Windows 8

Gemmill

Read a review which suggests its hard to switch off the "touch" interface which might make me a bit wary. I've always wanted an install option that goes "do you have a clue?" which switches off all the anti-moron stuff like "are you sure" etc so it sounds like they haven't listened to that if it isn't very flexible.

MS copied the original Macintosh GUIs in the late 80s. When MS released windows 2 in 88, Apple sued them.

And Apple lost, didn't they? Anyway, Apple's early efforts were all based on Xerox systems iirc.

My point was that MS were the first to focus on a consumer friendly GUI with Windows 95.

Wait for windows 9 tbh this one is baws from what i've seen.

Windows 8 will be "vista" until they fix it all and release it as windows 9 (like they did win7)

What are the main issues you've seen with it Ant? I'm getting a new laptop soon and I'm thinking about getting one with win8.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Is there much point in Windows 8 if you're not using a device with a capacitive touch screen?

I'm not sure there's much point to it even if you ARE using a device with a touch screen. It's really weird - it seems like it's just basic windows (in desktop view), and they've lain this snazzy looking thing over the top of it where you can add apps etc, but you're constantly having to go between the two. If you want to do anything remotely technical - by which I mean something as simple as installing a normal exe file, you have to go to desktop view.

I mean I quite like the new tarty thing with the apps - there are some decent ones for it already, and they should get better - but I'm not quite sure it's anything other than a superficial dipping of a toe in the water.

TicTac, if I was getting a new laptop, I would get it with 8 on tbh, cos there's no point in not getting it really - you've still got normal windows in desktop mode, and you've got this other nice interface if you want to use it. Worst comes to worst, you'll get a cheap upgrade to 9 when it comes along (it was only £25 to go from 7 to 8, which is why I did it)

And aye, Toonpack, I've spent most of today trying to work out why the fuck I was having repeated BSOD crashes, with very little in the way of help on google searches, cos it's so early since the release. I think I might have sorted it now (fingers crossed), but what a fuck on.

On the subject of laptops maybe you can help me out lads. My sister is looking for one for sub £400 - I've found two potentials which seem pretty decent value:

http://www.ebuyer.com/350099-samsung-300e5a-laptop-np300e5a-a0guk

http://www.ebuyer.com/398428-samsung-305v5a-laptop-np305v5a-a04dx

They're clearly fine for all the usual stuff (office, web browsing, music, dvds, etc.) but she also wants to be able to play a game which has a video card requirement, which is:

"For computers using built-in graphics chipsets under Windows, the game requires at least: Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA 3-Series or above."

Will either of those laptops be suitable for fulfilling that requirement?

Gemmill have you had any performance issues on your laptop since upgrading?

Immediately after upgrading it kept crashing a canny bit, but I upgraded my graphics card driver and a couple of other drivers (basically went through the device manager and tried to find new drivers for everything), and since then it's been spot on. Think it was the graphics card that was causing the problem.

I did a full format and install though - completely wiped the hard drive. You can do that with the 25 quid upgrade download. I'll send you the instructions I used if you're planning on doing it.

Everything I've reinstalled works fine.

That Start8 is class, JawD. I kept feeling lost using this new one without the Start menu, but feels much better now I've got it back. I'll definitely give them $4.99 for it when the trial runs out.

The whole Start page thing with the icons and that. Honestly, it's a pretty weird version of Windows - I don't know if I'm just not fully getting it yet and that the penny will drop eventually.

That app is canny like while you get to grips with it. I'm still uncomfortable with the whole new face etc but I bought a mag that explains how to fully customise it so when I can be arsed I might try and make it usable.

So is the start page just like the normal windows desktop but with fancier icons? Apart from the look of it, is there any benefit to upgrading?

I know very little about the Surface tablet apart from the adverts I've seen on TV but it looks like a tablet I'd actually be interested in using.

Edited by ewerk

Much improved security apparently, and from a personal point of view, backup on 8 works with my NAS, but I can't get it to work on 7.

The start page is the tabletty looking thing with icons all over it for different apps.

If anyone's interested btw you can get a preview version of Office 2013 which I think you can use until 2 months after it's officially released, which is a while away.