Depression

wykikitoon

Someone I follow on Twitter RT that apparently depression is the fastest growing illness in the UK.

Is this due to it being easy for a GP to say "You're depressed / stressed take some time out" or have we become a soft touch nation?

Why is there a reason to be fucking depressed in this day and age in the UK? Seriosuley?

Yeh, we get down, but come on depressed? Fuck me, I think its another thing that lazy bastards say they have got "Cant man, Im depressed"

Sort yourselves out FFS

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone I follow on Twitter RT that apparently depression is the fastest growing illness in the UK.

Is this due to it being easy for a GP to say "You're depressed / stressed take some time out" or have we become a soft touch nation?

Why is there a reason to be fucking depressed in this day and age in the UK? Seriosuley?

Yeh, we get down, but come on depressed? Fuck me, I think its another thing that lazy bastards say they have got "Cant man, Im depressed"

Sort yourselves out FFS

You have to understand the meaning of depression. It's not something that just happens and you get over it, it's an actual illness that is hard to cure.

There is a massive difference between real depression and people that are simply just pissed off for a few weeks, calling it depression.

Must admit I 100% agreed with you until the wife suffered post natal depression after our last bairn.

The change was quite shocking.

I think when you see otherwise happy folk like Gary Speed top themselves you have to realise there's a bit more to all this.

Most people will deny it but many people that use phones all day and on the internet in chat rooms and such, are hiding away from troubles, yet 90% will absolutely deny it on the actual internet...and yes, that includes football forums, the lot.

Sort yourselves out FFS

You can be astoundingly ignorant sometimes.

You can be astoundingly ignorant sometimes.

Have to agree, often depression isn't 'woe is me, I can't afford those trainers, life is sooo unfair', many people with depression don't even know why they feel it and it's not just an easy way for Drs to get someone out of their office (although I will admit there probably are a few).

Gary Speed is a good example as mentioned, he was rich, had a promising career, beautiful wife and kids, was loved by many people from family, friends and fans so 'what the fuck does he has to be depressed about!?'.

Ill try and find see if there is a link.

Clinical depression I know, but I am sure the word "depression" is getting banded around to easily.

I agree it is and it's used a lot with people claiming invalidity/sickness and also hoping for a prescription of saleable anti depressants which drug users use in abundance to chill out after fixes.

Any good doctor can spot the real signs of depression but most are too busy with the conveyor belt of patients to actually give a shit as it's all money per patient seen, so give them what they require.

I agree it is and it's used a lot with people claiming invalidity/sickness and also hoping for a prescription of saleable anti depressants which drug users use in abundance to chill out after fixes.

Any good doctor can spot the real signs of depression but most are too busy with the conveyor belt of patients to actually give a shit as it's all money per patient seen, so give them what they require.

That's about as far removed from the reality of the assesment process as one can go. Dope.

Ok apologies for coming accross as ignorant, its probably because of these tweets that have got my back up

glad it has helped you but I don't think that people are depressed through lack of spirituality

Seriously?!

Depression is a national symptom of capitalism, authoritarianism and inequality.

So ANYONE ask WHY depression is the biggest growing illness in the country? #wageslavery #brokensociety

Basically someone moaning because they have a job.

Yeah that's a fair enough gripe :lol:

I have a lass on facebook who was always falling asleep at her desk, would not come in some days because she was too tired etc.. When she was questioned on it she went to the drs.

Some people are just twats.

Ok apologies for coming accross as ignorant, its probably because of these tweets that have got my back up

Seriously?!

Basically someone moaning because they have a job.

It's not actually ignorant, as I can see your point with people claiming to be depressed and many claim to be, yet are only so called depressed over material matters in a good amount of cases.

The real depression is a 100% hard to cure illness, which those that claim to have it would be in trouble if they actually had the real thing.

Lass at my work has been off for about 3 months with depression and anxiety attacks... she's stupid enough to post pics on Facebook of her out with her mates on a weekend or at Slaley Hall for a spa day whilst being friends with her boss on there who is seeing all this.

Not the brightest of girls! I do believe she has issues like in all fairness, mainly brought on by the fact she's a bit of a daft bint who aspires to have a life style that is unobtainable with her level of intellegence and qualifications and instead of studying and working hard to get ahead just gives up and gets depressed and anxious.

I used to be pretty depressed in my early 20's... I just smoked lots of dope to cope with it, worked well until it started making me have panic attacks on the metro and not want to leave the house on weekends. I realised that only one person could make things better and that was me. I manned the fuck up, quite the dope, went out and faced life head on and sorted myself out. Glad I did as was in a pretty bad place at the time, but sadly a lot of people blame it on everyone and everything and never taking control of their own destiny and life leads to a self perpetuating cycle of unhappiness.

Is there an actual proven link between being a heavy dopehead and depression?

I ask because I did a similar thing in my twenties to Ajax Andy,but I'm not sure if the depression lead to more dope use , or vice versa?

From what I've read, there's a link between people with psychological problems and dope-smoking, but it's not been proven to be a causal link. i.e. people with psychological problems are probably just more likely to smoke weed/do drugs as an escape from their problems.