Depression

wykikitoon

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was put on a painkiller which, at low dosages works as a painkiller and at higher dosages works as an anti depressant. Reading up about it nobody seemed to know why it did both, but they were just happy to accept that it did.

Amitryptaline?

I have to admit, about 18 months ago i was completely oblivious to what 'depression' actually was, what it meant for people who had depression, that it was a real illness that severly affected, not just the life of the person suffering, but the life of loved-ones, family and friends and those around the sufferer. That was until my Dad was diagnosed with 'clinical depression'. It seemed he'd been depressed for years but that it had worsened for no specific reason. My Dad's recently remarried (about 5 years ago), has a great house/car, great wife, his kids are great and so too are his grand-kids, he has no money troubles or worries, basically, pretty much what we'd all hope for. And then one day i got a call on a Saturday evening, my dad was in the garage (it had 2-floors, the garage was built in 1890s had had this 'pully' feature with rope) and had the rope tied around his neck, perched on this ledge and the emergency service, his wife, brothers and sisters trying to talk him down. Proper nightmare. I got there and just hoped for the best. He was talked down. I understood in that instant that i never knew what depression was. Dad's had copious amounts of medication, to try and find something to give him the correct 'balance'. It's still being worked on. He's since taken an overdose but was found in time. He's even been sectioned for a small period. You worry every day that your gonna get a call. It hard. I get fucking annoyed when i hear ignorant c*nts say, you're minted man, what's wrong, your wife's great, you've got a great job, or take a holiday. I think i used to be like that but i now see my Dad every week, as much as i can, just you never know what is around the corner. Oh, and my Dad, he's one of the funniest, craziest, best blokes ever to be around when he's on a high, a real good guy, it's amazing the change when he's down....i'm gonna stop, feels like i'm about to write an obituary.

In a word, no. Eating healthily and leading an active life will give you a better chance at a good recovery but there's still plenty of fit and healthy people end up depressed. I said it earlier but I think the main culprit to the rise in depression in the UK is the shit state of the country at the minute. Parent's worrying about being able to put food on the table, no money to go on holidays, families living in shit tips with scum for neighbours and not being able to afford to move somehwere nicer.

A lot of the patient's we see these days suffer from 'shit life syndrome'

Fuck me, this is what annoys me.

This country is far from other countries who really do have poverty. We are not in a total shit state the peope think we are.

Are there people rummaging through bins to get food for their kids etc? Not really.

This sentance here sums it up for me

no money to go on holidays

When I was a kid we never went abroad, we went walking locally, playing on our bikes etc and I fucking loved it, never once did I sit asking my parents why we werent going away to Benidorm or the likes.

Are people heaping stress on themselves nowadays? Yes you want the best for your children and your family. Whats more important? Kids are clean clothed and fed and getting a good education, or, they get to goto Majorca for two weeks and to have the latest TV and gadgets?

I think a lot of things like XFactor and that bollocks have a lot to do with it. Too many gimps going on and getting their fame for doing nothing but acting a complete arse.

Its saddening really.

I think you also have to bear in mind how TV / Internet etc thrust what you cant have down your nose much more so now than in the seventies.

Also as PL points out, most people were in the same boat back then. These days the haves and have nots are much more intertwined, quite often living yards apart.

Anyway, is it not time for some depression jokes yet :)

This is very true... wife and I have a combined income of about £50k a year... next door neighbour has about £10k.

However she's probably the happiest person I've ever met... rough as fuck but proper sound. Our washing machine packed in once and she washed our clothes for a few weeks, every time we picked them up she'd tell us to bring another load round, all were tumble dried where appropriate and folded neatly. Lovely neighbour to have.

This is very true... wife and I have a combined income of about £50k a year... next door neighbour has about £10k.

However she's probably the happiest person I've ever met... rough as fuck but proper sound. Our washing machine packed in once and she washed our clothes for a few weeks, every time we picked them up she'd tell us to bring another load round, all were tumble dried where appropriate and folded neatly. Lovely neighbour to have.

She's crying herself to sleep at night over electricity bills cos you gave her no money for her work.

Many people hide real depression from the wider public and usually it's only their very close relatives that have any inkling of any problem they have.

Many people who are depressed, usually never seek treatment because they believe they can either snap out of it or they feel they will become a burden.

You see people having breakdowns and going completely nuts or acting all strange, which only takes that final trigger from months or years of built up stress and tension, yet most can and do snap out of it with the help of their friends and family, yet most of these same people are prone to actually going into full on depression later in life.

I've seen real depression first hand as I bet a good few have on here and just looking at the person who is suffering from it, doesn't actually tell hardly any story at all, yet seeing them literally give up on life or have no happy outlook when they do show the signs and it must be a living hell inside their heads, feeling useless to society or feeling weak among what they perceive as the strong willed people.

