Disney buys Lucasfilms(/Star Wars)

ADP

Just now, Alex said:

It's almost like they're made for kids

of course they are, kids and man children alike. every one of the main films have had an annoying comic sidekick. some have worked better than others, lucas never recovered from jar jar binks tbh.

rogue one was a bit dark mind. i haven't let my boy watch that one yet. 

18 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I cannot stand Superman. Yeah I'm pretty consistent on this stuff it seems. Good to know.

I honestly think if they hadn't allowed Man of Steel to devolve into the BlockbusterSmashFest it did, it could have revitalised the SuperMan character for the contemporary market. 

If the wider audience watched him find his feet as a beacon of hope, and earn the acclaim that he begins BvS with, he wouldn't come off so boring. 

As it is, he's the infallible man of beige. Even Batfleck is more interesting.

fwiw, I can't remember, but I bet Parky didn't like Wonder Woman either. Even though she's hard to describe as an androgynous stick woman.

2 hours ago, Park Life said:

It's well established that women have periods and this interferes with 'the force'.

It's because their midichlorians fall out iirc.

This thread, like the new star wars series, is turboshit btw.

I'll probably go and see it during the Christmas holidays and complain about it being shite for 2-3 hours before slipping back into the true spirit of Christmas, "the drink".

14 hours ago, Renton said:

It's because their midichlorians fall out iirc.

This thread, like the new star wars series, is turboshit btw.

Wondered how long it would take for the joyless one to show up.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Wondered how long it would take for the joyless one to show up.

I'm not the only one to spot how strange this thread is though, and nowt to do with being joyless. I was around for the first star wars trilogy after all and swapped cards probably before you were born, loved it.

But aye, my main gripe is the new star wars films just aren't very good, I include rogue squadron in that. They're not original, have dull characters, and are plagued by pseudoscience gubbins like midichlorians, and have huge plot holes. We've argued before but TFA was more a reboot than a sequel. And not a good reboot other than some of the action scenes. 

Emperors new clothes tbh. Carry on. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I'm not the only one to spot how strange this thread is though, and nowt to do with being joyless. I was around for the first star wars trilogy after all and swapped cards probably before you were born, loved it.

But aye, my main gripe is the new star wars films just aren't very good, I include rogue squadron in that. They're not original, have dull characters, and are plagued by pseudoscience gubbins like midichlorians, and have huge plot holes. We've argued before but TFA was more a reboot than a sequel. And not a good reboot other than some of the action scenes. 

Emperors new clothes tbh. Carry on. 

The prequels were terrible films that couldn't be saved by John William's score or a couple of good action scenes (Duel of the Fates e.g.). 

I think TFA is a good movie, which might be too close to A New Hope for our generation, but kids fucking love it now as we did ANH then. All but a few films have gaping plotholes in them. Some great films have gaping plotholes in them, but they're still great films.

Point is, with Star Wars, (and a lot of the superhero films) kids don't see them and at the end of the day, the point of these new films is to appeal to a new generation of kids who'll stare in wide-eyed wonder as samurais and pirates have cool fights with space nazis... and then bother their parents into buying them the toys.

By the by, if we're honest, we can boil down most adventure movies down to the same basic story. The hero's journey. 

Just curious, what was the last film you really got a kick out of? Not a film that was worthy, or emotionally tumultuous, but one that quickened your cold black heart or raised the hairs on your withered limbs. ;) 

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The prequels were terrible films that couldn't be saved by John William's score or a couple of good action scenes (Duel of the Fates e.g.). 

I think TFA is a good movie, which might be too close to A New Hope for our generation, but kids fucking love it now as we did ANH then. All but a few films have gaping plotholes in them. Some great films have gaping plotholes in them, but they're still great films.

Point is, with Star Wars, (and a lot of the superhero films) kids don't see them and at the end of the day, the point of these new films is to appeal to a new generation of kids who'll stare in wide-eyed wonder as samurais and pirates have cool fights with space nazis... and then bother their parents into buying them the toys.

By the by, if we're honest, we can boil down most adventure movies down to the same basic story. The hero's journey. 

Just curious, what was the last film you really got a kick out of? Not a film that was worthy, or emotionally tumultuous, but one that quickened your cold black heart or raised the hairs on your withered limbs. ;) 

Well that's it, a new generation of kids. Gloomys got a lad so I can let him off a bit, but you should procreate first before getting excited. ;)

Honestly, I don't have much time for grown up films at the moment. Last one which I saw in the cinema which I really enjoyed was trainspotting 2. On occasion I go with my nephew to see superhero films and whilst they pass the time I could never get animated by them like you do. 

Edited by Renton

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well that's it, a new generation of kids. Gloomys got a lad so I can let him off a bit, but you should procreate first before getting excited. ;)

Honestly, I don't have much time for grown up films at the moment. Last one which I saw in the cinema which I really enjoyed was trainspotting 2. On occasion I go with my nephew to see superhero films and whilst they pass the time I could never get animated by them like you do. 

Renton, he's the joyless one

Fish is vain but lots of fun...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye but what about a film that actually got your heart racing? As Rayvin says Mad Max: Fury Road was thoroughly enjoyable, it left me breathless at times. You cite Trainspotting 2, did that quicken your pulse?

I've no intention of growing up, fwiw. Fuck that, it sounds dead boring. 

You're all "mmmurgh, I didn't like that film about space pirates. Wish I'd been organising my sock garters mmurgh. Have I told you about my low risk pension scheme Mmmmurgh"

While I'm "Pew Pew, Yeah! fuck 'em up Iron Man! Responsibilities are for chumps!"

I found Skull Island to be a totally joyous experience, perhaps even more than TFA and RO, both of which also fell into the joyous category for me.  Yes they might not be original and might have more holes than a swiss cheese but they're still Star Wars.

Personally I'd be over the moon if there was a new one every year for the rest of my days.