Disney buys Lucasfilms(/Star Wars)

ADP

I liked the Force Awakens - In a contradictory way, I hated constant references and found them cheap but I did find it a bit strange how a Jedi was suddenly pure nails without any training.

It's generally at odds with the entire history of the Jedi - unless Disney are to build their own Jedi narrative, which they're entitled to.

However, I suppose everything has to be a gender argument.

Typical bloke's comment :huff:

This is Holywood. A slightly darker second instalment a la empire strikes back is the best to hope for

...darker as in sex scenes involving jabba? Did you quote the right comment?? :lol:

I think you meant my one about Rey smurfing everyone. On that I'd agree. No chance of it.

This is Holywood. A slightly darker second instalment a la empire strikes back is the best to hope for

Unusually for the middle film of a trilogy, that is the best SW imo. Actually, come to think of it I probably like back to the future 2 most and twin towers as well, so nothing unusual about it.

I liked the Force Awakens - In a contradictory way, I hated constant references and found them cheap but I did find it a bit strange how a Jedi was suddenly pure nails without any training.

It's generally at odds with the entire history of the Jedi - unless Disney are to build their own Jedi narrative, which they're entitled to.

However, I suppose everything has to be a gender argument.

It basically just needed one or two scenes with some Rey backstory to indicate she had some interaction with the force in her past. Even this bare minimum I could have accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

It was pointed out to me yesterday that the Rogue One story is basically Kyle Katarn's, so we can expect him to have been written out of the universe now :(

Not that I expected him to ever show up actually but those games with him in were some of the best ones going. I think I now appreciate how disappointed Trekkies were with the reboot of their films. Yes they're good films but it is difficult to see characters you grew up with written out of existence.

Hopefully he's in the film somewhere...

Aye, true enough. I just wish they weren't pissing all over things I loved to keep up with the 'fashion'.

Have Disney taken over the video game producing aspects of the franchise as well? Can we expect more of the same on that front...? I think the thing that's bothering me here is that Disney either don't know or don't care how deep the universe went behind the films. They could achieve all their little SJW objectives while being true to the story for FFS, is that really too much to ask?

In this case they could just swap the relative importance of Jan Ors and Katarn - both could still be in, Jan could be made kick ass enough to appeal to those who don't give a shit about the story and only see the film as a vehicle for mass social brainwashing or whatever the goal is, and Katarn could still play an integral role. The story could be broadly preserved, and they wouldn't have annihilated the Jedi Knight series. I wasn't too concerned about Starkiller (Force Unleashed) going the same way as he was a fairly recent addition to the canon anyway, but Jedi Knight as well would be too much IMO.

I know it's not going to happen like, and I still hope I enjoy the movie... I think I'll just try to consider that this is all some temporary alternate universe like the Trekkies have to...

:crying:

Rant over :lol:

Aye, true enough. I just wish they weren't pissing all over things I loved to keep up with the 'fashion'.

Have Disney taken over the video game producing aspects of the franchise as well? Can we expect more of the same on that front...? I think the thing that's bothering me here is that Disney either don't know or don't care how deep the universe went behind the films. They could achieve all their little SJW objectives while being true to the story for FFS, is that really too much to ask?

In this case they could just swap the relative importance of Jan Ors and Katarn - both could still be in, Jan could be made kick ass enough to appeal to those who don't give a shit about the story and only see the film as a vehicle for mass social brainwashing or whatever the goal is, and Katarn could still play an integral role. The story could be broadly preserved, and they wouldn't have annihilated the Jedi Knight series. I wasn't too concerned about Starkiller (Force Unleashed) going the same way as he was a fairly recent addition to the canon anyway, but Jedi Knight as well would be too much IMO.

