James McClean

Kid Dynamite

I largely agree, but without the sacrifice of millions in the last century none of us would get the choice. Not much to ask and if he's from Derry am sure he has his reasons, but still. He's taking hundreds of thousands a year in salary from an English team, wheres his fuckin princples there?

There's a difference between having issues with the actions of the British military and living in England.

The whole issue of football clubs being pressured into wearing the poppy on their shirts is the real problem. But when his club decided that they would put the poppy on their top then his conscious decision to refuse to follow the rest of the team was foolish.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a total lack of respect, and anyone who doesn't wear one is a cunt, or in McLeans case an IRA supporting cunt.

Well I'm certainly a cunt then - never have bought one and never will. "Remembrance" is a synonym for glorification in my view.

I recognise the sacrifices in the two world wars but all the ones from the rest can fuck off.

Well I'm certainly a cunt then - never have bought one and never will. "Remembrance" is a synonym for glorification in my view.

I recognise the sacrifices in the two world wars but all the ones from the rest can fuck off

Which is why I wear one.

These are men who ultimately had no real choice but to fight.

Its more the charity that bothers me than the sentiment and I have no objection to silences/wreath laying. I've said before I have little sympathy for those who sign up without conscription but having said that the state should provide for those who are injured/killed .

I wear it because its a yearly reminder of the devastation caused by the two World Wars, as well as in remembrance of those who lost their lives.

Your point about the state providing for injured servicemen brings me to a little bugbear of mine- Help for Heroes.

I don't donate to it, not because I don't think it's a worthy cause, but because it shouldn't have to exist. The state should look after injured servicemen, for the rest of their lives, unequivocally.

Find the argument that he should wear one because he has the choice utterly baffling.

Being pedantic about it am sure you're spot on, but it doesnt require a huge effort to show respect for those who made sure we have the choice. We should all wear one iyam, but if you choose not to thats cool too. I doubt many of the fallen got on a troop ship thinking "they'll fuckin love us for this....".

The poppy is associated with Flanders fields as an emblem of those who died in World War I, Regardless of nationality its a symbol of remembrance not just those who fought in the British Army.

Being in the Army I have taken part in many Remembrance parades not just with British troops, The RBL (Royal British Legion) send out poppies to over 120 countries and they are worn in Canada, USA, Spain, France, Sri Lanka and also Germany to name a few.

Personally I think it's a shame James McClean hasn't worn one today and I think maybe a bit more education is required on his part.

As I said in a previous post

The poppy is associated with Flanders fields as an emblem of those who died in World War I, Regardless of nationality its a symbol of remembrance not just those who fought in the British Army.

Being in the Army I have taken part in many Remembrance parades not just with British troops, The RBL (Royal British Legion) send out poppies to over 120 countries and they are worn in Canada, USA, Spain, France, Sri Lanka and also Germany to name a few.

Personally I think it's a shame James McClean hasn't worn one today and I think maybe a bit more education is required on his part.

Find the argument that he should wear one because he has the choice utterly baffling.

This. Personally I wear one, I know people who won't, including my parents. They have their reasons, which I don't agree with. They are a million miles from being cunts though.

What kind of free society was fought for when it's not a free society? I'm confused, it's like we have multiple Leazes on here re: this.

Edited by Renton

So MOn and McClean didn't wear a poppy, maybe they should have read a bit more history.

"Will you wear a poppy?" the lady said

And held one forth, but I shook my head.

Then I stopped and watched to see how she’d fare

Her face was old and lined with care.

But beneath the scars the years had made

There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street

Bouncing along on carefree feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun

"Lady’, he said, "May I have one?"

As she pinned it on I heard him say

"Why do we wear a poppy today?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way

And answered, "This is ANZAC Day.

The poppy there is the symbol for

The gallant men who died in our war.

And because they did, you and I are free

That’s why we wear a poppy you see."

"I had a boy about your size

With golden hair and big blue eyes.

He loved to jump and play and shout

Free as a bird he would race about

As years went on he learned and grew

And became a man as you will, too."

"He was fine and strong with a boyish smile

But he seemed with us such a little while.

When war broke out he went away

I still remember his face that day.

When he smiled at me and said ‘Goodbye

I’ll be back soon so please don’t cry.’"

"But the war went on so he had to stay

All I could do was wait and pray.

His letters told of the awful fight

I can still see it in my dreams at night.

With tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire

And mines and bullets, the bombs and fire."

'Til at last the war was won

"And that’s why we wear a poppy, son."

The small boy turned as if to go

Then said, "Thanks lady, I’m glad to know.

That sure did sound like an awful fight

But your son, did he come home all right?"

A tear rolled down each faded cheek

She shook her head but didn’t speak.

I slunk away, head bowed in shame

And if you were with me, you’d have done the same.

For our thanks in giving is oft delayed

Though the freedom was bought and thousands paid.

And so you see, when a poppy is worn

Let us reflect on the burden borne.

By those who gave their very all

When asked to answer their country’s call.

That we are home in peace may live

Then wear a poppy, remember and give.

If you bothered reading you would know that the poppy is not just about the British Army. Millions of people not sleeping because of those acts? What utter drivel.

The money raised goes to the British armed forces though, right?

More than 2 million have been displaced from Iraq alone.

Coppers are coppers by choice, tragic when one is killed in line of duty, but ultimately they weren't forced to be a copper.

So once all the conscripted soldiers have died, is it ok not to wear a poppy then?

The poppy was to remember the first world war which was supposed to be the war to end all wars. The poppies signified the millions who died and the idea of remembrance was hey let's remember all those who died next time we think of having a war and not do it? The sad thing about chip on the shoulder republican cunts is that they are refusing to remember the many Irish dead who also lie in Flanders fields row on row. Poppies are not about glorifying war or glorifying the actions of soldiers. They are about there being enough dead sons, daughters, wives, husband, fathers and mothers lets not have anymore.

Millions of people that posed no threat whatsoever to me don't sleep safe around the globe due to those violent acts.

Done this argument every year for 7 Years on here like. Wish anyone that wears a poppy the best and respect their genrosity as well as the sacrifice they pay tribute to. Also respect the right of those that have suffered violence, or cannot in good conscience support the violence perpetrated by the British army, to not wear one. It's not like he's burning poppies or owt.

6 million dead Jews might think you are a tit.

6 million dead Jews might think you are a tit.

Probably a lot more than that. I'm on Palestines side.

The British armed forces have done amazing things. They've also been sent on some dodgy errands, and occasionally fucked up in other countries.

No-one's done anything to denegrate any of their good work here. Or given stick to anyone buying a poppy.

My fatha was a navy man for years. I'm proud of the bloke.