Depression

wykikitoon

When I was about 22, I had about 4 months where I was fuckin really bad. I don't know if it was clinical depression, but I was pretty fucking bad. I don't know if it was actual depression even though I was depressed. I couldn't think straight because to be quite open and frank with you, I was off the rails, gambling £1000 a week I couldn't afford, I was doing loads of e, and it was really fucking me up. Working in Sunderland made me even worse. I stopped all the shit, never really done any harmful drugs since, and I was back to my cheerful old self in no time. When you are depressed though, it's a fucking lonely old place, you think everyone thinks you're a mug, and you get paranoid.

I'd have ended up dead if I didn't change at that time, being hospitalised by 3 kids did me more good than bad. I did prozac for 2 months, but that's nee good neither because you don't feel sad any more which is fair enough, but you don't feel happy neither. You don't fucking feel anything, nothing excites you, and you don't know why you exist. Anyway, I would never just say pull yourself together to someone who's depressed, because I'm sure every depression is slightly different.

When I had it I used to talk to me sister who is a psychologist, and I used to say usually when everything is bad and people are cunts, I feel like I'm in a greenhouse and all of the rain bounces off, but now all of the glass is smashed and even little things are hurting me. It was over a four month period, I remember the toon beat Man Utd 3-0 (Big Dunc scored) and I was at the match like a fucking zombie was awful. Everyone went out afterwards, but I went home in tears. You get stronger again though, and never look back, I've had bad times since as everybody does, but never been depressed since then.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was about 22, I had about 4 months where I was fuckin really bad. I don't know if it was clinical depression, but I was pretty fucking bad. I don't know if it was actual depression even though I was depressed. I couldn't think straight because to be quite open and frank with you, I was off the rails, gambling £1000 a week I couldn't afford, I was doing loads of e, and it was really fucking me up. Working in Sunderland made me even worse. I stopped all the shit, never really done any harmful drugs since, and I was back to my cheerful old self in no time. When you are depressed though, it's a fucking lonely old place, you think everyone thinks you're a mug, and you get paranoid.

I'd have ended up dead if I didn't change at that time, being hospitalised by 3 kids did me more good than bad. I did prozac for 2 months, but that's nee good neither because you don't feel sad any more which is fair enough, but you don't feel happy neither. You don't fucking feel anything, nothing excites you, and you don't know why you exist. Anyway, I would never just say pull yourself together to someone who's depressed, because I'm sure every depression is slightly different.

When I had it I used to talk to me sister who is a psychologist, and I used to say usually when everything is bad and people are cunts, I feel like I'm in a greenhouse and all of the rain bounces off, but now all of the glass is smashed and even little things are hurting me. It was over a four month period, I remember the toon beat Man Utd 3-0 (Big Dunc scored) and I was at the match like a fucking zombie was awful. Everyone went out afterwards, but I went home in tears. You get stronger again though, and never look back, I've had bad times since as everybody does, but never been depressed since then.

At least you have the bottle to admit it, regardless of it being on a message board. Admitting to something like that is a key issue to actually dealing with it.

I just don't like her ;)

And her body depresses her. Poor Victoria.

Pipe down! It is blasphemous to say anything negative about Queen Victoria.

The filthy bitch that she so obviously is.

I think all atheletes in single-competitive sports need to be self obsessed just to get to the top...the very best hide it well from the general public so they keep the sponsorship deals rolling in, doesn't look like Vicky managed it very well though. She needs to step out of the media spotlight for a bit, but going straight from an Olympic podium on to a live BBC tv dancing contest in front of millions suggests she likes the attention a bit too much...not a good combination for the old mental health I'd imagine.

Edited by PaddockLad

She needs to step out of the media spotlight for a bit, but going straight from an Olympic podium on to a live BBC tv dancing contest in front of millions suggests she likes the attention a bit too much

I can't blame any Olympian for cashing in while they're still hot. After the countless hours training that they put in without much chance of any serious financial reward it's hard to begrudge her her time in the limelight and the paid interviews, appearances and sponsorships that come with it.

A family member of mine went to the doctor and was diagnosed with depression. She told the doctor that she didn't want anti-depressants and would much prefer counselling but was told that the waiting list was so long that she would be waiting well over a year and to take the pills. Anyone know how long it takes to get talking to a counselor on the NHS for someone who has 'mild' depression?

I had Jungian psychotherapy a couple of years ago for about 4 months. I can honestly say it was better than my other method of handling my issues ie going down the pub getting drunk and chatting bullshit. Although I'd admit both methods have their merits. :lol:

I honestly believe a lot of depression these days is caused by the structures of society breaking down and people gabbling on about Lost and Dexter instead of actually listening to each others problems. ;)

At least you have the bottle to admit it, regardless of it being on a message board. Admitting to something like that is a key issue to actually dealing with it.

Well it's hardly like I'm coming oot the closet and saying I'm bent.* Having depression is fuck all to be ashamed of, it's 2012 not 1912. I don't know about chemical imbalances in the brain for me, because it was all because of a perfect storm in my life, the chemical imbalances were probably created by dutch chemicals.

* nowt wrong with this too for anyone that gets on their high horse or bats for Kent [/morematuremodernman]

Edited by McFaul

Well it's hardly like I'm coming oot the closet and saying I'm bent.* Having depression is fuck all to be ashamed of, it's 2012 not 1912. I don't know about chemical imbalances in the brain for me, because it was all because of a perfect storm in my life, the chemical imbalances were probably created by dutch chemicals.

* nowt wrong with this too for anyone that gets on their high horse or bats for Kent [/morematuremodernman]

It shouldn't be something to be ashamed of but it's still pretty brave to admit it imo.

After my dad died in 2009 (day after Bobby Robson), I had bereavement counselling through CRUSE, who are based at St. Gabriel's in Heaton. It was 6 group sessions of talking through what the grief actually meant; it was really helpful (& free, though donations keep the organisation going). It was non-judgemental & entirely reflective & supportive. It stopped me from becoming medically depressed I'm sure, as it provided timely intervention, halfway between a formal medical referral (waiting list; stigma etc) & family discussions (fraught with difficulty as everyone is involved in the same grieving process & reacts differently).

If anyone ever needs this, the contact details can be found at http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/LocalCruse.html

• 6 months later...