SSD

sammynb

How so? the gains for the desktop are the same for the laptop, it's not so much the sound/noise i'd be worried about more the fact in most applications of the drive the ssd will be 10x better performance wise vs a sataII/I equivalent.

Basically the only thing a standard drive has over a ssd is price/capacity in which it wins hands down, anything to do with performance the ssd will basically slap it around.

I only went for it on the laptop for the power and noise. I don't really notice any difference between my laptop and desktop on boot times or performance but the desktop is a lot more powerful as the laptop is fairly old now so it may just be down to that.

they're great for that, there is no arguments against the performance of them, it's the fact people like space and when they see a 128gb ssd costs considerably more than a 2tb+ drive they opt for the later.

basically SSD work well, but are small and stupidly expensive so you need to be happy enough just using it for windows/installed apps/games rather than lobbing all your downloads on it

That was my thoughts.

I've ordered a 360GB SSD, which cost around 200 quid, with a combination of 1 and 2TB sata III drives for storage/media.

I can buy 2TB sata III drives for $125AUS atm and they are getting cheaper by the day.

I use a 128gb ssd to run OS, apps and shit. I symlinked my documents, downloads, music folders etc... to my hdd. The difference seemed none existent at first until I went back to the moving drive for a couple of weeks after sending the faulty ssd back to be replaced. It was a feeling like going from broadband back to dial up. There isn't really any need to have a 2tb ssd as you just wouldn't notice the speed difference in opening documents.

That said...If you are in to gaming or using softsynths for music production it would be nice to have it all on the ssd.