Disney buys Lucasfilms(/Star Wars)

ADP

"The fallacy in Hollywood is that if you’re making a 'feminist' story, the woman kicks ass and wins," Portman said. "That’s not feminist, that’s macho. A movie about a weak, vulnerable woman can be feminist if it shows a real person that we can empathize with."

As a young feminist, Portman articulates a growing concern I have about Hollywood’s take on the new and improved "feminist" figure. Many movies consider themselves progressive because women suddenly have swords. This new archetype is just as one-dimensional as the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. As New York Times columnist Carina Chocano wrote, replacing the damsel in distress with a strong female character only "reinforces the unspoken idea that in order for a female character to be worth identifying with, she should really try to rein in the gross girly stuff." 

As a feminist who likes wearing dresses and doesn’t know how to sucker-punch, this sends me the same message that has been sent to boys for decades: "man up."

"The fallacy in Hollywood is that if you’re making a 'feminist' story, the woman kicks ass and wins," Portman said. "That’s not feminist, that’s macho. A movie about a weak, vulnerable woman can be feminist if it shows a real person that we can empathize with."

As a young feminist, Portman articulates a growing concern I have about Hollywood’s take on the new and improved "feminist" figure. Many movies consider themselves progressive because women suddenly have swords. This new archetype is just as one-dimensional as the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. As New York Times columnist Carina Chocano wrote, replacing the damsel in distress with a strong female character only "reinforces the unspoken idea that in order for a female character to be worth identifying with, she should really try to rein in the gross girly stuff." 

As a feminist who likes wearing dresses and doesn’t know how to sucker-punch, this sends me the same message that has been sent to boys for decades: "man up."

That's it for Portman - she'll be labelled problematic, a gender traitor, and then no-platformed to infinite :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the man that thinks people's creative ideas are floating in the Earth's atmosphere or some shit :lol:

More referencing Disney's pretty robust views on Jewish people, but aye you're not wrong.

Well, that's quite ambiguous really. I mean I think that doesn't necessarily set him apart from many of his peers. I don't really know anything about it so was wondering but that's probably nothing unusual in the context of the 30s. As for the interpretation of his works, if you've done any sort of academic criticism of any body of work you come to realise that people will put almost any interpretation on anything. I like Meryl Streep but it seems a bit unfair if that's all there is to it. Not meant as a defence of him btw.

:lol:

There could be fail-safe instructions to getting in Sofia Vergaras pants whilst also becoming a billionaire and I'd still never hear it.

:lol:

I suspect the latter would greatly increase the chances of the former, but yes, I take your point.

Well, that's quite ambiguous really. I mean I think that doesn't necessarily set him apart from many of his peers. I don't really know anything about it so was wondering but that's probably nothing unusual in the context of the 30s. As for the interpretation of his works, if you've done any sort of academic criticism of any body of work you come to realise that people will put almost any interpretation on anything. I like Meryl Streep but it seems a bit unfair if that's all there is to it. Not meant as a defence of him btw.

Sorry, my post wasn't really very well thought out. I meant to say "I thought everyone thought it and that there'd be evidence, but this is all I could find of any real substance" 

I'm pretty tired.

Sorry, my post wasn't really very well thought out. I meant to say "I thought everyone thought it and that there'd be evidence, but this is all I could find of any real substance" 

I'm pretty tired.

No need to apologise, was just curious as I'd never really been aware of it before I saw it on FG.

His niece was 6 when he died, how the fuck would she know what he did and didn't do.

My Dad's dad was a horrible prick, he was dead before my 1st birthday.

No need to apologise, was just curious as I'd never really been aware of it before I saw it on FG.

I beginning to think 90% of my opinion on this is born out of stand-ups repeating it. :lol: