Our Worst Ever Signings (Financially)

NewcastleStats

Having just watched him score a critical goal but then miss a penalty in the shootout (although is team won, over mine, of course) in the US Second Division Championship,

Carl Cort

comes to mind.

£7 million....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just watched him score a critical goal but then miss a penalty in the shootout (although is team won, over mine, of course) in the US Second Division Championship,

Carl Cort

comes to mind.

£7 million....

It's his birthday anarl.

It's his birthday anarl.

huh. I hadn't noticed, but looking at .com now, they even mention the Soccer Bowl victory. That's going to rub salt in the wound every year for a while now when it shows up.

Sam bloody Allardyce is my choice for worst ever signing, financially. £3m in wages, a £3m payoff (not including all of the "staff" we also needed to pay and subsequently get shot of) and the burden of the likes of

- Alan Smith - £2m fee plus £3m per year for 5 years = £17m. Abysmal other than 6 months in the Championship

- Joey Barton - £6m fee, £3m per year in wages for 4 years = £18m. Good later on, useless until we were promoted

- Geremi - £3m per year in wages for 3 years = £6m = Legs. Gone.

- David Rozehnal - Fee recouped, £2m in wages. Failure.

- Cacapa - £2m in wages over two years. Failure.

- Mark Viduka - £6m in wages over two years. Failure.

If you add up the unrecouped fees and the wages of the above, it comes to over £50m, add in the cost of the manager and the cost of ditching him and his staff and it's approaching £60m. That's ignoring the non-monetary items such as the most horrendous football I've ever seen. What an absolutely horrible appointment Sam Allardyce was.

Cort is a good shout, 7M in those days was something.

Other that than Luque and Xisco obviously. The only good thing about Luque was he had good stats at that time in Pro Evo which bolstered an otherwise beleaguered team :blush2: