Spyin' Kop - Liverpool v Newcastle United

StevenLFC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think much of LFC at the best of times but RAWK is without doubt the most fascist football forum I have come across.

I think RAWK is too fussy at times but it has some superb contributors, and it's one of the biggest independent football sites on the net, with around 40,000 members. Far too many great posts would get drowned by dross if they didn't moderate.

The official site forums have 250,000 members and is moderated, but there is so much shit allowed to go through it's hardly worth reading most of the time.

I'm sure it'll lead to good hearted banter, what with the famous scouse sense of humour.

I'm looking forward to any responses I get. :icon_lol:

That's a great contribution from you Fish (your first post on the thread), good read, interesting views, you should write seriously more often.

Cheers, but I don't like writing seriously. ;)

I think RAWK is too fussy at times but it has some superb contributors, and it's one of the biggest independent football sites on the net, with around 40,000 members. Far too many great posts would get drowned by dross if they didn't moderate.

The official site forums have 250,000 members and is moderated, but there is so much shit allowed to go through it's hardly worth reading most of the time.

I was referring more to the line they took and forced every other member to take during the Suarez situation rather than their general moderation.

Have you a profile on there? If so, would you mind starting a "Gone Fishing" thread in reply to this one as I can't start a new thread, but I can reply.

I can do that if you wish pal.

Aye, cheers.

If you start the thread, I'll post the questions sometime today/this evening.

Much obliged.

Both our clubs have had problems with owners in recent times, and I know Mike Ashley was a hugely unpopular figure not so long ago? Has the recent success of your side since promotion meant that the ill feeling towards him has somewhat diminished?

No, he has balanced our club finacially, however his decisions to rename St James Park and the lack of investment in key areas despite cash coming in and wage hunger resources going out is a hard pill to swallow.

St James Park? Sports Direct Arena, Wonga etc? What's going on with the name of such an iconic football stadium and how concerning has that whole issue been to fans? Do you care what the stadium is called or do you look more towards the finances that naming rights brings?

Its St James Park, simple. Yes Arsenal have the Emirates and City the Ethiad, but they are new stadiums, what would their thoughts be if Arsenal had stayed at Highbury and renamed that?

Alan Pardew, he was brought in to replace the popular Chris Hughton and like Mike Ashley, he seemed to be unpopular. From the outside looking in, he seems to have done well. What are your opinions of him now, and how would you describe your style of play?

We were angry due to the treatment of Hughton. A nice bloke who had got us back in the Prem with no arguments etc. Pardew had to work hard to win the fans over. He has done that I think. Whats frsutrating at the moment is his lack of consistancy on a formation and players. Its clear Ba is in form and Cisse is better than Strola, but he does like to drop people. I suppose you could argue he gives players a fair crack of the whip I.e Obertan for one, but when something is clear XYZ works, he should stick to it.

Let's talk transfers. After a few years of your club having a bit of a nightmare when it came to transfers, you seemed to have done really well in recent years by acquiring very good players for seemingly small fees. Who takes the credit for this and are you worried that some of your players may leave if some Champions League clubs come knocking?

The credit has to goto the likes of Ashley, Pardew and the scouts. Mostly Mr Carr. If someone came in for Tiote (Man Utd being the main suitor) for £20m we would have to think long and hard for it. Whilst were doing well in the Europa etc I would like to think Pardew has players who are hungry to make NUFC a winning team and not just looking for money. The danger is not qualifying for Europe or doing well domestically, then they may want to quence their own ambtions. BUT The grass is not always greener. They may goto a "bigger club" who dont have passionate fans, who leave with 15mins to go, or get on top because they havent won 4-0 in their last 2 home games. I would like to think our support has a massive pull for the players.

How would you describe your season so far? Has it met expectations?

A bit below, but not far off. We have had a lot of games with the Europa so we havent really had a consistant side out which is a tad frsutrating. Plus we have had injuries to key players. Hopefully we can pick a few more points up these next few games and get some momentum going.

Speaking of expectations, what where yours for this season? Did your success last year possibly make expectations a bit too high amongst the Geordie faithful?

Well, we wont have same expectations as what we read about the Scousers every year "Top 4" "Champions League Semi's" etc My expectations pre closure of the transfer market was a top 6 finish. When we didnt strengthen the defence it was top 8. I still think we can do that if we strengthen in the Jan window and keep hold of key players (Tiote, Cabaye, Colo)

I'd like to ask you some questions about Liverpool if I may. What are your thoughts on our new manager Brendan Rodgers, the style of play he is trying to implement at Anfield and how Liverpool have started this season?

Hes a cunt and a boring dour faced one at that. His Swansea team got plaudits for having more passes than Barcelona, but most of them were either backwards or side to side. I think he has made an awful start at Liverpool. Sending mixed messages out about palyers, mostly Carroll, one min saying he wants him, next min he leaves him out etc. I honestly beleive he will be out of the door at Anfield before he gets a chance to play his tippy tappy football. Especially after last nights result.

Andy Carroll, you sold him when he was riding the crest of a wave. After a poor start at Anfield, he seemed to finish last season strongly, and he played well for England in the summer. How do you feel Liverpool handled the situation with Andy, and what were your thoughts in the summer when he was linked with a return to Newcastle?

We all know LFC paid over the odds for him, they paid over the odds for potential. KD didnt play AC correctly and that was said in the media, on forums etc. They didnt play him well at all. I dont think he has fitted in at Liverpool because he didnt buy into the Anfield bollocks sung by the likes of Gerrard and Carragher. He is a strong headed person, trying to change someones mentality like that is only going to back fire. I would have liked to see him back here, in what way he would have fit in our current system I am not sure. But I think he is a decent player.

Seeing as you got the better end of the Carroll transfer, how about repaying the favour? Fancy buying Joe Cole? In fact, can I pay you guys to take him off our hands?

No

Let's concentrate on the game itself now. Are there any of our players that worry you ahead of Sunday's game?

Suarez purly because he is a diving fucker. A cheating rat faced diving fucker. Steven Gerrard, for the same reason, although with him getting older he isnt getting around the pitch as fast nowdays so thats good.

How do you see the game panning out?

This is a game where we will miss Tiote. If we had Tiote I would have been more confident. He would have got into the faces of Gerrard etc and mixed it up. I think its going to be a tough game for us, especially if Ba is out. Scrappy I think it will be.

What side would you expect Alan Pardew to pick for the game?

Krul

Simpson Taylor Colo Santon

HBA Perch Cabaye Jonas

Shola/Ba Cisse

Finally, fancy making a prediction?

1-1

I was referring more to the line they took and forced every other member to take during the Suarez situation rather than their general moderation.

Most supported Suarez anyway, and as RAWK is a privately owned site they have the right to do as they wish. Those who don't like that shouldn't join, or have their arguments about it on the feedback thread. There are many more LFC forums for them to choose from, I post mostly on another site.

Both our clubs have had problems with owners in recent times, and I know Mike Ashley was a hugely unpopular figure not so long ago? Has the recent success of your side since promotion meant that the ill feeling towards him has somewhat diminished?

-My own feelings are still that the man is a cunt of the highest order for the way he treat Keegan, the way he's lied so often, they way he changed the name of the stadium, the way he associates us constantly with his main love and just his general sly way of doing things. No matter what he does now I'm sure I'll always have the same opinion of him as person. That said he can still become a good owner and I do think that if he's not prepared to put his own money into the club (and it's his money so that his chioce) to fund transfers, the route he's going down is the only real option these days. You can't get the debt you could back in the 90's.

St James Park? Sports Direct Arena, Wonga etc? What's going on with the name of such an iconic football stadium and how concerning has that whole issue been to fans? Do you care what the stadium is called or do you look more towards the finances that naming rights brings?

- I took offence at the move to change the name as I'm sure fans at any club with a long established home would. The fact we got fuck all for it made it all the worse. But whatever he chose to call it, everyone else kept calling it St James and I certainly didn't let it worry me for long.

Alan Pardew, he was brought in to replace the popular Chris Hughton and like Mike Ashley, he seemed to be unpopular. From the outside looking in, he seems to have done well. What are your opinions of him now, and how would you describe your style of play?

-Hughton was totally undeserving of the sack at the time. He'd come in and steadied a very rocky ship and conducted himself with dignity at all times. Pardew seemed to have been waiting in the backround trying to get Ashley to get rid of Hughton and I think this along with his average record at other clubs made him unappealing at the time. Since he's been here though he's done a good job at keep the morale high amongst the players, he's dealt well with what was a tricky situation getting Ben Arfa integrated and he's overseen the purchase of some very good players so he's deserved his plaudits. This season though I think he's struggling to get us going and I really don't see any pattern to our play at the moment. Injuries to key players have certainly made things much more difficult but I don't think he's helping himself at the moment.

Let's talk transfers. After a few years of your club having a bit of a nightmare when it came to transfers, you seemed to have done really well in recent years by acquiring very good players for seemingly small fees. Who takes the credit for this and are you worried that some of your players may leave if some Champions League clubs come knocking?

- The restrictions that Ashley has put on us has forced us to be a lot more careful spending money and that has resulted in us investigating our potential signings in much greater detail and so signing good players at good prices. Graham Carr and his scouting team obviously have to take credit for spotting these players. Any club who aren't regularly in the champions league will always have the risk of teams who are coming in for their players and if they can afford the fee we will sell. As long the money we bring in is spent on the team I have no problem with that. It's unavoidable.

-Our lack of any pattern in play is disapointing given how we played in the second half of last season but injuries have certainly played their part in that. Not many results have been different to what I would have expected so far. I would have probably expected us to beat Villa but that's about it.

Speaking of expectations, what where yours for this season? Did your success last year possibly make expectations a bit too high amongst the Geordie faithful?

- I think we have a strong team compared to anyone excluding the four teams that finished above us last season and Chelsea. I see no reason why this group of players if they stay fit can't finish sixth this season but our squad isn't strong enough and injuries will see us drop a few places but I would still think top ten should be comfortable.

I'd like to ask you some questions about Liverpool if I may. What are your thoughts on our new manager Brendan Rodgers, the style of play he is trying to implement at Anfield and how Liverpool have started this season?

- I don't like the man if I'm honest and I can't really put my finger on why. I think he got more praise than was deserved last season (when you consider that it was Martinez who started the job with Swansea). I don't think he's the right man for you and I think he's handled the situation poorly so you were backed into a corner and unable to bring in a replacement in the last window. I've not watched any of your games other than against the Makems (which was a game you should have won) so I can't really comment on the way your playing. The results clearly aren't what you would be expecting though.

Andy Carroll, you sold him when he was riding the crest of a wave. After a poor start at Anfield, he seemed to finish last season strongly, and he played well for England in the summer. How do you feel Liverpool handled the situation with Andy, and what were your thoughts in the summer when he was linked with a return to Newcastle?

- You overpaid for him because of what you got for Torres (or probably that's why you got what you did for Torres) and you didn't seem to know how to use him when he arrived. That strikes me as a panic buy (mind you with the money you spunked on Henderson and Downing your whole transfer policy at the time was a shambles tbf). I would have been and would still be happy to see him back for a fraction of what you paid. He is a good player if used correctly.

Seeing as you got the better end of the Carroll transfer, how about repaying the favour? Fancy buying Joe Cole? In fact, can I pay you guys to take him off our hands?

- No he's gash and always has been.

Let's concentrate on the game itself now. Are there any of our players that worry you ahead of Sunday's game?

- Gerrard (much like Paul Scholes) always seems to score against us and while he's clearly not the same force he once was, he's still the one who makes you tick.

- I'm expecting a loss tbh. We aren't usually good at Anfield.

- If Ba's out then Cisse up front possibly on his own with five in midfield. Hopefully Taylor back in instead of Williamson who's shite.

The world will end in 2020

not from me. like most, i can't stand ashley. i hate him because of his lack of respect for the club, the history and the supporters. he's trying to turn us into another branch of his tacky high street shops.

some people say he's running us like a proper business for once but he's swung too far the opposite way to freddie shepherd, who was reckless chairman and spent beyond our means, shelling out stupid fees on a load of over paid crap that didn't even want to play for us. micky owen springs to mind there. this summer is a classic example. we had a great opportunity to build on last season by buying a couple of top class defenders, an area where we have no depth. our only major signing was anita, a midfielder that can't get into the side.

of course we care. imagine if anfield was rumoured to be renamed as the wonga arena. you'd be up in arms too. seeing all the hideous sports direct adverising tarnishing our stadium is one thing. renaming it was the last straw for me. it was particularly galling when the likes of sky and the beeb started towing ashley's party line. not that anyone else called it the sports direct arena.

he's ashley's wet dream because he's happy to be here and work under the financial constraints. ashley is a billionaire don't forget and while running a tight ship is admirable, he does have the resources to give the manager more to play with in the transfer market.

pardew's done well, beyond anyone's expectations. the football hasn't always been pretty but no one expected us to finish 4th last season. you can't deny he's got the team playing with an excellent spirit, even if he's not always sure what our best 11 or formation is.

Graham Carr takes most of the credit. we only started unearthing gems for next to nothing once he started in the job. the previous scouting team wre hideous - see xisco, gonzales et al. "who?" you might ask. you'd be right.

about what i expected. we flew out of the blocks last time around and it was always going to be difficult to repeat feat with added european fixtures and little investment in the first team squad. plus we're drawing those tight games that we tended to win last season. we finished 5th last time around but only looked really convincing in the back end of the season after cisse arrived.

before the season i predicted we'd finish somewhere between 6th-9th. still think that'll be the case. and it's probably what most of us think too. we're a pretty realistic bunch tbh, despite what sky will have people believe when they interview the half wits that hang around outside st james. dampened expectations come from years without winning anything.

