Disney buys Lucasfilms(/Star Wars)

ADP

Thing is, it could have been class.

Kids get Shiny red lights and odd lookers

Dads get light Sabre fights and alien hookers

Pixar get it right, as have the latest Marvel movies

I think as Alex said ep 1s problem was it had kid appeal but not adult. I disnt enjoy it at all. Ep3 was canny though as a bit darker.

I'm not put off by Disney doing them as they made good jobs of Marvel films that they own etc. I'd they follow the books there is some great material, I'd just hope they don't pitch at the same level as Ep1 again.

• 3 years later...

Say what you want, but these boys know how to market shit, no sooner is Episode 7 released on blu-ray, they keep the dicks hard by releasing a teaser for Rogue One.

:spinwank:

I watched A New Hope for the first time in years with the bairn the other day... well the first 20 minutes until his attention span waned. He's not 3 yet though, so that's not a criticism of the film, he was loving the robots and spaceships for a while.

Couldn't believe how ropey it looked to my eye though, my memory was that the production value was top notch across the board, but some of the costumes with different colour buttons sewn on and that or the hangars where they only light the actors and ships and it's just complete darkness behind them looked cheap as owt.

Goes to show how much imagination filled in the gaps as a youngster.

As has been mentioned elsewhere it's nice that we're starting to get filmmakers who're sick of greenscreen and returning to a more physical effects based film.

As has been mentioned elsewhere it's nice that we're starting to get filmmakers who're sick of greenscreen and returning to a more physical effects based film.

that was definitely one of the best elements of The Force Awakens in my opinion, it felt very real in a cinematic kind of a way.

that was definitely one of the best elements of The Force Awakens in my opinion, it felt very real in a cinematic kind of a way.

agreed , but i thought they did a better job of making the CGI that was in the film not look so obviously CGI as well.

Was watching a YouTube video of top ten worst CGI moments and you forget how bad it looked.

Amazing that Jurrasic park still holds up despite being one of the first. The worst bits of that are the real life model heads that look like they're stuck on a broom.

Think T2 holds up too, but haven't seen it in a while.

Was watching a YouTube video of top ten worst CGI moments and you forget how bad it looked.

Amazing that Jurrasic park still holds up despite being one of the first. The worst bits of that are the real life model heads that look like they're stuck on a broom.

Think T2 holds up too, but haven't seen it in a while.

Think a lot of that is because they knew their limitations. Still don't think they've got the flesh right, even in the later movies. Would have thought they'd just use crocodile flesh as a start point?

I'm unashamedly a massive Star Wars dork.

Hated the prequels, the first one in particular. Trade disputes ffs - no amount of cool light sabre battles and pod races could pull it back from the preceding snooze fest. Even my five year old, who loves all the other films, struggled with this one.

The series wasn't helped as it progressed by the decision to cast Hadeyn Christensen as Anakin. Lucas said he casted him for how he could act with his eyes - it clearly wasn't for his all round acting ability, which was probably the most wooden to be recorded on film till Tommy Wisau's turn in the room.

Agree about the green screen too. Massively overused by Lucas. The problem with those movies is he had free rein to do whatever he wanted when he clearly needed a producer with a firmer hand.

Everything just looked too shiny and new too. I liked how the force awakens re-captured the battered look of the Star Wars galaxy from the original films. A return to the tone of the those movies helped matters too. It wasn't just the tedious plots that ruined the prequels - they were just utterly humourless. That's before we get into any jar jar binks discussion.

Since seeing force awakens I've looked back on it and the more I think about it the less I think of the film. I completely agree it was better than the prequels, but tbh thus proves nothing. The move away from green screen CGI was certainly welcome. But let's be honest, the plot was awful as was the main nemesis. It was less a sequel and more just a reboot. Enjoyable enough but ultimately the emperor's new clothes may have been a more apt title. They might be able to get away with it once but there needs to be some serious investment in creativity if this is to hold most people's interest.