Flounce Tour 2013

Christmas Tree

Relegation Poll  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So at least we know we have another season when we'll still have plenty to play for right down to the wire.

Looking at the table.......

ehdu75.jpg

....Its pretty grim reading and I would imagine come mid January will look a lot worse following this run of games.

Man City H

QPR H

Man United A

Arsenal A

Everton H

Even following this run, the next run doesnt get much better given our current form this season.

QPR will no doubt give Harry a fair chunk to throw at the problem in January so we could well see a decent run from them after the year.

Reading are probably doomed (sorry Brock) leaving a small clutch of clubs two pick any two from.

Dont particularly see us as a snot and guts bunch of battlers who will fight tooth and nail for every point during the winter months.

Its looking more and more (sadly) as though Pardew cant turn this around so I think I would press the panic button now and start looking for a replacement. Obviously it would make a mockery of us to some degree given his recent 8 year contract, but thats no reason to hide away from doing what needs to be done.

Naturally the above is based on a better manager being recruited.

So here's a relegation poll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ask me again in march.

i'm hoping the owner has learned his lesson from last time and that we invest in january. if that happens we should be ok. never can be sure with ashley though.

sacking pardew clearly isn't the answer

I just honestly don't get it

The biggest discussions amongst Newcastle fans at the moment involve....

1. Whether Jonas should be dropped?

2. Whether Pardew should go?

3. How involved we will be in the relegation battle.

Yet the same people seem determined to limit any discussions getting off the ground.

The football part of this forum is already struggling so what's the point?

All this constant smart arsing does IMO is deter genuine lurkers from getting involved.

Edited by Christmas Tree

1. Whether Jonas should be dropped?

keep telling yourself that. i'm surprised fergie's inclusion isn't on that list.

no one at the match was talking about it last night. the big talking points were why was ben arfa subbed when he was our best player and what has happened to cisse's form.

Isn't that part of the point of a football forum?

Today's wake-up lesson: Point of a football forum.

To feel safe in the knowledge that having an opinion has very little chance of

repercussion attributed to the 'old days' before the WWW was invented. Where

individuals were more likely to be assaulted, verbally & physically, resulting

in serious harm dished out by some cunt who's had one too many sherberts!!!

Here endeth the lesson.

Is that smart-arsey enough for ya CT :calmdown:

1. Whether Jonas really cares?

2. Whether Pardew really cares?

3. How involved we will be in the mid-table battle.

Yet the same people seem determined to limit any discussions getting off the ground.

The football part of this forum is already struggling so what's the point?

All this constant smart arsing does IMO is deter genuine lurkers from getting involved.

FYP.

I honestly believe their are 4/5 teams worse than us. Yes, we have been totally gash so far & it dosen't look good.

Even if we are floating just above the relegation zone post-chrimbo/new year fixtures, I still think we'll be safe.

On the other hand, if Pardieux totally loses the dressing room then we are fucked. But Fat Ash won't sack him (#prediction)

Peace

Edited by B&Wsy

Simon Bird

Alan Pardew is allowed a bad season.

That was the pledge from Newcastle MD Derek Llambias as Pardew signed an eight year contract at the end of September.

Which is good news for Pardew.

Because this season, to state the obvious, is rapidly becoming a bad one.

The painful statistics show one win in ten in all competitions. Five defeats in six games in the league.

What a silly move to give Pardew an eight year deal, you might now be saying. Since Pardew signed his contract Newcastle have secured nine points from a possible 33.

Or if you think about it a bit more, perhaps you are giving thanks that the manager has the stability of a deal lasting until 2020 behind him.

In past seasons, if a Newcastle boss was on a run like this there would be rumour, uncertainty and foundations shaking at what might happen next.

But despite being on one of the most miserable runs for several years, one hall mark of this slump is the distinct lack of discussion surrounding Pardew's future. So perhaps there has been a change of culture away from sackings, turmoil and the merry-go-round of new boss, false hope, bit of success, dumped at the first sign of trouble.

The test now is whether that off field strength, at a time of weakness and fragility on the pitch, can hasten the team's return to winning ways.

