sunderland v Newcastle United (a) 21/10/2012

The Fish

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. I didn't think it was a red at the time, and don't think it's a red now. What I take into account is that he's being pulled back by Colbeck. You can see he's trying to pull he weight forward but Ginger is holding him back. When the whistle blows, he lets go and Tiote looks to try harder to reach the ball. Now if he wasn't being pulled back, that 'challenge' would have met the ball, so I believe by Colbeck pulling, it causes the 'challenge' to happen. I don't think the ref has taken the whole situation into consideration. He's just seen the boot high and sent him off. Shame because we would have completely destroyed them.

He gave a free kick for the foul on Tiote, so of course he took it into account, but its irrelevant to the fact Tiote went in late and high and desparate to try and win back the ball he had lost control of.

The only possible justification for a sending off that I can see is that it was high. It was arguably high because he was off balance. But either way I don't think it was that high or that dangerous.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Tiote went in late. The ball was there to go for just Fletcher got there first. This happens all the time in games. Sometimes one player is just quicker than the other. There's nothing malicious, dangerous or reckless about it and for me the only reason for it to result in a card is if the player fouled is getting through on goal.

It was clearly late though.

If he got there when the ball was gone and he made contact with the player then he was late. It happens in every game, but the decision on how recklessly late the challenge was is being argued.

Tiotes foot could have been planted late which would have been much less dangerous and probably a free kick if he player that won the ball went over it. He could have nicked Fletchers toe late in a clearer 50 50 and it would have been a yellow. But it wasn't close to 50 50 and he went in at shin level, which means you can't complain about the ref not showing leniancy.

Let's not forget that Atkinson was behind, so he couldn't see where Tiote was looking and more importantly - couldn't see it from the angle of those photos.

From behind it probably looked like a shocking tackle and given Fletcher's (albeit milked) reaction then he's had no choice regardless of how poorly his officiating was otherwise.

I still don't think it was a sending off though, but I can understand why Atkinson showed red. The only annoying thing is Sunderland going unpunished for kicking lumps out of us yet again. As I said before the game, I'm glad Cattermole wasn't playing as he just shouldn't be allowed to fly in on other professionals the way he does.

From behind it probably looked like a shocking tackle and given Fletcher's (albeit milked) reaction then he's had no choice regardless of how poorly his officiating was otherwise.

He could have consulted with his linesman, who was standing about as close as he possibly could to the incident. Instead, the card was out of his top pocket before he had the chance to think about it. That makes me think that he must have got a pretty good view of it, otherwise he's given an instant decision based on the reaction of Fletcher and the crowd.

Let's not forget that Atkinson was behind, so he couldn't see where Tiote was looking and more importantly - couldn't see it from the angle of those photos.

I still don't think it was a sending off though, but I can understand why Atkinson showed red. The only annoying thing is Sunderland going unpunished for kicking lumps out of us yet again. As I said before the game, I'm glad Cattermole wasn't playing as he just shouldn't be allowed to fly in on other professionals the way he does.

I totally agree with this. I said when they first showed it from the Ref's angle that it looked a bad challenge. I don't think he made a mistake with his decision in that sense.

I also think given that it was high, there was enough in it to mean there's no chance of it being overturned, which is exactly the angle I think Pardew is coming from with it.

That still doesn't change my opinion that it shouldn't have been more than a booking. Even if I would have been shouting for a red card (not for long I don't think though) if the situation was reversed. I don't think it was worse than Cabaye's challenge last season for example and even the makems have pretty much forgot about that now!

He could have consulted with his linesman, who was standing about as close as he possibly could to the incident. Instead, the card was out of his top pocket before he had the chance to think about it. That makes me think that he must have got a pretty good view of it, otherwise he's given an instant decision based on the reaction of Fletcher and the crowd.

I think his view was clear but it was just from the wrong angle. From his position I think it would have looked clear enough to make the decision without consulting his assistant. Fletcher and mongs reaction will have made it even easier for him like!

I still don't accept it was a red card...BUT...it's done now and we have to go along with it.

After all, there will be games this season where similar will happen against one of our players and we will all be screaming blue murder at the ref to send off the player.

It's amazing what adrenalin and passion can do to a football fan isn't it.

I love how our foreigners played like local lads though. Jonas, Ba, Santon, Colo, Ben Arfa, Cabaye all got kicked to fuck but got back up and got on with it. Fletcher, McLean and Johnson looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but on the pitch.

We have some proper legends in the making in this squad to follow on from Pav, Nobby, Dabizas etc.

UNder the circumstances, the challenge merited a yellow. Larsson should have been booked for dangerous play and also for a blatent handball in the box which should have been a penalty. The ref was an absolute disgrace and gave us sweet f a

As for their fans wishing ST was dead, scum the lot of them

Is it just me who doesn't have a massive issue with the Taylor chant? Sure it's a bit twisted, but isn't it just derby day banter? I dont think either side can take a holier than thou stance. It's all just shits n giggles.

Personally i think ST needs to win a trophy for "biggest fucking CHOMP ever" he went fishing and needs a bigger boat :lol:

"oooh Jimmy Saville is Cattermole's dad" wasnt in the best taste either, but it was fuckin funny :lol:

They came back with nothing, they're fuckin useless in that regard...no piss takes about Wonga etc..plenty of ammo there, but they were shite.

No yellow or even a free kick for Cuella for the tackle from behind on Ba.No yellow/red for larson for kicking Shola in the chest.The red for Tiote was correct.His foot was high and dangerously so.He wanted to leave his mark and he did.Johnson didn't help the situation by seeking out the ref to put pressure on him to show a red.Fletcher recovered quickly from his broken leg mind.No team goes down as easily as the makems.Dive after dive after dive.

FTM

The security guard at Nissan told me every pupil in his bairns class were given 2 free tickets for the derby game.She attends a junior school in Hylton Castle.Her parents sold them on the net.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

I'd just like to let readers know that Stephen Taylor went out of his way to go back and hold open a door for us in the rain at Silverlink today .

I await notification of BigCatts doing similar at The Bridges . .

Edited by LoveTheBobby

:) He was coming through the door kinda undercover with his hood up. Once his barnet was safely undercover he went back and opened door that had drifted . Clearly a genuine fella . I thanked him accordingly and only after leaving did I regret not congratulating hom on "having no friends that are Sunderland fans"

Putting his poster up in the lounge later . New hero .

• 4 weeks later...