James McClean

Kid Dynamite

Surely you'd be wearing a poppy to remember them, since they're dead. ;)

Ahh, I get you now. What's the money collected for once all the veterans are dead though?

I would hope that all right thinking people will continue to respect the silence regardless of the charity.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, I get you now. What's the money collected for once all the veterans are dead though?

I would hope that all right thinking people will continue to respect the silence regardless of the charity.

Its more the charity that bothers me than the sentiment and I have no objection to silences/wreath laying. I've said before I have little sympathy for those who sign up without conscription but having said that the state should provide for those who are injured/killed .

At its core, the poppy is a symbol of respect and gratitude. By not wearing one, you are basically saying you do not respect the sacrifices of British soldiers, or you're not gratefull for it. Either way, it takes a bellend of extreme proportions to not wear one in that case without serious just cause. I'd have no issue for example with a tourist from the ROI not wearing one tomorrow.

But James McLean has no serious just cause here - after the deaths of many innocent people on both sides, the people of Derry are free to be Catholic, free to be Irish citizens, and free to denounce the British to the limits of our very liberal idea of free speech, all while benefitting from being part of the UK in comparison to how the average citizen fairs in the irish free state.

If he feels so strongly about Britain and the British Army to make such a public act of disrespect to all the soldiers who've never even stepped foot in Northern Ireland, while picking up the wages from people who in all likelihood know or are related to the people who the poppy appeal supports and remembers, then he's a bellend of the highest order, and by extension, so is anyone who defends him.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to commit violence on their behalf.

Millions of people that posed no threat whatsoever to me don't sleep safe around the globe due to those violent acts.

Done this argument every year for 7 Years on here like. Wish anyone that wears a poppy the best and respect their genrosity as well as the sacrifice they pay tribute to. Also respect the right of those that have suffered violence, or cannot in good conscience support the violence perpetrated by the British army, to not wear one. It's not like he's burning poppies or owt.

Millions of people that posed no threat whatsoever to me don't sleep safe around the globe due to those violent acts.

Done this argument every year for 7 Years on here like. Wish anyone that wears a poppy the best and respect their genrosity as well as the sacrifice they pay tribute to. Also respect the right of those that have suffered violence, or cannot in good conscience support the violence perpetrated by the British army, to not wear one. It's not like he's burning poppies or owt.

If you bothered reading you would know that the poppy is not just about the British Army. Millions of people not sleeping because of those acts? What utter drivel.

I don't donate to it, not because I don't think it's a worthy cause, but because it shouldn't have to exist. The state should look after injured servicemen, for the rest of their lives, unequivocally.

I think I'm on record here as having argued the complete opposite in the past but I agree with you, the least a government can do is provide for the 'suckers' who end up injured fighting for the nation's 'interests'.

looked on the highlights there was a few players without them on the shirts for sunderland anyway

I believe that McClean was the only one who started without a poppy. Apparently a couple came out in the second half with new shirts that didn't have the poppy but did in the first half.

Premier League - McClean opts out of poppy tribute

Sunderland have said winger James McClean's decision not to wear a Remembrance Day poppy on his shirt was a personal one.

Eurosport – 3 hours ago

The Republic of Ireland international was the only Sunderland player without an embroidered poppy on his shirt during Saturday's 2-1 Premier League defeat at Everton.

Manager Martin O'Neill who, like McClean, was born in Northern Ireland, also wore a poppy.

A Sunderland statement said: "As a club, SAFC wholeheartedly supports the Remembrance commemorations. It was James' personal choice not to wear a shirt on this occasion."

A minute's silence was observed at grounds across the country, and a Premier League spokesperson added: "We have great support from the clubs. It is a matter of choice whether people wore the poppy."

Poppies - used by the Royal British Legion as a sign of Remembrance - have been a subject of debate in the game. In 2010 a group of Celtic supporters held up a banner protesting against their players wearing poppies on their shirt. The SPL giants apologised for the actions of a "small minority".

Derry-born McClean found himself the target for abuse earlier this year when he made his Republic of Ireland debut, having represented Northern Ireland at youth levels.

Under the terms of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, players born in Northern Ireland can choose to represent either Irish team.

I posted that McClean was a c**t on Twitter yesterday for not wearing a poppy. Was an off the cuff comment at the time but I've had a ton of abuse off Irish and Scottish Republicans! It's McCleans choice at the end of the day but I'm not buying this 'He lived through Bloody Sunday' shite.

Irish Soldiers helped defeat the Nazi's too. Since when did Rememberance Day become about the troubles in Ireland? Seems like there are a lot of bitter young males across the water still.

Does it not do your head in Ant?

Edited by TheRollingStones

The argument normally, and correctly, used is that Irish soldiers fought alongside British soldiers in WW1, which is what the Poppy originally represented.

Only a handful of Irish fought against the Nazis.

he's wore them before you realise so your theory is a bit off target (o'neil), remember when Jon Snow not wearing one was being blown outta proportion as well.

is o'neil wandering around in his usual bamp like tracksuit garb? Could be why like, if he has one might be on suit/jacket.

never got the outrage over the poppy stuff, i never wear any charity badges etc half the time people just keep them on to stop them getting hassled by the ton of "collectors" when they're walking down a street.

Over here it's stupidly politicised though, a bar the other day was in the news for turning away a former police officer because he had one on, should've seen the publicity it got.

Don't have a problem with people wearing them or not wearing them tbh. Although making a big deal out of either probably means you're a fucking knob tbh. Jon Snow aside, as I could see his point. This isn't a dig at you btw, J69. I meant people who make a big deal out of not weaing or wearing them themselves.

The argument normally, and correctly, used is that Irish soldiers fought alongside British soldiers in WW1, which is what the Poppy originally represented.

Only a handful of Irish fought against the Nazis.

And Donald Sutherland fought for them iirc.

There was a fairly recent report I read about how large numbers of recruits for the British Army now come from Eire. Although I would imagine it's the same reason you get loads from places like Ashington, i.e. Ireland's recession has bitten hard in a similar way to how people from those ex-mining communities often find it difficult to find work when they leave school. And with McClean coming from Derry, it makes his position difficult. I don't subscribe to the simplistic argument that he's over here now, earning money here so he needs to wear one. He's not an employee of the state, is he? Anyone in his position would've jumped at the chance to come to the PL but then expecting him to abandon his principles upon doing so is pretty ridiculous. I don't agree with him but I can understand where he's coming from. And it's an unfortunate fact that the Poppy has become politicised particularly in relation to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Especially when you consider what it's meant to be all about.