Roberts to boycott Kick It Out t-shirt at Anfield/Racism in football

Tooj

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2219610/Jason-Roberts-boycott-Kick-It-Out-t-shirt.html?openGraphAuthor=%2Fhome%2Fsearch.html%3Fs%3D%26authornamef%3DSportsmail%2BReporter

Reading striker Jason Roberts has said he will not wear a Kick It Out shirt at Anfield on Saturday in protest at what he says is the organisation's lack of action against racism in football in the last year.

Kick It Out are planning a week of action in response to several high-profile recent incidents of racism in football, most notably John Terry's abuse of Anton Ferdinand, Luis Suarez's comments to Patrice Evra and the abuse suffered by England Under 21s defender Danny Rose in Serbia on Tuesday.

Roberts, who is also a pundit for BBC Radio 5 Live, is set to be part of the Royals' squad that takes on Liverpool in a Barclays Premier League fixture. Suarez, who was given an eight-game suspension for racially abusing Manchester United's defender Evra, is expected to line up for the hosts.

Referring to the incidents involving Terry and Suarez, Roberts told BBC Sport: 'I won't wear one. I find it hard to wear a t-shirt after what happened last year.'

Roberts added: 'I'm totally committed to kicking racism out of football but when there's a movement I feel represents the issue in the way that speaks for me and my colleagues, then I will happily support it.

'I think people feel let down by what used to be called "Let's Kick Racism Out of Football".'

Roberts also said that Terry's apology has come 'a year too late' and the FA punishment was too lenient.

'The four-match ban was, for me, not a heavy enough sanction for what happened,' said Roberts.

'I'm not happy. Certainly they should have given him a longer ban. The sanction is nowhere near harsh enough.'

Roberts has been calling for football's authorities to take stronger action over racist incidents, and has also urged players to take matters into their own hands should they be subjected to abuse.

Following the shameful scenes in Serbia on Tuesday night, in which Rose was sent off after reacting to racial abuse, Roberts aired his thoughts on Twitter. He said: 'DRose, well done! I propose next time everyone walks STRAIGHT OFF THE PITCH!!! Then we will see how quickly "authorities" take to sort it...'

On Thursday Terry finally said sorry for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand and has accepted the four game ban and £220,000 fine from the FA. Accepting the ban it means he will miss two games against Rio Ferdinand's Manchester United and also the Kick It Out week of action which takes place this weekend.

But Chelsea have been criticised by Kick It Out for keeping their punishment of Terry secret. The club said they had taken 'further disciplinary action' against the defender after Terry decided to accept the ban and fine.

Chelsea said they would be keeping their action 'confidential' due to club policy.

Lord Herman Ouseley, chairman of Kick It Out, said that stance could damage Chelsea in the eyes of those people who had been waiting many months to see how the club handled the case.

Ouseley said: 'I believe Chelsea need to be open about the action they have taken. A lot of people will be dissatisfied that Chelsea have not been much more up front about the standards they set and the values they have. If they are not prepared to say, it will further damage the trust of those people who still have suspicions about Chelsea's sincerity in dealing with this matter.

'I do welcome what they have said, but they need to be saying more and doing more if they are going to win back the confidence of people who have lost trust in them rather than to sit back and be silent.'

I thought I'd post this in a separate thread to see if they agree with Roberts and racism isn't being taken as seriously as it should? Of course this issue is now back in the spotlight due to the horrible events that happened in Serbia this week and I think UEFA will once again be far too lenient when it comes to handing out a punishment for this. Terry only receiving a four match ban as well seems a bit of a token gesture from the FA and I do think they need to clamp down harder if people are found guilty of racial abuse.

I'm not saying that football and society as a whole has moved on massively in the last couple of decades as it really has. However there is still a minority out there that do believe this form of abuse is acceptable when it is far from it.