I know it's not going to happen like, and I still hope I enjoy the movie... I think I'll just try to consider that this is all some temporary alternate universe like the Trekkies have to...

http://knowledgenuts.com/2015/07/08/the-cia-spies-behind-disney-worlds-secretive-fake-cities/

I watched TFA again on Friday night and tbh I think it's going to turn out that Kylo Ren is just being used for his family connections. He is not as good as Luke or Vader and that is why he is a bad tempered twat, Vader knew he was a mega force user Ren isn't. This also meant he was very beatable by a girl coming to terms with her hidden force powers. And those who think she hasn't had any training, she was abondoned at the age of 12ish and left to fend for herself and has prospered in a very harsh environment. She has to have a shitload of physical talent for that even if you ignore the force bit.

I watched TFA again on Friday night and tbh I think it's going to turn out that Kylo Ren is just being used for his family connections. He is not as good as Luke or Vader and that is why he is a bad tempered twat, Vader knew he was a mega force user Ren isn't. This also meant he was very beatable by a girl coming to terms with her hidden force powers. And those who think she hasn't had any training, she was abondoned at the age of 12ish and left to fend for herself and has prospered in a very harsh environment. She has to have a shitload of physical talent for that even if you ignore the force bit.

Yeah I have to concede that she had used her stick thing quite a bit before having a lightsaber, so I suppose that makes it more readily agreeable. I just don't think physical training should be aligned with force using as such. Then again, maybe Ren is just a super weak force user.

Aside from all the Rey vs Ren stuff, they never should have taken his helmet off. He lost all gravitas when they did that.

Yeah I have to concede that she had used her stick thing quite a bit before having a lightsaber, so I suppose that makes it more readily agreeable. I just don't think physical training should be aligned with force using as such. Then again, maybe Ren is just a super weak force user.

Aside from all the Rey vs Ren stuff, they never should have taken his helmet off. He lost all gravitas when they did that.

Aye he just looks like a pouty goth kid.

Oh and for physical attributes / force talent, when Luke was being trained by yoda there was quite a bit of running, stamina, balancing training which he was made to do. Rey seems way more focussed than he was and I have not seen her lose her temper or be bratty in any way, this would negate the whole crap that Yoda said was Luke's main weaknesses.

I think you're asking a bit hoping for stuff from the games or books to carry over on to the films.  I'm a massive Star Wars fan and I've never read any of the books or played any games other than the original arcade one or the Lego ones.  The films are the only thing you should look at as cannon as they are the only thing that a lot of the fans give a toss about.

Personally I loved TFA and am really looking forward to the new one.  Any gender bias's don't spoil anything for me and I think KCG's has  got it pretty much spot on with regards to Ren.  He's just being used for his name and while he's clearly pretty powerful compared to most people, he's not a massive Jedi force.  

I think you're asking a bit hoping for stuff from the games or books to carry over on to the films.  I'm a massive Star Wars fan and I've never read any of the books or played any games other than the original arcade one or the Lego ones.  The films are the only thing you should look at as cannon as they are the only thing that a lot of the fans give a toss about.

Personally I loved TFA and am really looking forward to the new one.  Any gender bias's don't spoil anything for me and I think KCG's has  got it pretty much spot on with regards to Ren.  He's just being used for his name and while he's clearly pretty powerful compared to most people, he's not a massive Jedi force.  

Not sure I agree on the cannon bit, but I can see it from your side. I'm just now wishing I had spent my youth understanding deeper plot points in franchises that weren't going to rewrite their history.

I really should have just spent my youth outside to be honest :D

Edited by Rayvin

Rey just doesn't have the character flaws to make her interesting and she doesn't have the heroes journey either cause she can't fail and learn along the way. It took Luke ages to get to grips with stuff and most of the time people were taking the piss out of him. He had a proper character arc.

Edited by Park Life

Rey just doesn't have the character flaws to make her interesting and she doesn't have the heroes journey either cause she can't fail and learn along the way. It took Luke ages to get to grips with stuff and most of the time people were taking the piss out of him. He had a proper character arc.

I'll agree with that if she continues with this trajectory into the next film. If she remains invincible then yes, she'll become a forgettable character.