If we were to sign 2 players in January

Andrew

The fact he was dubbed the new Florent Malouda probably shows how trustworthy that article was. Completely different players.

Most articles described him as the "the next Malouda" at that time really... even when Liverpool wanted him they still used that term.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon CT used to write the gossip columns. Everybody is the new somebody whether it works or not.

Like a Young Shay Given/Rob Lee/Stephen Glass/Daniel Cordone/Nikolas Papivasolou/John Carver or whatever....

That's just lazy Anglo-centric journalism though. Nowt new and certainly nowt to base an opinion on.

Or could be our cheap manager Pardew doesn't understand how to use a new Malouda effectively.

"A major recruitment drive to strengthen the first team and the wider squad. And that means a right back, centre back and striker are on the agenda".

I think it then says something about "Newcastle sources being supremely confident of unveiling a player on Jan 1st"....?

Journal claiming we are realling going for it this window from what I can make out with my old eyes.

Maybe they're hoping to sell a few papers on the back of this speculation as well.

Maybe they're hoping to sell a few papers on the back of this speculation as well.

Could be, but in fairness to Douglas he is usually the first to pour scorn on idle speculation. You could say he is the Monroe Transfer of the paper world.

6 hours earlier he was tweeting that people were getting very over excited about the Loic Remy deal as it was only just getting off the ground.

Anyway, a week to go and silly season will be hear regardless. :lol:

Aye, hes now changed his tune overnight :lol:

Newcastle United hope for early deal for Loïc Rémy

NEWCASTLE United want to do all of their January business early in the New Year window – starting with a cut-price £8million move for Loïc Rémy.

The Journal understands that the club are ready to embark on a major recruitment drive in the transfer window to strengthen both the first team and the wider squad – both of which have been stretched to breaking point by the demands of fighting on four fronts.

And that means a right-back, a centre-back and a striker are on the agenda, with Newcastle sources supremely confident of landing at least one player that can be unveiled on January 1.

They want to conduct their business early and have carried out preliminary talks with Marseille about Rémy, who has indicated to his representatives he wants to join United’s French revolution.

The club believe that they need reinforcements to be secured early in the window because they are targeting the FA Cup as a competition “to attack” this year.

There is also a real willingness from all the key parties to invest, hence the speed with which they are moving on Rémy.

And despite reports putting the figure at close to £10m, The Journal understands that United are hopeful of striking a deal nearer the £8m mark.

The move is not dependent on Demba Ba’s future, although the club recognise that signing Rémy early would give them an insurance policy in case their Senegal star – available for £7.5m due to a clause in his contract – moves late in the window.

Plus, Shola Ameobi may be missing in January, having yesterday been called into Nigeria’s preliminary squad for the African Cup of Nations in South Africa.

Pardew confirmed United’s growing transfer window optimism by saying: “We’re looking at bringing in a player.

“Maybe two or maybe even three, who knows? We’re certainly setting our sights on bringing in a couple of players. And of course we don’t want to lose anyone.”

United continue to counsel that a move for Rémy is in its early stages, and Marseille president Vincent Labrune said yesterday that the club were not looking to sell the striker.

But, given the fact that negotiations have taken place, that could well be a tactic to try to flush out interest.

Rémy is not in favour at Marseille and the return of fellow France international André-Pierre Gignac from injury pushed the 25-year-old down the pecking order.

Still, Labrune talked up the striker’s “potential”. “I’m not looking for a way out for Loic,” Labrune said. “Our finances are healthy. I don’t have to sell this winter.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle are resigned to the fact that uncertainty will swirl around Ba all month – and have made their final contract offer to the Senegal forward.

With the new TV deal next season and vast increase in £££ I can see at least three players coming in over the next few weeks for sure.

When it comes to money Mike Ashley isn't stupid and spending £20 million now to unsure we're in the Premier League next season to reap the rewards of the new deal would of been considered I'm sure.

We got over £54 million last season for finishing 5th and in the next three years that is going to be doubled at least. The deal for overseas broadcasting hasn't been sorted yet either so it could be even more.

On that basis I could definitely see us spending this Jan.