Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See there's nowt wrong with wearing a replica shirt to a match or around the house.

It's only wearing it out, especially on a night out that it's firmly within chav/plastic soopafan territory. Except vintage shirts, they're allowed. ;)

I wear mine in two places. The match (current strip) or the gym (older tops or other strips I like that I buy - currently botafogo & acm)

Newcastle Wonga shirts to cost £2,520 if fans pay for them at end of season

Newcastle fans keen to get their hands on a new Wonga-sponsored replica shirt can get one free today, as long as they’re happy paying £2,520 for it at the end of the season.

Newcastle-wonga-shirt.jpg

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley insisted the new sponsorship deal was great for the industry, as it had been a while since football fans outside Newcastle have had something really humiliating to laugh at.

A club spokesperson explained, “Wonga are synonymous with people too stupid to use a calculator – so take that mental picture, then just take off their shirts and you’ve got yourself a Geordie fan right there.”

“It’s also a great deal for fans, and they can all get a brand new free Newcastle shirt today if they just sign this teeny little binding agreement right here – who doesn’t like that?”

“Of course, our new sponsors have to charge a reasonable rate of interest – which is 4200% APR like all their other loans – but it’s there in the fine print so we’re being totally up front about it.”

“No-one is getting ripped off and Wonga is definitely a legitimate business that is not exploitative in any way whatsoever.”

Newcastle Wonga deal

The terms of the deal will also see a number of changes throughout the Newcastle match-day experience.

The spokesperson went on, “In keeping with our new sponsor’s business practises, a pint will cost you £3 before the game, £4 at half-time, and £6 if you wait until the end of the game to pay for it.”

“Also, in all team talks and press interviews our manager Alan Pardew will be contractually obliged to demand all players give him 4,200% effort.”

Source: http://newsthump.com...-end-of-season/

Edited by Craig

There is man. If you're 50 and you're getting dressed up in your special match costume like what the men on the pitch wear, that's weird.

Exactly :lol:

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago ripping the piss out of Scousers for doing exactly the same

I can just about forgive folks that have a vintage replica top, but grown men that worry about the material the new top is made out of because it won't be flattering tho their figures, or the way the new logo wont look as trendy as the old one . . . . give owa!

And don't make me go hunting for the posters who said as much this summer!

I bought a 1984 retro shirt at the Bordeaux game as I'd came straight from work & my work shirt was getting on my nerves - so I wore that to the match & I'm normally happy with just a scarf over a random t shirt.

This top is lush like, I may take to wearing it for the games. :banana:

As much as I like to see the new top & hope for a nice one the last shirt I bought was a 10/11 Ben Arfa 11 (bnwt ;) ) on ebay. I just don't fancy spending £60 on a shirt, that said I'll happily by a foreign shirt on holiday.

Virgin were paying 3mill a season according to the daily mail....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2214546/Newcastle-United-sign-shirt-sponsorship-deal-Wonga.html?openGraphAuthor=%2Fhome%2Fsearch.html%3Fs%3D%26authornamef%3DSportsmail%2BReporter

We wore Northern Rock for how many seasons after 2008?.... are Wonga a worse brand than NR?...

This is going to be my last ST. I can't bare this regime any longer.

Serious question, how is the fact that Wonga are prepared to offer more cash (it would appear) than anyone else, a "regime" thing. They've sponsored "lower" level clubs, makes sense they'd look to move up. What is the big deal ?? It's more a "football" thing than a "regime" thing IMO.

Im past caring already. Changing the name of St james is infinitely worse than being sponsored by Wonga imo.

Weve been sponsored by breweries and crooked banks in the past and no one flickered an eye lid. Yes I can think of better companies to be sponsored by but £8mil is £8mil. Some people are going on like we are being sponsered by Joseph Kony

Unequivocally yes.

am not so sure....how much has Wonga cost the taxpayer?

Wonga's morals may be questionable, but are they in a way just taking advantage of a situation that the likes of Northern Rock caused in the first place?....cant say I'm too impressed, but it may well be a shirt only deal which will let Ashley keep SD's advertising "deal" in place at SJP itself. 52k appeared to be able to put up with that yesterday.

Serious question, how is the fact that Wonga are prepared to offer more cash (it would appear) than anyone else, a "regime" thing. They've sponsored "lower" level clubs, makes sense they'd look to move up. What is the big deal ?? It's more a "football" thing than a "regime" thing IMO.

Wrong. The renaming of the stadium sickens me, and Wonga would be the last straw. I've got better things to do with my time and money. If that makes me a shit fan then do be it. Football needs a reboot imo.

J69, a year ago you were telling everyone that they needed to stand up for themselves by boycotting the matches etc.

A year later and you've gone completely the other way, and they can do anything they like.

This sort of behaviour is not befitting of a Son of Anarchy.

:lol: My fickleness only adds to my bad boy persona

I'm not advocating the club doing what they want at all. It was only 2 weeks ago I was up in arms about APs 8 year deal because I honestly believe it's hush money.

Sponsorship is something that has happened for decades though. We only had a year left with Virgin at, allegedly, £3mil pa. If another company comes in a wants to give us £8mil pa then it doesn't make sense to turn it down. It's not exactly a prestigious company but it's £24mil that doesn't need to be saved elsewhere hopefully.

Wrong. The renaming of the stadium sickens me, and Wonga would be the last straw. I've got better things to do with my time and money. If that makes me a shit fan then do be it. Football needs a reboot imo.

Good fan, bad fan, shit fan, who gives a shit. If you're older than 25 and your existence and your judgement of others is defined by how good or bad you/they are at supporting a football team, then you've got some growing up to do.

Not that I'm suggesting it is a big defining factor in your life btw

It's a class thing apparently.

Football snobbery! LOL.

Anyone finally spitting their dummy out at Wonga is either a total hypocrite or has just had their eyes shut for the last few years. FMA has been such a cunt to this club, from now on there's nothing he could do that would actually increase my contempt of him bar relocating the club to Whitley Bay.

Bit harsh on the bloke. How many other chaiman of the club have put a penny in, let alone 200 odd million?....

Wonga is a joke, but at least it comes in that speech bubble, meaning we don't have to have a big patch half way through the stripes like on this years shirt. Small gain at least, I definitely need to stop getting players names on the back of shirts though since this will be the last year of my teens :lol:. To be fair there's nothing wrong with buying a replica shirt as long as you don't get 'Smithy 69 er' or something printed on.