sunderland v Newcastle United (a) 21/10/2012

The Fish

Agree with Chez re. the Colo sub.

As far as the red card is concerned, I look forward to a successful appeal against it.

Up to and beyond that, we looked comfortable.

Frustrating game thanks to some appalling reffing.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So every foul is the same in your book? :lol:

No, but in the name of consistency, you'd have expected a couple of yellow's out of 14 fouls, if 16 = 4 yellows and one red.

I can think of two Larsons kick in Shola's chest, and Gardners taking out of Santon 2nd half, which should have been yellow. Cuellar's "non foul" through the back of BA was worth a yellow by today's standards an all.

Edited by Toonpack

Tell you what Pardew loves wind-ups doesn't he? Clearly got in a "we were much the better team and were clearly going to win before the sending off". MON will no doubt have the arse... :lol:

No, but in the name of consistency, you'd have expected a couple of yellow's out of 14 fouls, if 16 = 4 yellows and one red.

I can think of two Larsons kick in Shola's chest, and Gardners taking out of Santon 2nd half, which should have been yellow. Cuellar's "non foul" through the back of BA was worth a yellow by today's standards an all.

I was being facetious. I agree about Larson's - agreed. Don't forget two of ours was for dissent though.

Thanks for that insight. Any idea why they are one of few?

I'm guessing that at some point there'll have been a Sunderland Rugby Football Club too. SAFC probably stuck with them and it seemed wrong to drop the 'A'.

We were the better side, they only dominated the game when the time spent down to 10 men started to sap the energy from the legs. The fact that Larsson and Cuellar didn't get booked just shows how bad Atkinson was. On the red card, I agree with Pards but if he had just given a yellow there wouldn't have been any controversy.

Thanks for that insight. Any idea why they are one of few?

James Allan arrived in Sunderland from Scotland to teach at Hendon Board School in 1877. He had developed an interest in football while at Glasgow University but discovered that rugby was the predominant winter team sport in the North-East. As Roger Hutchinson points out in Into the Light (1999) "Allan uncovered a group of other teachers in the area who shared his interest in righting this wrong, and at a meeting in Norfolk Street in the October of 1879 the Sunderland and District Teachers' Association Football Club was formed."

The team originally played at Blue House Field that was close to the Hendon Board School where James Allan was employed. The captain was Robert Singleton, the headmaster of Gray School in Sunderland. Other school teachers in the side included John Graystone and Walter Chappell.

Allan and his friends rented the ground at Hendon for £10 a year. They also had to pay the travelling cost of taking a team to away games throughout the North-East. At a meeting in October 1880 they discussed the possibility of closing the club. However, it was eventually decided to raise the money by opening it up to non-teaching members. As a result the club changed its name to Sunderland Association Football Club.

As the author of Sunderland: The Official History points out: "The club was formed not by shipbuilders or miners, but by school teachers, local school master James Allan having taken the initiative in organising such a venture. More surprisingly still, the teachers not only formed the club, but made up the entire team too, and the club's original name - Sunderland and District Teachers' Association Football Club - reflected this."

At the time rugby and cricket were Sunderland's main sports. Another problem was that there were only three other football teams in the whole of County Durham. This meant that the team had to do a lot of travelling to get games. This included matches against clubs such as Sedgefield, Bishop Middleham, Ferryhill, Ovingham and Newcastle Rangers.

MON will no doubt have the arse... :lol:

It's his fault they didn't look like winning it as he's got no plan b or c.

At half time Cabeye looked knackered & MON was to stupid/scared to go after the match.

The longer Sessegnon was on the pitch, the less chance they had of getting anything.

Agree that this type of foul shouldnt result in a red card. But in this day and age it does more often than not. And players should know that, especially with a stupid twit like Atkinson around. Silly of Tiote to do that therefore imo

With 11 men we'd have walked that game, i'd expect that that challenge to be a yellow alot more often than a red from referees, but Tiote shouldn't have given him any choice, it was a stupid tackle, but most times he'd have got off with a booking. And the mackems are every bit as shite as i've expected them to be, 60 mins against 10 men at home and you manage 2 efforts on target, one of them a deflection, they are an embarassment really.

I would like to know why Colo was taken off when he seemed to just have cramp as that cost us, while was on the pitch they could have played another 90 mins and i doubt they have scored.

I would like to know why Colo was taken off when he seemed to just have cramp as that cost us, while was on the pitch they could have played another 90 mins and i doubt they have scored.

First game back from injury and he pulled up with cramp - probably trying to be safe than sorry - I'd rather we didn't lose him for the coming weeks.

First game back from injury and he pulled up with cramp - probably trying to be safe than sorry - I'd rather we didn't lose him for the coming weeks.

Especially with Tiote out for at least 3 games.

edit with that in mind, Pardew better play Tiote for the next 2 European matches.

Edited by sammynb

Possibly, it just seemed when his number came up that he looked surprised as if to say, he was fine and hadn't indicated to the bench he was in bother, usually with cramp its always fine once you get the treatment. But it has to be said he was so far ahead of everyone on that pitch, MOTM by a mile.

Possibly, it just seemed when his number came up that he looked surprised as if to say, he was fine and hadn't indicated to the bench he was in bother, usually with cramp its always fine once you get the treatment. But it has to be said he was so far ahead of everyone on that pitch, MOTM by a mile.

Physio's call perhaps?

Especially with Tiote out for at least 3 games.

edit with that in mind, Pardew better play Tiote for the next 2 European matches.

Can we serve domestic suspensions in European games?

Absolutely unlucky to come away from that without 3 points. We were creating the better chances even with 10 men. We were solid in defence today and credit must go to the lads for a spirited performance. Still gutted that we couldn't get the 3 points when the scum barely created one clear cut chance.

The refereeing today was shambolic. It wasn't a red card for me, especially when Atkinson was so card-shy today.

Also, I just don't understand why some of the punditry and commentary is so anti-Newcastle. Is there a specific reason behind that? Listening to some people's biased expertise makes me cringe,

A truly well deserved point, unfortunately it wasn't three but can't I fault Ba for being in the box to defend.

The red card was a little harsh, a yellow would have been adequate. It wasn't deliberate and Tiote was coming off being fouled himself and we got the free kick for that.

The refereeing had the earmarks of being one-sided throughout.

I will continue to question Pardew's vision everytime he puts Obertan on, especially when you're down to 10 men and trying to hang on to the game.

Thought Williamson was excellent today an all, Colo was imperious though.

We should consider cashing in on Tiote in Jan/the summer, still don't accept it was a justified red but he's evidently been booked something like 27 times in 54 games, ref's are looking for him.

the co-commentator on sky sports was shocking for me, dont know who but I agree with some not a red card, kicked his shin pad and he rolled as if in more pain than barfa when he broke his leg , niall quinn in the studio too for a neutral audience lol tho he wasnt bad to be fair

Also, I just don't understand why some of the punditry and commentary is so anti-Newcastle. Is there a specific reason behind that? Listening to some people's biased expertise makes me cringe,

Perhaps its us Newcastle fans that hold the bias?