One thing though that does annoy me on this issue is when you have people like Paul Ince and John Barnes come out and say they are being discriminated against managerial jobs due to their skin colour, I don't think this really helps the situation. Especially as IMO they both don't get managerial jobs as they're both pretty poor managers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact it's taking so long for any concrete action against Serbia's fans/FA has been unacceptable.

I'd agree with Roberts - whatever Kick It Out have been doing, it hasn't exactly been working. Simply wearing a t-shirt before a game when Suarez & co. were allowed to wear their disgraceful shirts last season isn't going far enough.

I have a lot of respect for Roberts, he seems like a very driven and genuine guy whenever I've heard him on tv/radio. The fact that he's drawing further attention to the serious issue of racism in football definitely means that much more work needs to be done stamping it out entirely.

One thing though that does annoy me on this issue is when you have people like Paul Ince and John Barnes come out and say they are being discriminated against managerial jobs due to their skin colour, I don't think this really helps the situation. Especially as IMO they both don't get managerial jobs as they're both pretty poor managers.

John Barnes with Celtic oh dear. Inverness were in the bottom division iirc and beat Celtic 3-1 at Parkhead. If there's a good manager, I seriously don't think skin colour comes in to it. Spain has had more problems than England in terms of racism and football, particularly in the stands, yet Frank Rijkaard managed the biggest club of them all because he was good at his job. If someone can show me a good black British manager, with a proven record go ahead. I think if Ian Wright's role grows at MK Dons he has the character and personality to be a good manager personally.

John Barnes with Celtic oh dear. Inverness were in the bottom division iirc and beat Celtic 3-1 at Parkhead. If there's a good manager, I seriously don't think skin colour comes in to it. Spain has had more problems than England in terms of racism and football, particularly in the stands, yet Frank Rijkaard managed the biggest club of them all because he was good at his job. If someone can show me a good black British manager, with a proven record go ahead. I think if Ian Wright's role grows at MK Dons he has the character and personality to be a good manager personally.

would you count Hughton?

would you count Hughton?

Hughton's done well, but you highlight a good point, I didn't even think of Hughton because I never put him in a box "he's a black man", why should you? It's ridiculous in 2012, and as Jonny touched on, Malcolm X type figures crying racial discrimination over lack of job opportunities are nearly as bad as the racists themselves, particularly when the likes of Paul Ince and John Barnes don't get the jobs because the fact is they are shit and have no history of getting impressive results.

Guest Your Name Here

Cant be arsed with KIO since they got their knickers in a twist about the piss taking of Mido at Boro. I've got no time for racists and I've got no time for self serving sanctimonious types who earn a living out of banging the race drum.

Kick Shit-stirrers Out of Football

Edited by Your Name Here

Hughton's done well, but you highlight a good point, I didn't even think of Hughton because I never put him in a box "he's a black man", why should you? It's ridiculous in 2012, and as Jonny touched on, Malcolm X type figures crying racial discrimination over lack of job opportunities are nearly as bad as the racists themselves, particularly when the likes of Paul Ince and John Barnes don't get the jobs because the fact is they are shit and have no history of getting impressive results.

Yep. It's so low to use race/gender as a cover for being shit.

David James makes a good point regarding that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19918671

Chris Powell is also quietly doing a very good job at Charlton.

John Barnes has been trying to get back into the world of football media for a few months now.Ince is itching to get back into football management.Roberts get's the odd tv punditry job and is clearly wanting more.Having their views on racism in the media keeps them in news ,reference tv/radio and managment jobs.

John Barnes has been trying to get back into the world of football media for a few months now.Ince is itching to get back into football management.Roberts get's the odd tv punditry job and is clearly wanting more.Having their views on racism in the media keeps them in news ,reference tv/radio and managment jobs.

Roberts is a presenter on 6-0-6 too don't forget.

John Barnes is struggling to get back into media because he is crap at it, and it's the same reason for Paul Ince

trying to get back into management.

Nowt to do with the colour of their skin.