Appreciate your thought here.....

Jay Jay Sea

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So has anyone on here got any idea what I do? :lol:

I wear a suit to work for starters. Sorry to shatter the illusion

You've mentioned your grade before so I must admit I'm surprised you wear a suit. Mental health though is (unfortunately) not a popular career choice in medicine and I am yet to meet a consultant in that area who has impressed me.

Anyway, what people wear to work is fairly irrelevant to the interestingness of their job in my experience.

IEvery band 8 I know wears a suit to work. Or is that your attempt at humour?

By suit do you mean shirt and tie? See, I wear a shirt and tie but even then the tie is optional, except certain meetings.

But afaik clinical nurses wear casual clothes in mental health (presumably to fit in with the inpatients), which makes your desk job comment puzzling. Why do you wear a suit if you're not senior management?

You do realise that about 90% of MH patients are outpatients don't you?

I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, most nurses in that field would be tending inpatients.

Why do you wear a suit though? Most consultants don't, I don't get it.

I was working in the daycase unit yesterday. As it was Children in Need, all the nursing staff were wearing pyjamas. If it wasn't for the fact we only do children on Fridays it would have been very difficult to distinguish between patients and staff!

I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, most nurses in that field would be tending inpatients.

Why do you wear a suit though? Most consultants don't, I don't get it.

You're right, you are wrong. History tells us people get better, quicker in their own homes. Only the really unwell (usually sectioned) patients end up on an inpatient ward. Just in Shields over the last couple of years we have had the following teams dealing with patients in the community

Crisis team

Psychosis team

Non psychosis team

IAPT

Early intervention in psychosis

Elderly team

Camhs team

Assertive outreach team

Self harm liaison team

Forensic team

Adolescent forensic team

LD team

Children's rapid response team

If you are a band 8 I can only assume it's in a non clinical capacity doing some sort of admin due to youre lack of knowledge in relation to the way the NHS is moving towards working. It's not just in MH either. It's an awful lot more cost effective to treat a patient at home or in a day hospital than it is in an inpatient bed where you incur costs for building rent, gas, water, electric, porters, catering staff, cleaning staff, nurses to man the wards amongst a hundred other things.

You're right, you are wrong. History tells us people get better, quicker in their own homes. Only the really unwell (usually sectioned) patients end up on an inpatient ward. Just in Shields over the last couple of years we have had the following teams dealing with patients in the community

Crisis team

Psychosis team

Non psychosis team

IAPT

Early intervention in psychosis

Elderly team

Camhs team

Assertive outreach team

Self harm liaison team

Forensic team

Adolescent forensic team

LD team

Children's rapid response team

If you are a band 8 I can only assume it's in a non clinical capacity doing some sort of admin due to youre lack of knowledge in relation to the way the NHS is moving towards working. It's not just in MH either. It's an awful lot more cost effective to treat a patient at home or in a day hospital than it is in an inpatient bed where you incur costs for building rent, gas, water, electric, porters, catering staff, cleaning staff, nurses to man the wards amongst a hundred other things.

I don't work with patients. I do work with consultants. Infection controls mean that the wearing of long sleeves even is being phased out; hat was my impression anyway.

I can't think of any patient benefits for nurses to wear suits. Really, it strikes me as daft. Either wear a uniform or go casual, it's less divisive and patriarchal.