Royal Hoax Call Receptionist

henda11

Thing is, she wouldn't have been disciplined anyway. She literally handed the phone to the nurse who was looking after Kate, so for her to kill herself over that specific incident seems really bizarre. We have it drummed into us from qualifying that you don't give any info over the phone to anyone other than very non-specific descriptions of a patients condition. I've had newspaper reporters phoning the ward asking about patients, pretending to be family members and you just can't tell anyone specifics.

I have no doubt that the nurse who DID give the info would have been hauled up in front of the NMC at some point and possibly disciplined, but possibly won't now given the tragic circumstances.

The hoax was in extremely poor taste but ultimately they can't be held accountable for the actions of someone who handed a telephone to a colleague.

Im not even sure it would have gone to the NMC. She hasn't purposefully broken the code on conduct. If anything it strikes me as strange that senior management hadn't sent round a memo about dealing with the press trying to gain entry/ get information on the phone.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a case a long time ago of an actor - I think his name was Mark Scarborough and he was in Eastenders. He had depression and other mental health problems and the NOTW had some dirt on him - can't remember what it was - it might have been that he was gay or maybe even just that he did have mental problems. Anyway his family and doctors told the paper that publishing the story would have serious consequences but they did so anyway and the bloke then chucked himself off Beachy Head. Of course theres a part of anyone that thinks the cunts should be "brought to justice" for it and maybe in the face of medical evidence theres a case but the point is where does it end if all actions are assessed on whether some poor bastard is ill enough to react in a tragic way? Do we ban all jokes and pranks just in case people react badly?

In the spirit of looking at events in the 70s/80s Jeremy Beadle and Matthew Kelly must be shitting themselves now.

It was David Scarboro who played Mark (I had to google the name). I remember it because we did about it as a case study at school for PSE or some lesson like that. Properly tragic actually as they didn't even have any dirt on him beyond hounding him about the depression he suffered from which was exacerbated by not coping with fame. It was the good old News of the World.

To be honest, I was always half expecting a lot of people on Beadles About to keel over and die of massive heart attacks.

Remember the one where they fell for the story about a UFO landing in their garden? :lol:

Remember the one where they fell for the story about a UFO landing in their garden? :lol:

:lol:

If I remember, most of Beadle's About pranks were to do with people's personal property being dug up/destroyed/incinerated by private contractors. How they never had a GBH or a heart attack still baffles me.

Thing is, she wouldn't have been disciplined anyway. She literally handed the phone to the nurse who was looking after Kate, so for her to kill herself over that specific incident seems really bizarre. We have it drummed into us from qualifying that you don't give any info over the phone to anyone other than very non-specific descriptions of a patients condition. I've had newspaper reporters phoning the ward asking about patients, pretending to be family members and you just can't tell anyone specifics.

I have no doubt that the nurse who DID give the info would have been hauled up in front of the NMC at some point and possibly disciplined, but possibly won't now given the tragic circumstances.

I've just listened to the full call and there was very little information actually given out. All the nurse revealed was that she was sleeping, stable and receiving fluids. Basically the same information that was given to the press anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be over shit she got from her bosses like.

Moreover I'd be surprised if there's not at least an element of that in the whole sad affair.

He doesn't really need the money mind.

There's always room for more money though. See: The Rolling Stones. Can't say I've heard anything by Morrssey for years like. Still like The Smiths and his early solo stuff though.

There's always room for more money though. See: The Rolling Stones. Can't say I've heard anything by Morrssey for years like. Still like The Smiths and his early solo stuff though.

I love watching the old interviews on Utube. Still raise a giggle.

Is he touring atm or does he have a new album out?

He is literally days away from arriving in Sydney for shows, tickets must not be selling.

btw he has a new album ready but was dumped by his label and cannot find anyone willing to release it for him.

He does have a point.

No, he doesn't.

He's acting the cunt (again) to get attention. Bet you every penny in my pocket against every penny in yours, if the Royals had released a statement, that would have offended his appropriated sensibilities.

The man is a bell-end of behemothic proportions, but he once made a few decent songs (overwhelmingly down to Marr imho) and he's a different type of famous cock, so people seem to think he's all right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248794/Jacintha-Saldanha-Tragic-suicide-note-DJs-written-nurse-royal-hoax-I-hold-responsible.html?ICO=most_read_module

Tragic suicide note to DJs written by nurse after royal hoax call: I hold you responsible

The nurse who committed suicide after the royal hoax phone call left a note telling the two DJs behind the prank they were responsible for her death, according to sources close to the family.

In one of three apparent suicide notes, Jacintha Saldanha wrote a short letter in which she expressed her deep anger at the Australian radio presenters and blamed them for her tragic death.

