Our Worst Ever Signings (Financially)

NewcastleStats

I recently wrote an article of worst 5 signings - financially. I was particularly surprised at overall cost in some cases (Owen's overall and Xisco's per game were staggering!) and it got me thinking. Who did i miss? Who do you think has been our worst ever signings?

You can read the full article here: http://newcastlestats.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/newcastle-uniteds-five-financially-worst-signings/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we count Smith as a striker when he signed, then his scoring record would put him in there surely? At least Owen and Boumsong had periods where they looked good. Smith managed to be competent when him and Butt went round hoofing people about in the first few months of the Championship season.

If we count Smith as a striker when he signed, then his scoring record would put him in there surely? At least Owen and Boumsong had periods where they looked good. Smith managed to be competent when him and Butt went round hoofing people about in the first few months of the Championship season.

Smith was very close to inclusion for me, the only justification was that he gave his all for NUFC and i felt those included perhaps warranted inclusion more purely on the grounds of being absolutely hopeless. Smith was vital post-Leyton Orient for us.

Smith was very close to inclusion for me, the only justification was that he gave his all for NUFC and i felt those included perhaps warranted inclusion more purely on the grounds of being absolutely hopeless. Smith was vital post-Leyton Orient for us.

Fair point. I guess the lack of professionalism of the Spanish contingent makes them impossible to leave out.

I doubt Deportivo would have covered that much of Xisco's wages. We have Wise and his cronies to thank for being lumbered with what successive managers have all agreed is a totally useless player for the prem. I can't wait for him to go, I expect his wages are worth another "purple".

And surely some of Xisco's wage would have been convered when he was loaned out.

Hardly any of the 50k a week would of been to be honest. They were in the second tier last season also.

Agree that not a lot of the wages would be covered in the scheme of things. Were the rumours not that he was on 40k? Perhaps a quarter of that. Anyway, suppose it's splitting hairs as he's been an unmitigated disaster in terms of value even if they picked up his entire wage.

Agree that not a lot of the wages would be covered in the scheme of things. Were the rumours not that he was on 40k? Perhaps a quarter of that. Anyway, suppose it's splitting hairs as he's been an unmitigated disaster in terms of value even if they picked up his entire wage.

I remember when Ferguson went back to the blue dippers, Anal wrote in the paper that pound for pound he was the worst signing in the clubs history, he wouldn't even be in the top 10 imo. Luque and Xisco, are up there with the worst signings in world footballing history for any club imo. The Marco Boogers of their era.

Our worst ever signing without a doubt in terms of money wasted for no real team benefit was Michael Owen. He might have scored goals but he cost a fortune to buy and his wages were astronomical.

The real waste of money without any real contribution has got to be Xisco. Not because of himself but because he was brought in and frozen out and has been picking up his wages ever since.

There's your two modern day wastes of money.

Add Marcelino and Luque to that.

Our worst ever signing without a doubt in terms of money wasted for no real team benefit was Michael Owen. He might have scored goals but he cost a fortune to buy and his wages were astronomical.

The real waste of money without any real contribution has got to be Xisco. Not because of himself but because he was brought in and frozen out and has been picking up his wages ever since.

There's your two modern day wastes of money.

Add Marcelino and Luque to that.

Owen scored almost a goal every 2 games, which is a good record. He wasn't fit often enough, but we at least got something from him occasionally, what have we got from Xisco?

Owen scored almost a goal every 2 games, which is a good record. He wasn't fit often enough, but we at least got something from him occasionally, what have we got from Xisco?

What benefit did we get from Owen? Yes he scored a few goals but the club didn't benefit. Meaning we didn't gain anything from his goals.

He cost 17 million and 100 grand a week.

He cost us the most Financially,which is what the topic asks.

The thing was with Owen, we had a player who had the ability to keep us up and at that point when we needed him most he wasnt interested. you could see in games, he'd just stopped trying.

I really liked big dunc when he was here but similarly injuries made him a bad buy.

Xisco on the other hand has done nowt. Marcelino was actually a decent defender when he played, but there was the problem. What was it again, sore finger? :lol:

Owen was the opposite to what Peter Beardsley was.

Ok Owen scored a few goals for us but that's about it.

Peter Beardsley was tremendous for us, obviously and to be fair he oozed class , on the pitch and gave a tremendous amount of joy to the fans, obviously.

To be fair, he obviously wanted to play for this club so badly and was obviously proud to pull on that tremendous black and white shirt for the tremendous fans to be fair.

If Beardsley was to comment on Owen, I would think he would say Owen was our biggest money waste to be fair.

He might say he WAS a tremendous player in his time, obviously...but to be fair I think he would obviously speak the truth about it all, as he loves this club with tremendous love and passion, which is very clear for us all to see to be fair.

Edited by wolfy

What benefit did we get from Owen? Yes he scored a few goals but the club didn't benefit. Meaning we didn't gain anything from his goals.

He cost 17 million and 100 grand a week.

He cost us the most Financially,which is what the topic asks.

He delivered something though, he delivered 40 goals, and beat Sunderland on his own. Luque was on 60k a week, with a £12m fee and gave us absolutely fuck all, as for Xisco 1 goal 5 appearances in 5 years. Incomparable. Even using some gimpy equasion you could prove Owen was better value than either of these.

He delivered something though, he delivered 40 goals, and beat Sunderland on his own. Luque was on 60k a week, with a £12m fee and gave us absolutely fuck all, as for Xisco 1 goal 5 appearances in 5 years. Incomparable. Even using some gimpy equasion you could prove Owen was better value than either of these.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just can't stand that little bastard Owen though.