Keeping Fish

Christmas Tree

One of the lads at work keeps tropical fish and he's always going on about them eating each other and having to separate pregnant fish/babies/evil ones etc. it sounds like a right fuck on!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the lads at work keeps tropical fish and he's always going on about them eating each other and having to separate pregnant fish/babies/evil ones etc. it sounds like a right fuck on!

It is if you populate your tank simply based upon what looks good, the fact that many of the more attractive fish tend to be arch predators rarely gets considered. They're only doing what comes natural.

Looks like a decent start up tank, that. Good price too!

Make sure you get some tap water treatment stuff for when you change the water.

Fish only eat/fight each other if you get different species that aren't compatible. When I first got my fish, he came with two other smaller ones. They didn't last very long as he bullied them out of ever eating. Pretty sure he ended up eating them too as they disappeared!

The worst i've heard about is when people spunk a shitload of money on having koi ponds and then buy a ghost koi, which then proceed to annihilate each £100+ fish in turn. :D

Fish only eat/fight each other if you get different species that aren't compatible. When I first got my fish, he came with two other smaller ones. They didn't last very long as he bullied them out of ever eating. Pretty sure he ended up eating them too as they disappeared!

The worst i've heard about is when people spunk a shitload of money on having koi ponds and then buy a ghost koi, which then proceed to annihilate each £100+ fish in turn. :D

TAPWATER !!! TAPWATER !!!! :bang:

RO water only in a tank, if you're going to do it properly. ;)

Koi - wouldn't go near them, water has to absolutely perfect.

Another absolutely ridiculous fad hobby this mind. I'm sure this requires the person keeping the fish to be really keen and do a load of research on it. Not the sort of thing you just get someone as a present.

The only thing that'll be done with quicker than this latest distraction is his New Year Resolution

:cuppa:

Mind you, saying that, I'm planning on going Jan 15th - Feb 28th dry... Don't reckon that'll last. :lol:

We have two goldfish who are nearly 6 now and have lived in a big tank for nearly 3 years. It's a right pain in the arse, but until they both snuff it, they will be tended to. Once they're gone, that tank will be on Gumtree within seconds.

Cheers Brock, its about £40 more at pets at home!

Im going to buy her a book to go with the tank and some vouchers for the local aquarium shop so that she can get plenty of advice when choosing the Fishies.

I agree to some people its a fuck on, but it will be her fuck on, not mine. :)

Im also under the impression that maintaining a proper aquarium is not as bad as a few goldfish in a normal bowl, ie as long as the set up is right and a percentage of the water is changed weekly, then jobs a good'un.

Last minute change to a Fluval Roma 125

http://www.petsathom...-(in-store-only)-21907

Brock?

Are you getting the stand as well ?? because it's going to be heavy when filled up - 125 litres = 62 and half large bottles of pop heavy plus the weight of the glass etc.

Put it somewhere where it'll get no sunlight on it an all, otherwise you'll end up with masses of green algae all over the glass and it'll be a bitch to keep clean.

Edited by Toonpack

Another absolutely ridiculous fad hobby this mind. I'm sure this requires the person keeping the fish to be really keen and do a load of research on it. Not the sort of thing you just get someone as a present.

It can be really hard work, I kept marine fish for a while, whilst rewarding (like watching your fish queue up for their spa treatment at the cleaner shrimp station and watching hermit crabs swap shells etc) it was very hard work and I had to break it all down eventually as I couldn't give it the time with working away. Manufacturing salt water, changing said water, cleaning filters etc etc.

That said I would guess I am likely the ONLY person on this forum who's had a chunk (small chunk admitedly) bitten out of their arm by "nemo" (vicious little buggers with very sharp teeth, those "cute" clown fish, ).