The fear is that it is going to get a lot worse for Newcastle United, before it gets better, on and off the pitch.

On it, Christmas looks a nightmare. Bounce back by entertaining Manchester City this weekend? The respite of an easy (?) home game against winless QPR.

Then trips to Manchester United and Arsenal. Then fourth placed Everton visit St James's Park on January 2. A tricky looking FA Cup third round tip to Brighton ends the not so festive fixtures.

Unless Newcastle buck up their present form and start to surprise us again, they will be in serious relegation trouble by the New Year, rather than hovering on the fringes.

So going into January, when Pardew wants to strengthen his squad, Newcastle will be doing deals from a position of weakness, rather than strength and optimism in the summer.

Failure to sign two or three more players when on a high from their fifth placed finish last season is now conceded as a mistake at all levels.

Pardew said last weekend that he has taken a hard look at himself and his own tactics, but added pointedly: "I think it is also time for the board to have a little look at things as well, about what has gone on. They have done that as well. So all of us have had to readjust a little bit."

I'd expect dealing in January to be tough. Newcastle are thought to like French striker Loic Remy, and to be back in for defender Mathieu Debuchy.

But holding on to players might be the biggest fret. Demba Ba's situation is well documented, and there has been little progress meeting his wage demands in a bid to erase that release clause.

Any interested club will actually make a financial commitment of around pds 28 million to sign Ba.... not the bargain looking headline pds 7.5 million release fee. He wants a four year deal on around pds 85,000 a week, and agents will pocket around pds 5 million from doing the deal. Clubs around Europe were not prepared to take the risk in the summer. But are Arsenal now desperate for inspiration?

The Ba saga is getting tedious and potentially destabilising. He is one of the major voices in the dressing room at the moment, and one of the most vulnerable to leaving. That's not a great situation.

I'd worry equally about a raid for Hatem Ben Arfa. He has been a shining light for Newcastle even on days of dark results, illustrated by his fantastic goal against Fulham.

He must be on the radar of Champions' League clubs who fancy picking him up 10-15 million. Newcastle remember, only paid pds 5 million when he was injured, a gamble which paid off.

A fit Yohan Cabaye was the subject of interest (quickly quashed by Mike Ashley) from Spurs in the summer, and would have certainly upped his wages if the move had been pushed through. At least his injury might prevent a repeat bid in January.

So the question is not only whether Newcastle can buy the quality of players they want given their return to also-rans in the Premier League.

But also whether they can hold on to the key men who triggered last season's joy.

The current run, even if it proves to be a temporary aberration, could do longer term damage.

ask me again in march.

i'm hoping the owner has learned his lesson from last time and that we invest in january. if that happens we should be ok. never can be sure with ashley though.

sacking pardew clearly isn't the answer

Agree.

:icon_lol:

You are completely lacking in self-awareness.

Maybe you are right so maybe you could point it out to me? This is my take on it.

I look around other forums and massive discussion are going on about Jonas, Pardews ability and the relegation battle. Great points are being made, good banter is going on and people are generally doing what they come onto a football forum for, discussing Newcastle United.

Lately I find myself reading places like Newcastle Online simply because the discussions are not taking place here. And before the lets slag NO off brigade jump in, just remember that a lot of good posters from here, now mainly discuss football there.

I have no problem with people not wanting to discuss that here, but why piss on the chips of people that do want to discuss it?

You know very well that you have been here along time, are friendly off forum with quite a few posters, so must know that your reaction to a subject will set an example to others good or bad.

To me it seems that for some reason you have gone back to your very worst pedantic bitchy self which is a shame.

All that you are ensuring is that the many lurkers who sign on each day see nothing is being discussed and move on. Already loads have left either to post their two penneth elsewhere.

I just cant really see what you get out of it?

All you are doing imo is sucking the life blood out of people like me who want to discuss Newcastle resulting in more of us losing interest in posting here. A big shame particularly baring in mind the amount of work Ant has put in to making this place first class behind the scenes.

Lack of self awareness rant over.