Top 100 Albums of the 90s

Alex

Pitchfork didn't discover electronic music until the last decade. Their 80s album list is much better because it was necessarily done retrospectively since they are all 90s kids. Their 90s list reflects more what they were actually listening to in that period as the fanzine had already started by then. It's also a really old list and am not sure it reflects where they are editorially today, since they brought in writers with more expertise in electronic music. Their top 500 tunes book better reflects 90s music imo.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My no.1 album of all time is no.2 in that list.

28818.002.gif?wmode=transparent

Yeah she's crap bar the first Sugarcubes album.

It's going to be one of those days, I'm with the man in the tin foil hat on both the above.

I've got 30 of the 100 listed and as much as I enjoy the Jesus Lizard on the odd occasion they shouldn't be near a list of the top 100 releases for the 90s.

As birthday boy Stevie says, that list is yank centric wank. Two Pavement releases in the top 10 - fuck off.

That's pitchfork for you.

SLP I saw the Sugarcubes live a couple of times and never did she release fecal matter onto the stage.

It's going to be one of those days, I'm with the man in the tin foil hat on both the above.

I've got 30 of the 100 listed and as much as I enjoy the Jesus Lizard on the odd occasion they shouldn't be near a list of the top 100 releases for the 90s.

As birthday boy Stevie says, that list is yank centric wank. Two Pavement releases in the top 10 - fuck off.

That's pitchfork for you.

SLP I saw the Sugarcubes live a couple of times and never did she release fecal matter onto the stage.

Pavement are a great band though - they were to American music (which Pitchfork covers) what Blur were to British music of that period. If NME did a list Parklife and The Great Escape would be in their Top 10 no doubt.

My own Top 5 records of the 1990s

1. Slint / Spiderland

2. Red House Painters / Rollercoaster

3. Talk Talk / Laughing Stock

4. Lisa Germano / Geek the Girl

5. Modest Mouse / Lonesome Crowded West

Just pitchfork.

The best thing about any list is when it turns you on to new stuff though, rather than trotting out the sacred cows. In that regard I'll enjoy getting to know a lot of he higher placed stuff I've not heard before.

Just pitchfork.

The best thing about any list is when it turns you on to new stuff though, rather than trotting out the sacred cows. In that regard I'll enjoy getting to know a lot of he higher placed stuff I've not heard before.

Agree with this, going to search spotify for that list and if it's not there I'll create it.

How many Bjork ones ffs. Look at me, I'm a wierdo from Iceland, I can make squeaky voices and I've got no tits. Pipe down.

One of the wankest most yank centric lists I've ever seen. Utter load of wank, our music pisses on their's.

Bjork is fucking class.

I own fuck all of those albums. Looking at that list its not hard to see why. What a shit decade for music. Makes me wonder how atrocious a top 100 albums of the 00s is going to be. The 60s & 70s for me any day.

As promised, Stevie, here's a better list just for you: (There's nee Oasis on it mind).

http://www.factmag.c...e-1990s-100-81/

http://www.discogs.c...he-1990s/152189

That list, fucking hell Alex.

Godflesh and Shellac both interesting inclusions but would they really be part of a top 100?

Lil' Wayne? Who was Lil' Wayne?

It's funny someone in the comments is slagging the list because there is no Stone Roses, obviously not realising 1989 wasn't part of the 90s.

Aye, it's a weird list like. I think it's trying a bit too hard. Some of the write-ups to the albums are great though and I'd agree with a few of the inclusions. And I bet you wouldn't get Heavenly by E-Dancer (which is mint btw) on The Rolling Stone list.

It's funny like because I think it was an absolutely amazing decade for music. Nee accounting for taste ;)

The best decade for me in my lifetime, though partially influenced by the fact I was a teenager/young man and music never seemed so important.

But even if you step back it was a breakthrough decade. It had the birth of rave culture and a hundred sub genres of electronic music, the rise of hip hop into the mainstream, grunge, britpop etc etc.

The best decade for me in my lifetime, though partially influenced by the fact I was a teenager/young man and music never seemed so important.

But even if you step back it was a breakthrough decade. It had the birth of rave culture and a hundred sub genres of electronic music, the rise of hip hop into the mainstream, grunge, britpop etc etc.

Bang on.

Yet fat 40 yr olds still bang on about the fucking tragic 80s