money and happiness

Dr Gloom

how closely are the two linked in your opinion?

does having money lead to happiness more often than not?

how hard is it to be happy when you're worried about putting food on the table?

i'm glad i have no financial concerns now but quietly long for the days when i was a skint student or starting my career with little money and even fewer worries or responsibilities.

Basically you mean you long for your the days when you're actually allowed to watch the football and go out and get wrecked without being told no both times? :D

Had a fair bit of cash in the past didn't really lead to any kind of meaningful happiness, just spent it in more wierd ways.

IMO the old days were the best when I had less money and less responsability...Life kinda gets in the way of Life!

Once you have children the guilt over everything doubles.

I work on small miracles and try and stay close to personal truths without building huge artifice around it like I used to.

Was at a party on Fri and a tall good looking blond girl said to me (after a period of whinning on my part)..."Just be happy!"

Should have slapped her. ;)

Edited by Park Life

Basically you mean you long for your the days when you're actually allowed to watch the football and go out and get wrecked without being told no both times? :D

aye; there's a bit of that. big nights out at the drop of a hat aren't easy when you've a bairn to look after. there's always a negotiation with the other half.

but part of it is not wanting to do that kind of thing as much either, because of permanent exhaustion. not having the energy or motivation to go out for a big session, despite having the money to do it in a much better way than a decade ago. for example all my mates are going out for a big session tomorrow night but i've got two deadlines looming on friday and am serioulsy considering not going, despite the fact boys' nights out are a much missed rarity these days, for concerns i won't be in a fit state to finish my two pieces for friday.

i've got the security now i didn't have then; got no financial constraints, own my own house, established career etc etc.

being able to buy nice stuff whenever i want to cushions the blow. but the responsibilty and hard work it takes to get to the financial rewards makes me wonder sometimes if it was worth all the effort.

Had a fair bit of cash in the past didn't really lead to any kind of meaningful happiness, just spent it in more wierd ways.

IMO the old days were the best when I had less money and less responsability...Life kinda gets in the way of Life!

Once you have children the guilt over everything doubles.

yup

It isn't. It's basically all bollocks unless you're really doing summat you like.

i enjoy my job. but it's knackering. having a kid and a wife that also works full time means most of the time at home is spent cooking, cleaning, bathing the bairn. we finally get our tea down us at about 9pm, then zone out in front of the telly/internet for an hour ebfore starting it all again the next day.

then at weekends, you do feel guilty if you sack of the family completely to go out on the lash. the days of the all day weekend bender are long gone. it takes a stag do or birthday these days for mates to all get together. most work in the city and have young families so everyone's going through the same thing at the same time.

i think everyone in my group of friends quietly longs for the good days of zero responibility and zero cash flow. there are one or two still clinging on to their youth, refusing to settle down, still going raving and chasing girls in their 20s, despite approaching middle age, but they're in the minority.

slightly off topic but i've got one mate who organises what he calls a 'blag do' every year with his old mates from home. they all tell their birds that an old mate they don't know is getting hitched. cue a free pass to a weekend away to amsterdam or berlin.

Quite funny this thread. When I was clearing out the loft yesterday I came across a pay review letter confirming my £55,000 bonus for the year and that my total earnings for the flowing year would be £125,000 !!!

Anyone who knows you will tell you that I am a much happier soul these days.

I have met and associated with very rich people and can honestly say I can only think of one that seems to have it all, ie Money, family and happiness. The rest were either on second or third wives or had no life because work was life.

Some of my happiest memories are from days when we looked down the back of the sofa for money.

I guess I'm just blessed with coming from a great family ( youngest of seven), a great wife, fantastic kids and a happy go lucky attitude to life.

i enjoy my job. but it's knackering. having a kid and a wife that also works full time means most of the time at home is spent cooking, cleaning, bathing the bairn. we finally get our tea down us at about 9pm, then zone out in front of the telly/internet for an hour ebfore starting it all again the next day.

Crikey, you run a tight ship.

There's a he'll of a lot to be said about being financially secure and not having to worry about bills etc.

For some reason people seem to be confusing being young (which is invariably great) with being skint (which is invariably SHIT).

Money doesn't make you happy, having no money doesn't make you unhappy. Owing money and not being able to pay it back, makes you unhappy, especially if it's at the expense of losing your home or stuff like that.

A person with no money, who suddenly gets rich, will naturally be happy for a length of time as they can buy the things they dreamt about, plus they have no debt worries, yet with riches comes beggars and fake friends/hangers on and soon it's a struggle.

Anyone who lives a simply life on minimal money, who can survive on it and yet never craves material things, will be the most happiest.

Quite funny this thread. When I was clearing out the loft yesterday I came across a pay review letter confirming my £55,000 bonus for the year and that my total earnings for the flowing year would be £125,000 !!!

Anyone who knows you will tell you that I am a much happier soul these days.

I have met and associated with very rich people and can honestly say I can only think of one that seems to have it all, ie Money, family and happiness. The rest were either on second or third wives or had no life because work was life.

Some of my happiest memories are from days when we looked down the back of the sofa for money.

I guess I'm just blessed with coming from a great family ( youngest of seven), a great wife, fantastic kids and a happy go lucky attitude to life.

£180k for driving a fucking taxi?