Solar roof panels..

wolfy

We are getting fucked over with our eleccy and gas bills, obviously you all must have noticed this.

This solar power that people seem to be paying big bucks for , to have installed, what are your savings and is anyone using solar power that supposedly sends excess energy back to the grid meaning you get paid for it?

I think there's a big scam going on with it but I would like to know people's thoughts on it.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are getting fucked over with our eleccy and gas bills, obviously you all must have noticed this.

This solar power that people seem to be paying big bucks for , to have installed, what are your savings and is anyone using solar power that supposedly sends excess energy back to the grid meaning you get paid for it?

I think there's a big scam going on with it but I would like to know people's thoughts on it.

hardly shocking but, please, elaborate.

You idiots! Nothing can pass through a vacuum so how can solar energy that comes from the sun reach our solar panels?

The idiot is you. Radiated heat can pass trough a vacuum but it's useless until it hits molecules which can be agitated, like the Earth's atmosphere.

Do pay attention.

The idiot is you. Radiated heat can pass trough a vacuum but it's useless until it hits molecules which can be agitated, like the Earth's atmosphere.

Do pay attention.

This is a very good site we all probably frequent, and it's one that will help broaden your mind. I've even linked the relevant article to this thread.

http://science.howst.../solar-cell.htm

The fact that you're saying it's hardly shocking, I'd like you to give your thoughts.

you first, how is it a scam?

you put an array of photovoltaic panels on your roof at the proper angle and orientation, have an electrician wire it up and boom your meter will run backwards. how do you fake that?

Just in case you're interested in how solar energy works.

This topic isn't about how it works, I'm not denying how it works.

I just want to know who has it and what they actually save on eleccy bills.

Plus I'd like to know anyone that has a system installed that actually sends excess energy back to the grid.

I know solar panels work, it's just how effective do they work in the long term.

Energy companies do not want to help people by encouraging them to use alternative means so that those companies lose money do they.

I'd just love a few honest opinions by those who aren't up each others arses on here, who have these panels and what they believe they are saving by having them.

I want to know how it works though.

Edit: Actually, the bloke at works got some. He's tighter than a bad chest so there has to be some financial reward in it. I can ask him if you like.

Edited by Alex

I want to know how it works though.

Edit: Actually, the bloke at works got some. He's tighter than a bad chest so there has to be some financial reward in it. I can ask him if you like.

Yes, ask him, I'd genuinely like to know what people are saving and the actual cost of it all from start to finish against what you would actually save over the long term.

I looked at the finance of these a while ago. I figured out it would take about 10 years for them to reach the break even point. Given they are expected to last about 20 years you can make a bit on them in the long term but you will be out of pocket for the first 10 years or so.

You have to look at what you pay for electric and what the panels will produce. You get paid for any excess that feeds back into the grid. I was living in Plymouth when I looked at them and I would only be exporting power to the grid for 1 or 2 months a year. Would've been none this summer. So would have jusbja reduced bills.

I didn't go for them as I didnt think I'd stay in the house for 10 years.

I looked at the finance of these a while ago. I figured out it would take about 10 years for them to reach the break even point. Given they are expected to last about 20 years you can make a bit on them in the long term but you will be out of pocket for the first 10 years or so.

You have to look at what you pay for electric and what the panels will produce. You get paid for any excess that feeds back into the grid. I was living in Plymouth when I looked at them and I would only be exporting power to the grid for 1 or 2 months a year. Would've been none this summer. So would have jusbja reduced bills.

That's a fair enough answer, cheers.

How do they work though?