Ms Saldanha, 46, was found hanged with a scarf at her accommodation at the King Edward VII's Hospital in London, where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for severe morning sickness.

The Mail on Sunday understands that one of the DJs telephoned the hospital back within an hour of the call and spoke to Ms Saldanha again, telling her they had played a prank which they were about to broadcast.

The revelation is believed to have left Ms Saldanha, who had no experience of dealing with the media, feeling confused and agitated.

DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian – who are believed to be at safe addresses following death threats – have apologised for the tragic repercussions of their prank. They pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles seeking information about the Duchess's condition.

The Mail on Sunday has also been informed that in another, one-page letter, Ms Saldanha criticised 'aspects of the hospital staff', and singled out two individuals for blame.7

Although the hospital has repeatedly said no senior member of staff blamed Ms Saldanha for falling victim to the prank and provided her with support, it is understood she may have been reprimanded by colleagues by email.

Asked if Ms Saldanha received a 'ticking-off' by senior colleagues, a family friend yesterday replied: 'What do you think?'

The hospital has declined to comment on the notes, saying senior staff have not seen copies. It is believed the original notes are now in the possession of Scotland Yard, which has produced transcripts for the family.

Sources close to the family said their relationship with the hospital was strained as senior managers had not provided 'facts' they have requested.

The hospital has so far not replied to several written questions the family handed to chief executive John Lofthouse at a meeting last Tuesday organised by senior Labour MP Keith Vaz. As a prominent Asian parliamentarian, Mr Vaz was approached by the family for help.'

Mr Lofthouse was given the questions by Ms Saldanha's husband Benedict Barboza, 49, an NHS accountant, their son Junal, 17, and daughter Lisha, 14. Yesterday, Mr Lofthouse attended a mass at Westminster Cathedral where prayers were said for Ms Saldanha. He was accompanied by other members of the hospital's staff, many of whom were in tears.

One attendee said he overheard a hospital staff member tell the family: 'I hope you get to the truth.'

Meanwhile, another friend of the family has revealed that Ms Saldanha may have tried to commit suicide more than once in the 72 hours between the prank and the moment her body was discovered by a colleague.

The nurse may have attempted to slash her wrists before she died as a result of hanging herself with a scarf. The friend said: 'She may have tried to kill herself more than once – that's why there are three notes.'

An inquest on Friday was told police found marks on Ms Saldanha's wrists.

The Mail on Sunday has been given details of the crucial 72 hours between the hoax call and the moment the nurse's body was discovered.

Ms Saldanha usually called her family in Bristol every evening. But on the Thursday night following the hoax call in the early hours of Tuesday morning, she did not call or text her husband, leaving him concerned.

He called the hospital early on Friday morning and asked a colleague to check on her. But apparently, the nurse failed to do that. Another colleague went to her room at 9.30 am and found her body.

The news was broken to Mr Barboza by police. At no point that day or subsequently did any member of the hospital staff visit the family to express their condolences, according to a family friend.

'They could have gone to break the news to the family but they didn't do it,' the source added.

In her final letter, Ms Saldanha is believed to have asked to be buried in her home village of Shirwa, near Mangalore, in southern India.

The funeral will be held there tomorrow. In a statement, the hospital said: 'No one at the hospital has seen these notes so we cannot comment.

However, we reiterate that Jacintha was an outstanding nurse... Hospital management offered her their support and told her they considered her the victim of a cruel hoax.

'They stood by her actions and made it clear there was no criticism of her and that there would be no disciplinary action of any kind.' Asked if any colleagues reprimanded Ms Saldanha by email, a spokesman last night declined to comment.

The whole situation is fucking mental. If she isn't mentally ill and has killed herself and left her two kids with no mother over a prank phonecall, then...actually fuck it, you'd have to be mentally ill to do that.

That for me is the crux of the matter. She must have been fairly fragile in the first place to even contemplate suicide over this.

Thats not something these DJs knew or even had reason to contemplate, anyone who has heard the tape would have to be a bit touched to believe it to be the real thing. She was put in a position which would have been awkward to say the least, she most likely felt it was a hoax but at the same time didnt dare say anything on the call in case she was wrong. The fact it was put through to the ward by the Receptionist who clearly believed it to be real would have made it a whole lot harder for the nurse.

No matter what, the Hospital is at fault here, they should have had processes in place for dealing with calls, after all this is a hospital which has royal and famous patients regularly. Surely there was a protocol to follow? a one off number for Royal family to call rather than the general one etc etc

Still doesnt get round the fact that Phillip bumped her off like