haven't seen a lot of your games this season but doesn't sound like it's clicking just yet i found swansea tedious to play against last season. they had 70 per cent possession in one game against us and next to no shots on goal and we won the match because when we did get the ball we used it goign forwards. it's all well playing ticky tacka or whatever it's called, but why bother if it doesn't lead to any chances? that said, all english footballers should learn to cherish keeping the ball more than they do.

opinion was divided but i'd have taken him back in the summer. i still think he's a top player, when used correctly. bit of a dying breed in the modern game though - the traditional target man - because i don't think he's suited to playing up front on his own. still can't get over why you lot paid all that money for him then tried to use him like he was torres instead of getting balls into the box for him to attack. if you're going to spend all that money on him, play gerrard out wide pinging balls in and he'd score 20+ a season. his best season for us was when hughton moved barton out wide for that exact reason.

swap him for dan gosling?

suarez; still dangerous, despite being one of the most hated players around

home win. we're still not finding any fluidity and we never win at anfield. plus we're missing tiote, one of our key playersi think you'll be surprised at how shit we are this season, unless we raise our game. we've been playing some dreadful football of late. you're probably due a win too.

krul, simpson. colo, taylor, santon, cabaye, perch, guthrie, ben arfa, cisse, ameobi

2-0

No the bloke will die a cunt. We are where we are through nothing but luck. Stoke have spent more than us with less resources, the only billionaire owner who won't spend his excess cash. That's not even why I hate him though, I hate him because he's absolutely obliterated the NUFC brand, and he's the opposite of decent. He's a cunt, he's not wanted. We are a tacky bunch of PUMA wearing meffs, when just 9 years ago we were the 8th richest club in world football.

Of course we care, it sums Ashley up. He's a borrow boy, with absolutely no respect for the institution he bought.

I'm not in love with him as a bloke, but his performance as manager with what he's had at his disposal, 9/10 minimum. His constant rimming of Ashley is massively irritating though. "Not a lot of peepuw know this but Mike actually bought a new kettle for the boys in the changing room, peepuw don't see that side to Mike.

The credit goes to one man, the miracle worker that is Graham Carr. If we win the Champions League in the future, and plenty smaller clubs than us have, Ashley will get no credit. I wish him all the bad luck in the world the fat bastard. At this moment in time Man Utd can nab our players, and obviously due to their artificial finance Man City and Chelsea, it's a fact of life until we can move in to their league, as it is for Liverpool as seen with the Torres deal.

Aye, we've been shite

I expect and expected us to come 8th-12th, massive negative air about the club due to fatty's disgraceful summer transfer window. That said we've only lost to the European Champions and favourites for the title this year.

I think there'll be little or no improvement from Liverpool this season, the wasted millions from the laughable King Kenny, will haunt the club for years. £75m for Downing, Carroll and Henderson. We paid £9m for Ben Arfa, Demba and Cabaye who are in another league to those players. Gerrard is getting older still class though, I think Liverpool need half a new team, it will be difficult because your better players like Agger won't take 8th, 9th and 10th every season which is all I can see at Liverpool for the forseeable future. Rodgers will need the full three years to improve things on the pitch, will his impact be like it was at Swansea or will it be like his brief reign at Reading? One thing is sure he needs to exceed what looks achievable to get full support from the demanding Liverpool crowd.

I feel Rodgers is an idiot OK. I think he's trying to change too much too soon OK. He has this deluded idea he can make Liverpool like Barcelona OK. His praise of Skrtel's howler against Man City was completely laughable OK. He said, "I'll never bollock you for an error like that OK." Fucking Allardyce would've strung him up by the clems OK.

Think Joe Cole has been on a hiding to nothing there, same as Konchesky was. Newcastle fans, while thinking he was shite, stuck with James Perch, and his growing confidence is a testament to the crowd. I feel the Anfield crowd is very much different.

Stevie G. He's still world class, fair enough he's won the Champions League and a few FA Cup's, but he'll look back on his career with regret that he never got to play for one of the true big clubs. A Man Utd, a Milan, a Real Madrid, because without doubt he's been good enough to play for that level of club. Liverpool while having a magnificent history in the 70's and 80's, have only really put one title bid in since 1990, and that's not good enough for a player of that class. He is a threat at all times with his vision, drive, shooting and passing, so is Suarez.

Think we'll soak up pressure and hit on the break, we'll try and slow the game down.

If Demba is fit, same team as last week, possibly with Saylor in for Williamson, and Cisse for Shola.

Been far too long since we beat Liverpool away, we generally expect to beat them at home and go to Anfield with little more than a degree of hope, but 17 years without a victory is too long and it's time to bury this hoodoo. I haven't been impressed with Liverpool this season, and to be fair in the league we haven't been impressive once yet ourselves, so we are due a decent performance hopefully it comes on Sunday. Liverpool 0 Newcastle 2.

Edited by McFaul