Disney buys Lucasfilms(/Star Wars)

ADP

Younglings have to go to 'the gathering' and train and make their own light sabre with kyber crystals, the promising initiates are given a master etc...It takes ages to channel the force to be able to fight a Sith Lord or proto Sith Lord.

But no this scraggy idiot Rey nearly kills Ren who is under the personal tutelage of an ancient Sith Master. Ridiculous.

Disney are going to wreck the franchise.

and there's plenty of Jedis who are meek as hell, bested by droids simply because they're not all that. You seem to be saying that there is no way Character A could beat Character B, because Character A is a girl. Rather than saying this is some shitty writing because Character A shouldn't be able to beat Character B because they've had no training (which is what Rayvin is saying). Gender has fuck all to do with it. This is a universe where a child who has never left his planet before this adventure can fly a starship into, and through his incredible actions, turn a massive battle. I don't remember you complaining about the overpowered Anakin. 

But then he is a boy...

I thought Parky was saying the same thing as me? Up until his comment about flimsy bitches. :lol:

Maybe it comes from a different place though?

Not how I read it. He was saying that the new film is going to be shit because of SJWs just like the last one was shit because of some agenda driving studios to overpower any female lead characters until they're flawless. Which is horseshit.

I thought it was basically a remake of the original with better graphics and diverse lead characters.

Has anyone watched the original recently?  Posted in the film thread when i showed it to the bairn.  It's like watching a low rent stage play with some of the creaky blacked out money saving sets.

Just watched this video Parky... you can't be serious with this shit? :huh:

He whines that the girl is outrunning the men "because she's all powerful". Well, a couple of things, she's not outrunning the men and even if she were, that doesn't make her all powerful, just faster than some men. I'm guessing your wife would be faster than Forrest Whittaker.

He also froths about some men being lead away in handcuffs "because no female pilots would ever be captured, would they?". Or it could be that the army they're fighting for is as misogynistic as this youtuber and can't allow many women behind the controls of anything as big and dirty as a spaceship. :lol:

This kid is obviously baffled by women. He's probably enraged that strong female characters are now infiltrating the fantasy worlds where he could imagine having dominion over women. In the real world they bamboozle and scare him, in these fantasies they've been meek, biddable arm candy that his level 42 barbarian would toss over his shoulder as he's rescuing her from a dragon or whatever.

This Jeff Albertson is beneath you Parkster.

He whines that the girl is outrunning the men "because she's all powerful". Well, a couple of things, she's not outrunning the men and even if she were, that doesn't make her all powerful, just faster than some men. I'm guessing your wife would be faster than Forrest Whittaker.

He also froths about some men being lead away in handcuffs "because no female pilots would ever be captured, would they?". Or it could be that the army they're fighting for is as misogynistic as this youtuber and can't allow many women behind the controls of anything as big and dirty as a spaceship. :lol:

This kid is obviously baffled by women. He's probably enraged that strong female characters are now infiltrating the fantasy worlds where he could imagine having dominion over women. In the real world they bamboozle and scare him, in these fantasies they've been meek, biddable arm candy that his level 42 barbarian would toss over his shoulder as he's rescuing her from a dragon or whatever.

I felt compelled to watch it after this :lol: There are some absurd points in there. I think the men in chains bit was sarcasm though, given the reference to triggering.

However he makes one point accidentally that I think is worth mentioning based on our earlier discussion. He cites an article (and I'll bet there are now thousands) noting that this story is another example of Disney giving us a 'feminist' character to root for. So SJWs definitely see the driving force for how Rei is portrayed as being the same as what Parky thinks. They approve of it, and he condemns it. As do I, insofar as it fucks up what could have been a compelling trilogy, if that is indeed what drove the decision.

Which sort of pulls me back over to think there is an agenda, that the SJWs certainly believe there is one (and they approve of it), and that this agenda made Disney take some fucking stupid decisions.

That said, what I think doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. If Disney satisfied loads of new Starwars viewers with this then they did their job well. Whether I think it's poorly written or not is really just a matter for me and my wallet.

EDIT - I'm going to caveat this and state that on reflection, they could have written an awesome 'feminist' character in a none ridiculous way, and that I would have been right on board with it. So maybe we are back to shit writing again.

Edited by Rayvin

I felt compelled to watch it after this :lol: There are some absurd points in there. I think the men in chains bit was sarcasm though, given the reference to triggering.

However he makes one point accidentally that I think is worth mentioning based on our earlier discussion. He cites an article (and I'll bet there are now thousands) noting that this story is another example of Disney giving us a 'feminist' character to root for. So SJWs definitely see the driving force for how Rei is portrayed as being the same as what Parky thinks. They approve of it, and he condemns it. As do I, insofar as it fucks up what could have been a compelling trilogy, if that is indeed what drove the decision.

Which sort of pulls me back over to think there is an agenda, that the SJWs certainly believe there is one (and they approve of it), and that this agenda made Disney take some fucking stupid decisions.

That said, what I think doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. If Disney satisfied loads of new Starwars viewers with this then they did their job well. Whether I think it's poorly written or not is really just a matter for me and my wallet.

EDIT - I'm going to caveat this and state that on reflection, they could have written an awesome 'feminist' character in a none ridiculous way, and that I would have been right on board with it. So maybe we are back to shit writing again.

That's the crux of it for me. I don't care that it's a poorly written female character, I care that it's a poorly written character.

Sure, some of the points were a little heavy handed, but this is Hollywood; Aliens are always analogous of global warming, or whatever. But to be honest, I chuckled at the misplaced chivalry from Finn and Rey's response, and I didn't find it had rendered me dead from the waist down. 

Even if she is a Mary Sue.  Just think of it as affirmative action.  After a hundred years of the vast majority of films failing the Bechdel test, I think it's excellent if studios overcompensate the other way and give young girls ridiculously positive role models.

i reckon he's a virgin who lives in his parents' basement. 

the reviewer that is, not parky. 

Even if she is a Mary Sue.  Just think of it as affirmative action.  After a hundred years of the vast majority of films failing the Bechdel test, I think it's excellent if studios overcompensate the other way and give young girls ridiculously positive role models.

Fair enough - I'll have to disagree but I can see where you're coming from.

That's the crux of it for me. I don't care that it's a poorly written female character, I care that it's a poorly written character.

Sure, some of the points were a little heavy handed, but this is Hollywood; Aliens are always analogous of global warming, or whatever. But to be honest, I chuckled at the misplaced chivalry from Finn and Rey's response, and I didn't find it had rendered me dead from the waist down. 

I liked that bit too. In fact the humour in the movie was generally spot on.

It really is just the story and the massive overpowering of Rey (I keep misspelling her name due to Evangelion, sorry about that) that I struggle with.

I'll take it all back if she turns to the dark side and smurfs the resistance though.

Did Jabba get his freak on with Leia?

If this isn't a shot of post coital bliss/disgust from the happy couple, I don't know what is? Leia_Sleeps_by_Jabba.jpg

Something, something, misogyny, something, something, Jedi tits.....

Is that a scene from CT's "fantasy booking"? :unsure:

I liked the Force Awakens - In a contradictory way, I hated constant references and found them cheap but I did find it a bit strange how a Jedi was suddenly pure nails without any training.

It's generally at odds with the entire history of the Jedi - unless Disney are to build their own Jedi narrative, which they're entitled to.

However, I suppose everything has to be a gender argument.

:lol:

They are definitely lacking the raw sex appeal of Jabba in the latest film. Surprised that was overlooked.

This is Holywood. A slightly darker second instalment a la empire strikes back is the best to hope for