Depression

wykikitoon

FYI Too Craig & Renton.

I apologised for my ignorance as I had obviosuly got my back up over someone on Twitter having a go over depression blaming it on the governement etc. Being a wage slave etc.

Didnt really think before I posted, I apologies.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get depressed rather a lot, and my moods either tend to be either really good or really bad. Would never go to a doctor though because I'd just be wasting their time. I feel awful having the very minor symptoms I get, so I can't imagine what it must be like for those with genuine depression, can't see how anyone would snub it completely when it's done so much to so many people.

J69, this is one for you I suppose.

We as a society are moving ever closer to the Americans. Fast food, fast life, 600 channels of shit and basically a shocking lifestyle of eating shite with zero exercise.

Its proven that even moderate exercise not only brings a healtier lifestyle physiologicaly, but also mentally, exercise raises endorphines etc. Would you say that the lifstyle of most people nowadays is a large contributing factor to the rise in depression?

Im on some head fuck medication (which im currently in the process of switching to a substitute) which I will need to take for the rest of my life and some of the side effects send me really really low once every 6 months or so. Have a period of days where i wake up and my entire body feels paralysed and cannot get out of bed for love nor money as the prospect of anything whatsoever happening is just awful. Definitely isn't the same sensation as feeling shit due to work or lack of money (I don't know if it is 'depression' like), as it is just completely all encompassing for about 48 hours then it goes. Hopefully the change in meds will get rid of it like but its fucking horrible when it happens. What's strange about it is the medication is also given to some people to treat bi polar disorder. I don't tend to get upset or owt very much, but I do wonder if there is something in the fact that the medication is used for that in other instances, and those days where I firmly believe that there is no point in anything at all :/

EDIT: Sorry to be bleak!

Edited by ADP

A family member of mine went to the doctor and was diagnosed with depression. She told the doctor that she didn't want anti-depressants and would much prefer counselling but was told that the waiting list was so long that she would be waiting well over a year and to take the pills. Anyone know how long it takes to get talking to a counselor on the NHS for someone who has 'mild' depression?

Has she considered contacting the Samaritans?

It's strange and quite difficult to go out and define depression when it's a state of mind/illness that can take many forms and to different degrees of severity. I'm not sure whether I've ever been *clinically* depressed but definitely being 13-17 was a very difficult time - my parents split up and would often go at each other with me around, which was a bit much to deal with on top of the typical teenage angst! Since my family's always been the kind that never talks about problems I didn't really have a network of people to turn towards. There were also some bereavements in the family that were very poorly timed - I went to three funerals within two years for grandparents and an uncle whilst all the crap at home and school was going on that definitely made the situation worse.

Ended up in contact with the Samaritans when it was all getting a bit too much, especially when GCSEs & A levels rolled around. Definitely have a lot of respect and appreciation for what they do - it's a fantastic service and genuinely helpful if you just want someone to lend an ear. Completely anonymous too which was best for me.

Obviously nowadays I'm a bit more level-headed and thankfully haven't been at such a low point since. There's the occasional bout of situational depression for example last year when I couldn't find a bastard job for want of trying, but who can honestly say they never feel this way from time to time? Alex is spot on when he says it's great that nowadays people can admit they're depressed or struggling, and it's probably for that reason people are now diagnosed with depression and other problems more often.

We as a society are moving ever closer to the Americans. Fast food, fast life, 600 channels of shit and basically a shocking lifestyle of eating shite with zero exercise.

Its proven that even moderate exercise not only brings a healtier lifestyle physiologicaly, but also mentally, exercise raises endorphines etc. Would you say that the lifstyle of most people nowadays is a large contributing factor to the rise in depression?

I know what you are saying but I think this is where Depression gets confused with people just not happy with their lot and being depressed about it.

Massive difference.

Re your keep fit malarky btw, some of the unhappiest people are the "beautiful people" ;)

In a word, no. Eating healthily and leading an active life will give you a better chance at a good recovery but there's still plenty of fit and healthy people end up depressed. I said it earlier but I think the main culprit to the rise in depression in the UK is the shit state of the country at the minute. Parent's worrying about being able to put food on the table, no money to go on holidays, families living in shit tips with scum for neighbours and not being able to afford to move somehwere nicer.

