Our Worst Ever Signings (Financially)

NewcastleStats

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely Luque scored more than one goal? Didn't he score against Palermo on Krul's debut as well as the obvious one against the scum?

Not that it changes the fact that he was a flop like!

He was prolific in friendlies. Not £12m worth prolific enough though.

What benefit did we get from Owen? Yes he scored a few goals but the club didn't benefit. Meaning we didn't gain anything from his goals.

Strange way of looking at it. So a player is a failure if the club as a whole doesn't achieve something, regardless of said player's contribution?

Strange way of looking at it. So a player is a failure if the club as a whole doesn't achieve something, regardless of said player's contribution?

Not really.

The topic asks about financially and considering Owen set us back an arm and a leg over his injury prone stay and the fact he also didn't give a fuck about the club, I put him up there as one of our worst financial signings. Basically just because his fee plus wages alone could bankrupt a smaller club and helped flush us down the toilet into the championship.

Smith was very close to inclusion for me, the only justification was that he gave his all for NUFC and i felt those included perhaps warranted inclusion more purely on the grounds of being absolutely hopeless. Smith was vital post-Leyton Orient for us.

I disagree Smith was ever vital for us, he just played a few games where he was less shit than he had been previously.

Apparently a good lad in the dressing room but it seemed Nolan played a bigger role in that spirit so I don't think it would have made much difference if Smith wasn't here.

He probably was a model pro but it does irk me that he saw out his contract, if he really wanted to play football then I am sure he would have found a club a lot sooner if he had lowered his ludicrous wages. Not his fault he was offered such a silly contract in the first place but it rules him out of giving his all to the club, for me anyway.

Wasn't there a rumour that we owe Deportivo another installment on his transfer fee if he plays another game for us?

There have been but they don't make any sense iyam, especially the games we gave him (like spanking Villa).

If there was anything to xisco you'd have thought successive managers might have seen something and given him the occasional run out given the wages he's on. He must be fucking appalling in training.

I was excited about Luque before he signed. Spanish international, always looked decent on Spanish games I'd seen him in but fuck me he was gash for us. Is he getting a game anywhere now?

What about best value for money players. Tiote was a steal at the 2m or whatever the minimal fee was we paid. He's worth 10 times that now. Ben Arfa and Cabaye - also excellent value for money that would go for a lot more now.

If there was anything to xisco you'd have thought successive managers might have seen something and given him the occasional run out given the wages he's on. He must be fucking appalling in training.

I was excited about Luque before he signed. Spanish international, always looked decent on Spanish games I'd seen him in but fuck me he was gash for us. Is he getting a game anywhere now?

What about best value for money players. Tiote was a steal at the 2m or whatever the minimal fee was we paid. He's worth 10 times that now. Ben Arfa and Cabaye - also excellent value for money that would go for a lot more now.

Really think Perch is worth his weight in gold and Krul for £500k or whatever. Ba for nothing. Santon wasn't exactly cheap but to think he is 21 and performing like he is.

Xisco grabbed a hat trick for the reserves tonight.....

could be worth another contract if he keeps this up.....

He is in the squad for the Europa League, Might get a chance on Thursday.

Really think Perch is worth his weight in gold and Krul for £500k or whatever. Ba for nothing. Santon wasn't exactly cheap but to think he is 21 and performing like he is.

Going a bit further back Given for 1.5 million and Solano for around 2 million were fantastic value for money.

Edited by TicTacWoe

What benefit did we get from Owen? Yes he scored a few goals but the club didn't benefit. Meaning we didn't gain anything from his goals.

He cost 17 million and 100 grand a week.

He cost us the most Financially,which is what the topic asks.

As little time as I have for Owen and the effort/passion he displayed at Newcastle, I still think some fans need to reconsider his legacy. He deserves stick for a lot of things, especially in the relegation season, but overall, his return when fit was not as bad as portrayed.

You say he did nothing to benefit Newcastle, but he scored 7 goals in 9 games at the back end of 07/08. He finished our top scorer on 13 goals that year (ahead of Martins and Viduka who played similar numbers of games). Before that run we had not won a single game in 12. Losing 9 of them. He got back to scoring form and we went on a 7 game unbeaten run to avoid the threat of relegation which was looming. That in itself benefitted the club to the tune of £20m+. You could argue this was Keegans effect on the whole team taking hold, but Martinsd and Viduka only managed 2 apiece in the same period so you have to say his goals were the difference.

As has been mentioned the insurance paid out £10m on his worst injury while he was with us. So his most injury hit seasons didn't cost the club what the OP suggests.

Even taking that into account, in 05/06 he was third top scorer with 7 goals in only 11 appearances. Shearer was top, but he took 4 times as many games to score only twice as many goals (14 in 41). Ameobi was second with only 2 more goals in 3 times as many appearances (9 in 34).

He only played 3 games in 06/07. Can't hold that season against him.

Even in the relegation season where i think he gave his most gutless performances, he was still our top scorer. The only player to reach double figures in a season where events off the field did more damage than any of the players on the field could.

If we need to compare the cost of Owens Goals with other strikers then i still don't think he fairs too badly.

05/06

Shearers deal entitled him to parity with whoever was highest paid at the club didn't it? So his 1 goal (around) every 3 games cost just as much as Owens 3 times as prolific goal per game (approx).

06/07

out all year

07/08

Owen - Played 33 scored 13 on £100k

Martins - Played 33 scored 10 on £75k

Owens goals cost an extra third of Martins....but he scored more goals and more goals per game and Martins isn't even considered for lists like this.

08/09

Owen - Played 32 scored 10 on £100k

Martins - Played 25 scored 8 on £75k

So he still got slightly more money but he played more, scored more and has an almost identical goals per game ratio.

His return overall is considerably as bad as it's portrayed tbh, and we can compare him to the other strikers, but he cost and got paid considerably more.

Injured or not, 80 apps 26 goals is pretty poor for a £16m 100k a week striker, the same for a £10m striker on lower wages (martins) bit more bearable.

Sadly owen has had only one season (the time he won the ballon d'or) where he lived up to his hype, every other season at all his clubs he's been a useless cripple or just useless.

Hyped up because he was english

Yup. He also left for nothing, no sell on. The question was about financial return, £16m, 100k a week, left for nothing. 80 games in 4 years. Massive waste of money, whether you rate/like him or not.