Check 'em, lads.

Mac-Toon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mac. I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to you, so glad to read that things are looking positive for you now. I've read your blog, it's really inspiring...I'm showing it to my son, hubby and nephew to read. Thank you for sharing all your experiences with us and all the best xx

Good read that Mac. Glad to hear it's gone well for you.

Like Stevie my fatha has gone through a couple of bouts of bowel cancer. He's a self employed cabbie too so he worked through bouts of chemo. Couldn't believe he was doing it through winter (the cold makes the pins and needles awful), while approaching 60. He's hardly got any bowel left now and is constantly dashing off for a short notice shit.

I've got no doubt that the smile he's had on his face and the laugh he's had at it throughout made it easier. Always had the same outlook that shines through on your blog - "time to fight this fucker". Hope I have the mental strength to fight what is a hereditary condition - 1 in 50 get it, which drops to 1 in 12 when your da and your uncle have had it like mine.

I imagine most of us know someone close who has been affected by some kind of Cancer. Mac here is first hand and I think the message of act NOW if ever you are suspect about something cant be said loud enough or enough times.

I lost my Mother to throat cancer. She lived with it for years and never told a soul. She turned to drink (I thought she was drinking water man ffs) to numb the pain in her throat. She had an op to remove the bulk and then was going on chemo but she never left hospital. Was the worst time of my life. She was in Glasgow and I was driving up each week to see her. Was just a fucking horrid time.

Point is, if she had acted sooner she might still be here.

So, now that I've cheered everyone up....

;)

Mine was a lump, about the size of a petit-pois on the bottom of my right testicle (RIP, little fella). Nothing specific to look out for apart from getting checked if anything changes or feels strange. You will have tubes attaching at the top of your nut, that's normal.

I know Lance Armstrong left his until it had swelled to the size of a satsuma, the stupid cunt. By the time they investigated it had spread to his lungs & brain. Same for John Hartson.

About 2000 men in the UK will be diagnosed with TC each year, & if caught early it has a 99% survival rate if it hasn't spread. Fortunately I wasn't a dickhead & got checked as soon as I noticed the lump & it's saved my life.

I start my final cycle of chemo tomorrow, so only another 2 weeks left & I'm sorted. (Touch wood - something I've not done for 9 weeks now)

If you're in any doubt or worried; go to your doctor. They appreciate people being pro-active & getting checked earlier rather than leaving it until it's "too-late".

Thanks mate, it's good to know what exactly it feels like / size etc... I've just had a check and everything seems fine but I'll keep looking out for anything that feels like that.

Glad to hear your on the mend and good luck with the rest of your recovery, my family and my wifes dad have all been through the ringer with the big C so can understand how it impacts on people, ok not 1st hand but treatment etc and the worry of it not working + side effects etc, so am glad to see you pulling through well. Haven't read your blog yet but will do :)

I'd be moaning the whole time that I wouldn't see the toon win a trophy and end up deed.

And? none of us will.

Ive been following Macs progress on twitter and have to say the blog has been a real upper for me, daft as it is but cancer scares the shit out of me (even though I know, what will be will be). I know, as Stevie said, that I couldnt cope with it as well as Mac has done but his blog has at least given me the view that this isnt something you hear about and then game over.

Always meant to ask though Mac, what was the timescale between you last checking and then the discovery? were you a regular checker beforehand?

Haven't read your blog yet but will do :)

If you make time to do one thing today, make it that.

I believe Macs blog should be publicised and used by the likes of Macmillan, SBRs etc as an educator into how to deal with this, I know if I read it for the first time straight after being diagnosed it would totally change my view of the way forward,

Unfortunately, I think it might be a bit too sweary for them, but I agree it would be a good idea. Can't see any of them wanting to take on "Kick cancer's cunt in" as their motto though. ;)

They dont know what theyre missing, would be a winner especially to see many celebs running the GNR with KCCI t-shirts on :lol:

I expect a few of you already know through twitter and perhaps it's been mentioned on here over the past few months, but I was diagnosed with testicular cancer back in august and have been undergoing chemotherapy treatment since early october.

I've written all my journey in a blog at http://obiwancajone.tumblr.com and would love it if you could read it for your awareness.

Fortunately, I caught it early and have seen my tumour markers normalise over the course of the chemotherapy treatment.

Cheers

Best of luck mate

A lady who write's for the Telegraph asked if she could use my blog in one of her article's, but wanted to change the wording & remove the swearing. I felt the emotion of how I feel/felt was portrayed better in my way & didn't want the message diluted in any way.

She's going to "come back to me" in December & see how I feel then. Not too sure what to do as I want the message spread, but in my own way. Perhaps selfish to refuse.

PP; It was probably 3-4 weeks between not noticing anything to feeling the change.

Aye it's a hard one. When that bloke came on here asking for away day stories, got some really funny ones, and then sanitised them for his website, it took all the humour out of them. In highly charged situations, people don't shake their fists and call people rotters, and I'm sure when you get diagnosed with something like this you don't think of bopping cancer on the nose, you want to "kick its cunt in".

I would just ask her to asterisk out the bits that she doesn't think she can use, and let people put their own language in. It's meant to be emotionally charged ffs, that's part of the power of something like that.

If it comes to it though, I would maybe have a go at rewriting some bits, cos you should make sure it gets out there.

Thank God you went to get it checked out Mac. The blog is brilliant - honest, funny and moving. I admire your strength and positivity hugely and wish you nothing but a long and amazing future with your family.

qatypabu.jpg Here's the letter that Alan Pardew sent me. pretty nice touch from a busy man. don't blame me for our current slump, mind.

Thanks a lot for everyone's kind words. I'm going to get back in touch with this Telegraph writer. Guess I should bite the bullett & allow her to spread my word.

• 7 months later...

Alreet, all?

Well, I didn't die so you can cancel that bouquet of flowers, lads.

It was fucking rough from october through 'til february, but I'm fine now. I just go for scans and blood-tests once a month and everything's been clear since december. I'm in full remission, which is obviously a relief.

Cheers