Tyneham

Lake Bells tits

http://www.tyneham.org/

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/85/tyneham_village_of_the_vanished.html

The alterior motive for the evacuation was to widen the gene pool among the inhabitants of the Tyneham Valley.....many were eventually relocated to the village of Sandford, on the main road between Poole and Wareham. They local council built an estate called Tyneham Close in the 50's, and it was here a few years back that the company I was working for refurbished the kitchens and bathrooms. Got chatting to one of the tenants one day (her mum was an evacuee) and she told me that it was the original "two names in the phonebook" type of place and that the government had half an eye on putting a stop to that particular local tradition at the same time :lol:

Seeing it now, you can imagine that to be the case. Its still strangely remote, as are a lot of other communties in the Purbecks Hills, despite their close proximity to the best part of 300k people in Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch conurbation. Drive down to Sanbanks and take the chainferry at the foot of Harry Redknpp's garden across the opening to Poole Harbour and you enter another world at the other side; Corfe Castle is the setting for the murder of an infant King of Wessx, not long before that dynasty became the first kings of all England. Wareham's Saxon walls are gone, but the huge man made embankments thst they were built on still survive impressively, as does the town's Saxon church where Lawrence of Arabia is buried. The area inland from the very popular South West Coastal Path is without doubt one of England's best kept secrets. Me and the missus were there last weekend, and most weekends when the weather is ok...this is Kimmerridge Bay, a great surf break in the winter, Tyneham is just beyond the hill in the background.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z75/artognou/summer2011097.jpg[/img

Really interesting that Paddy, top post :thumbup:

The story I was presented was a fairy one-sided one, with focus on the family Bond in particular and how they got shafted royally by the military who allegedly expropriated their castle and property - following something that was supposed to be a temporary evacuation and they never got their lands back.

The fact that the underlying motives could also be a demographical one sounds peculiar yet could well be true.

Supposed to be a really lovely place in terms of surroundings and nature, these days its mostly military installations appearently?

Where did you stumble upon this story?

Little towns in this country often make the news in Norway?

:lol: a pleasant thread dropby as always Monroe.

Was in the newspaper, 3-page story. Occationally england gathers interest, even over here ;)

As the list on this link shows, Tyneham wasn't the only village abandoned during the war.

Interesting to note that Radcliffe in Northumberland was there until 1972, when it was demolished for open-cast mining.

http://www.timesatlas.com/ATLASOFBRITAIN/Pages/Abandonedvillages.aspx

There's also a place near Wooler , called Middleton, that has a few ruined cottages left. Abandoned in the 1600s I think.

Incidentally, I stumbled upon this and a lot of other 'ghost villages/towns', via Stumbleupon. The list including Oradour-sur-Glane, which I've actually visited. Not a particularly pleasant experience but fascinating nonetheless.