It's hard for many people to know how to deal with someone who has depression because most people are shit listeners or have little tolerance for anyone who is down and sometimes that person can be left alone to struggle along with depression, which in some cases leads to the inevitable final thoughts.

I think most people on here (if they are honest) will remember a few times when they didn't see the point of going on and actually thought about taking the easy way out, yet circumstances can change in an instant for most of us, as a full on downer is simply a feeling sorry for yourself and not an illness like full on depression is.

There's many things that can trigger depression and in many cases it usually stems all the way back to childhood and is a fight, all the way up to adulthood , yet most cope with it because they either have a demanding job or good interesting job and a social life with many good friends.

The loss of any or all of that can trigger it all off.

I have to admit, about 18 months ago i was completely oblivious to what 'depression' actually was, what it meant for people who had depression, that it was a real illness that severly affected, not just the life of the person suffering, but the life of loved-ones, family and friends and those around the sufferer. That was until my Dad was diagnosed with 'clinical depression'. It seemed he'd been depressed for years but that it had worsened for no specific reason. My Dad's recently remarried (about 5 years ago), has a great house/car, great wife, his kids are great and so too are his grand-kids, he has no money troubles or worries, basically, pretty much what we'd all hope for. And then one day i got a call on a Saturday evening, my dad was in the garage (it had 2-floors, the garage was built in 1890s had had this 'pully' feature with rope) and had the rope tied around his neck, perched on this ledge and the emergency service, his wife, brothers and sisters trying to talk him down. Proper nightmare. I got there and just hoped for the best. He was talked down. I understood in that instant that i never knew what depression was. Dad's had copious amounts of medication, to try and find something to give him the correct 'balance'. It's still being worked on. He's since taken an overdose but was found in time. He's even been sectioned for a small period. You worry every day that your gonna get a call. It hard. I get fucking annoyed when i hear ignorant c*nts say, you're minted man, what's wrong, your wife's great, you've got a great job, or take a holiday. I think i used to be like that but i now see my Dad every week, as much as i can, just you never know what is around the corner. Oh, and my Dad, he's one of the funniest, craziest, best blokes ever to be around when he's on a high, a real good guy, it's amazing the change when he's down....i'm gonna stop, feels like i'm about to write an obituary.

Fucking Hell!

Sorry to hear that,

I hope you paid her handsomely. Neighbours like that are worth their weight in gold.

Fuck me, this is what annoys me.

This country is far from other countries who really do have poverty. We are not in a total shit state the peope think we are.

Are there people rummaging through bins to get food for their kids etc? Not really.

This sentance here sums it up for me

When I was a kid we never went abroad, we went walking locally, playing on our bikes etc and I fucking loved it, never once did I sit asking my parents why we werent going away to Benidorm or the likes.

Are people heaping stress on themselves nowadays? Yes you want the best for your children and your family. Whats more important? Kids are clean clothed and fed and getting a good education, or, they get to goto Majorca for two weeks and to have the latest TV and gadgets?

I think a lot of things like XFactor and that bollocks have a lot to do with it. Too many gimps going on and getting their fame for doing nothing but acting a complete arse.

Its saddening really.

Expectations versus reality. It's hackneyed but poor Cambodians living in shacks are, on the face if it at least, the happiest people I've met.

Buddha knew his stuff tbh, desire fucks you up.

As others have pointed out, depression isn't new, it's just reported more these days. Plenty of people killed themselves in the 60s and 70s too

Agreed. Also as the relative of mine who's affected pointed out, a good proportion of 'accidental deaths' that are recorded are actually to an extent suicides - just because they haven't tied a piece of rope round their neck, swallowed a bottle full of pills or connected a hose pipe to their car exhaust doesn't mean they haven't intended to end their life.

In this particular instance they were crossing busy roads without looking. If a car had hit them then nature had intervened. Sounds selfish towards those driving the cars but true depression doesn't permit for guilt.

I hope you paid her handsomely. Neighbours like that are worth their weight in gold.

She's not the type to accept payment for doing stuff like that but I think we gave her a couple of bottles of wine and some flowers to say thanks. She's done other little favours for us over the last few years too and we always give her a bottle of wine to say thanks... she's a bit of a piss head on the weekends so she's always very happy with alcohol as payment lol

She's not the type to accept payment for doing stuff like that but I think we gave her a couple of bottles of wine and some flowers to say thanks. She's done other little favours for us over the last few years too and we always give her a bottle of wine to say thanks... she's a bit of a piss head on the weekends so she's always very happy with alcohol as payment lol

Hahaha....get rid of your washer and substitute it for a stocked wine rack, then send all your gear to her and just keep handing her a bottle...saves on eleccy, washing powder and costly repair bills.

Hahaha....get rid of your washer and substitute it for a stocked wine rack, then send all your gear to her and just keep handing her a bottle...saves on eleccy, washing powder and costly repair bills.

Alreet, Timmy Mallett.