike's reign or the younger ones started to think he was 'alright'. Amazing the amount of cracks a few goals can paper over.

Not a surprise though, apathy set in to the club ages ago when the fans realised they couldn't do anything about Fat Mike's reign or the younger ones started to think he was 'alright'. Amazing the amount of cracks a few goals can paper over.

I think my stance was typical. Reluctant acceptance of the new policies and while detest the whole MA/DL way, was only concentrating on the football.

It's like watching a good film while your dog eats your best shoes.

Ah well, SD not quite to tacky any more :D

For those getting precious about how the sponsors make their money, have you seen the civil rights record of those behind Ehitad/Emirates etc. Even Nike (which everyone would have thought was fine) get their shit made in third world sweat shops.

If you berate the club for not maximising commercial revenue you can't bleat when someone "you don't like" is willing to pay more than the last sponsors.

IF this is true, surely those who "foresaw" the SD sponsorship consipracy i.e. less money to the club than Virgin, must be extremely happy.

Whoever pays most, gets the gig, isn't that what we all wanted ??

There's probably not any football sponsor who somewhere along the line doesn't have a connection to, track record or history of practices that inflame our sensibilities (Northern Rock - which was fine by all as a sponsor - for example, could take peoples houses off them when those people are at their lowest ebb).

If someone's pile of cash is bigger than someone else's, so be it. That's the modern game folks.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

It's a cockney slang word for money. Aptly describes what has happened to our club.

Edited by trophyshy

Not just the younger one's ;) Now I wouldn't say he's alright, he's a weapons grade twat, but I'd rather have a shark running the club than a minnow as I have accepted what "the game is", hate LOTS of it (am firmly in the Gemmill camp when it comes to "the game"), but it is what it is.

Also a few goals have always papered over the cracks in football, always will.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

It's a cockney slang word for money. Aptly describes what has happened to our club.

What's happened to our club is one company is prepared to pay more than the last, if someone else came in with a bigger wad they'd get the gig, end of.