David Thompson and Nihat

Scottish Mag

From .com

The agent of Turkish striker Nihat Kahveci (pictured) has claimed that he is in discussions with Newcastle over a possible transfer for the 26 year-old, who plays for Spanish side Real Sociedad.

Ahmet Bulut, who also represented Emre when he moved to Tyneside said:

"We've started talks with Newcastle. They called to ask about Nihat's situation. Spartak (Moscow) want him but between the two clubs, he would choose Newcastle."

"Newcastle must first find an agreement with Real Sociedad."

This story has been around before and seemed to have bitten the dust last week when quotes emerged from the player suggesting he favoured a switch to Moscow. However that move didn't go through. Nihat is rated at £2m.

We also hear that Newcastle have sounded out David Thompson of Blackburn over a possible switch to SJP.

The 28 year old wide midfielder has previously played for Liverpool, Swindon Town and Coventry, before moving to Ewood Park in 2002 - Grame Souness paying £1.5m for him.

At the time Souness said of the player:

"Tommo is a proper little Scouser in that he is spiky, easily upset, but then he is also a joy to work with every day of the week.... He sees the picture and he is a great free-kick taker and I think he should be in the England team."'

Thompson has been in and out of the Rovers side this season, scoring once in his eight appearances. However he is cup-tied, appearing in Blackburn's 3-0 won over QPR on Saturday.

He is out of contract later this year and last month said:

"I've a few months left on my contract, so I'm fighting for a new deal.

"With me being injured it has played on my mind. I know if I'm fit then I'll get a contract, but if I get injured again, then I'm not going to get one.

"I have to stay fit and prove I'm a good player. The onus is on me to do that for the rest of the season."

From .com

"Tommo is a proper little Scouser in that he is spiky, easily upset, but then he is also a joy to work with every day of the week.... He sees the picture and he is a great free-kick taker and I think he should be in the England team."'

76323[/snapback]

Oh dear.

From .com

76323[/snapback]

Oh dear.

76335[/snapback]

Not even going for proper players now, just Scousers.

From .com

76323[/snapback]

Oh dear.

76335[/snapback]

76337[/snapback]

Proper scousers at that

From .com

76323[/snapback]

Oh dear.

76335[/snapback]

76337[/snapback]

Proper scousers at that

76339[/snapback]

voices_scousers_200x150.jpg

Are we really trying to build the premierships shortest team?

Emre, Dyer, Nobby, Owen, Babayaro, Carr and now possibly Thompson?  :lol:

76338[/snapback]

Add Nihat too that list he's only little.

Yet we'll still play long ball! :lol:

Are we really trying to build the premierships shortest team?

Emre, Dyer, Nobby, Owen, Babayaro, Carr and now possibly Thompson?  :lol:

76338[/snapback]

Add Nihat too that list he's only little.

Yet we'll still play long ball! :lol:

76345[/snapback]

It's not our tactics though, it displays our lack of tactics, as the players (in particular the defence) so often don't know what to do with it. And Souness will wonder why we can't get any service... Edited by TheInspiration

I like Thompson. Apart from his injury record, he's extremely under-rated.

76394[/snapback]

I agree, loads of skill. Never quite fulfilled his potential though.

I like Thompson. Apart from his injury record, he's extremely under-rated.

76394[/snapback]

I agree, loads of skill. Never quite fulfilled his potential though.

76403[/snapback]

Yeah, i always thought he was a good player. Bit slow and a bit short though.

• 2 weeks later...