Steven Taylor

JawD

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Taylor has left NUFC after turning down the offer of a new one-year deal. The long-serving defender has offers in England and abroad.

Jesus christ we actually offered him a new deal and he turned it down...

Steven Taylor has left NUFC after turning down the offer of a new one-year deal. The long-serving defender has offers in England and abroad.

Jesus christ we actually offered him a new deal and he turned it down...

meh, his loss! not ours :)

Newcastle United Official Statement

STEVEN TAYLOR LEAVES UNITED

Following discussions between Newcastle United and Steven Taylor it has been agreed that Steven will leave the Club upon the expiry of his existing contract.

The 30-year-old defender, who made his 268th and final appearance for the Magpies in the 5-1 win over Tottenham on the final day of the season, leaves St. James’ Park after 13 seasons on Tyneside.

Rafa Benitez said: “Steven has been a very good player for this club for a long time and his character and personality has always been very positive, including during difficult times. I would like to thank Steven for his service and I wish him well for his future.”

Managing Director Lee Charnley said:

“I have known Steven since he first joined the club as a teenager and during that time his enthusiasm and love for the club has never wavered.

“He has always shown great commitment over the years. He has also been a superb ambassador for the club, representing Newcastle United at countless community and charitable events across the region during his time with us. I wish him all the very best for the future.”

Steven said: “It’ll be a huge wrench to leave Newcastle but I’ve been offered exciting opportunities both in the UK and abroad and I’m really looking forward to my next challenge. I’ve loved my time at Newcastle. I’ll always be a huge fan of the Club and I’ll be returning to St James’ Park as a supporter whenever I can.”

Steven earned a scholarship with the United Academy in July 2002 and signed his first professional contract with the club, aged 17, in July 2003.

Steven made his United first team debut on 25 March 2004 against Real Mallorca in the UEFA Cup and followed that up by making his first appearance in the Premiership three days later at Bolton Wanderers.

Steven won England caps from Under 16 level right through to England ‘B’ level, representing his country on no less than 58 occasions, many as captain, and scoring seven goals. He was called up to the full England squad for the first time for the friendly against Germany on 22 August 2007.

Nothing about being offered a years extension.

Newcastle United Official Statement

STEVEN TAYLOR LEAVES UNITED

Following discussions between Newcastle United and Steven Taylor it has been agreed that Steven will leave the Club upon the expiry of his existing contract.

The 30-year-old defender, who made his 268th and final appearance for the Magpies in the 5-1 win over Tottenham on the final day of the season, leaves St. James Park after 13 seasons on Tyneside.

Rafa Benitez said: Steven has been a very good player for this club for a long time and his character and personality has always been very positive, including during difficult times. I would like to thank Steven for his service and I wish him well for his future.

Managing Director Lee Charnley said:

I have known Steven since he first joined the club as a teenager and during that time his enthusiasm and love for the club has never wavered.

He has always shown great commitment over the years. He has also been a superb ambassador for the club, representing Newcastle United at countless community and charitable events across the region during his time with us. I wish him all the very best for the future.

Steven said: Itll be a huge wrench to leave Newcastle but Ive been offered exciting opportunities both in the UK and abroad and Im really looking forward to my next challenge. Ive loved my time at Newcastle. Ill always be a huge fan of the Club and Ill be returning to St James Park as a supporter whenever I can.

Steven earned a scholarship with the United Academy in July 2002 and signed his first professional contract with the club, aged 17, in July 2003.

Steven made his United first team debut on 25 March 2004 against Real Mallorca in the UEFA Cup and followed that up by making his first appearance in the Premiership three days later at Bolton Wanderers.

Steven won England caps from Under 16 level right through to England B level, representing his country on no less than 58 occasions, many as captain, and scoring seven goals. He was called up to the full England squad for the first time for the friendly against Germany on 22 August 2007.

Nothing about being offered a years extension.

Keith Downie from Sky Sports said he was offered a one year deal

He doesn't play enough to warrant anything else. The man's injury record single-handedly gave Mike Williamson a career in the PL. Damning.

He'll get signed by a Championship club as their 'PL experienced' 2nd choice central defender, which means we should get ready to play against that club's fired up 3rd choice centreback, because this cunt will be injured in no time.

I just hope we bring in enough players defensively

We'll be fine man this isn't JFK or Pardew or Carver or McClaren this guy actually knows what he's doing.

Not lining up to have a go at him. He was a decent player for us at times and I think his heart was in the right place. But as the thread title says, he's thicker than whale spunk and rarely fit. Time to move on. Colo needs to be the next one out of the door.

Edited by David Kelly

:lol:

Not gonna miss him but generally agree that he's been a decent servant of the club. He could have been a good player without the injuries. I remember that period in the 5th place finish season where he and Colo were invincible for a period of about 8 weeks at the start of the season.

I also remember the handball/sniper incident though, so swings and roundabouts.

Not lining up to have a go at him. He was a decent player for us at times and I think his heart was in the right place. But as the thread title says, he's thicker than whale spunk and rarely fit. Time to move on. Colo needs to be the next one out of the door.

Aye 100% agree like.

There is a good vibe about him moving on though. It's like we actually have someone in charge who has more freedom than the others to call more shots and also someone who has a clue what their doing.

Think that Benitez will look to play Lascelles and Mbemba as his first choice pair and I think they could form an excellent partnership, especially in the Championship. I think Taylor going is nowt to go upset or pleased about really. He'd be fine in the Championship even though I don't rate him at all. The biggest concern would've been his fitness. Therein lies the problem and I think people are probably spot on speculating he was only offered a pay as you play type of arrangement. It leaves us short of cover, especially as it looks like Coloccini will be off too. Neither should be the future of the club anyway. I think Benitez might go for one experienced pro and a youngster to try and replace them. Dummett will also be more than adequate as CB cover in the Championship as long as he has a physical presence like Lascelles alongside him.

Aye 100% agree like.

There is a good vibe about him moving on though. It's like we actually have someone in charge who has more freedom than the others to call more shots and also someone who has a clue what their doing.

Aye I agree about the vibe. If he'd gone in different circumstances I think people might have been pissed off that we were losing players from the squad. But now with Rafa it just feels like we are moving on from him. And given that majority of his time here hasn't been while the club has been particularly positive, it's a good thing to be moving on.