A lot of the patient's we see these days suffer from 'shit life syndrome'

Im on some head fuck medication (which im currently in the process of switching to a substitute) which I will need to take for the rest of my life and some of the side effects send me really really low once every 6 months or so. Have a period of days where i wake up and my entire body feels paralysed and cannot get out of bed for love nor money as the prospect of anything whatsoever happening is just awful. Hopefully the change in meds will get rid of it like but its fucking horrible when it happens. What's strange about it is the medication is also given to some people to treat bi polar disorder. I don't tend to get upset or owt very much, but I do wonder if there is something in the fact that the medication is used for that in other instances, and those days where I firmly believe that there is no point in anything at all :/

EDIT: Sorry to be bleak!

I wouldn't worry about other uses for the medication. Lot's of different mental health meds have dual uses. We still don't know why a lot of things work the way they do, they just do. ECT for example, It works wonders for some of the most depressed patient's you could ever meet and they still aren't sure why exactly.

I think the main culprit to the rise in depression in the UK is the shit state of the country at the minute. Parent's worrying about being able to put food on the table, no money to go on holidays, families living in shit tips with scum for neighbours and not being able to afford to move somehwere nicer.

I don't think the 70s was particularly good for upwardly mobile, jet-setting, working poor families on pristine well policed council estates.

People are just happier to seek help for the troubles life throws at them these days.

I wouldn't worry about other uses for the medication. Lot's of different mental health meds have dual uses. We still don't know why a lot of things work the way they do, they just do. ECT for example, It works wonders for some of the most depressed patient's you could ever meet and they still aren't sure why exactly.

Aye. I don't profess to know loads about mental health at all like. Just initially found it a bit strange that the treatment for a neurological disorder is the same as that of bipolar disorder.

Has she considered contacting the Samaritans?

As I understand it when you ring the Samaritans you get put through to a random volunteer? I think she'd benefit more from having regular interaction with the same person who could work through her issues with her.

Aye. I don't profess to know loads about mental health at all like. Just initially found it a bit strange that the treatment for a neurological disorder is the same as that of bipolar disorder.

I was put on a painkiller which, at low dosages works as a painkiller and at higher dosages works as an anti depressant. Reading up about it nobody seemed to know why it did both, but they were just happy to accept that it did.

I don't think the 70s was particularly good for upwardly mobile, jet-setting, working poor families on pristine well policed council estates.

People are just happier to seek help for the troubles life throws at them these days.

Or people were less likely to feel sorry for themselves, which leads to the modern type of "depression", if am reading J69 correctly. I do think thats the case, we had fuck all when I was a kid but were nowhere near "poor", am sure most folks on here were the same. I do come across some right self pitying so and so's nowdays, for who if everythings not fabulous dahling its a pretty big problem. The last 3 girls I've been involved with were on medication when I met them....I'll let others put add their own punchline to that ;)

I think you also have to bear in mind how TV / Internet etc thrust what you cant have down your nose much more so now than in the seventies.

Also as PL points out, most people were in the same boat back then. These days the haves and have nots are much more intertwined, quite often living yards apart.

Anyway, is it not time for some depression jokes yet :)

My doctor said LSD has had a serious effect on my mental health and altered my state of mind to the point where I'm walking around in a constant dream world. I decided to get a second opinion. He must be overreacting because the Lizard King from the 5th dimension of Nazkabar reckons I'm just suffering from stress.

I suppose Coronation street hardly exposed people to what they were missing back in the day.

The aspirational media these days has a lot to answer for on that front.

Still don't think that's a cause of depression at all. Just something for depressive people to fixate on as to why their lives are so much worse than what they'd want it to be.

Consumerism has contributed to an epidemic of narcissism and such introspection and self obsession sets up depressive states. Part of the solution (addressing cause, not symptoms) is greater social and community activity (not the pub), reclaiming our heritage as social, kinship animals and stepping outside of our personal issues to assist others. These boxes of people and boxes of stuff aren't generally good for us.

Edited by trophyshy