IPCC report on climate change for 2013 leaked early

Happy Face

Comes out every few years, some corrections made to the last one from 2007, but overall, still a clusterfuck. The report....

is pessimistic about Arctic sea ice, which hit a record low in September. The IPCC says the Arctic may see ice-free summers by 2100. Even that is too rosy a picture for many climatologists, who expect ice-free summers before 2050.

Other conclusions are also more sobering. The IPCC is predicting greater sea level rise than it did in 2007, as it now includes models of ice sheet movements. And we now have a gloomier picture of the extent to which smogs and other human-made aerosols in the atmosphere shade us from the worst of global warming. This is still a big uncertainty in temperature forecasting. The draft says their cooling effect is 40 per cent less than thought in 2007, suggesting this positive side effect of air pollution has been overstated.

The report says it is "very likely" that the past three decades have all been warmer than any time in the past 800 years; that we could see almost 9 °C of warming by 2300; and that "a large fraction of climate change is largely irreversible on human timescales".

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23014-what-leaked-ipcc-report-really-says-on-climate-change.html

:(

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been through it all before bro. You're a believer I'm not. Not arsed either way.

Have we? And what do I believe in exactly? Don't recall ever giving an opinion on climatic change on here since I know fuck all about it. I'm more inclined to listen to experts in the field than any old whack job from the internet who likes to be different though. :razz:

Have we? And what do I believe in exactly? Don't recall ever giving an opinion on climatic change on here since I know fuck all about it. I'm more inclined to listen to experts in the field than any old whack job from the internet who likes to be different though. :razz:

It's on this board somewhere...2008 or 09 iirc. :lol:

Expect Toonpack to tell you it's a big conspiracy. Presumably whilst advocating arming polar bears with assault rifles.

Am with Parky on this one. Climate changes all the time and has throughout history, it's just one of those cycles but governments and scientists have twigged they can exploit it for dosh

They were talking about a carbon/pollution tax even before global warming was invented. :lol:

They can come out with any old bollocks if there's a tax in it for them.

But this will be a special one because it will be the first revenue for a global tax.

GLOBAL TAX. Get it?

:lol:

Funny thing is people used to make jokes in the past about air being taxed.

Edited by Park Life

I've never once met a scientist who is 'in on it'; even less so a whole discipline. If either of you had ever worked in the scientific field you'd know it simply doesn't work like this.

'They' can tax you what they like without the need for implausible conspiracies. In fact fossil fuels are clearly a finite commodity so there's no need for it. Now, anthropic climate change may turn out not to be true (I doubt it like), but if so this will be because the science is simply wrong, not that there's a conspiracy in place.

Am with Parky on this one. Climate changes all the time and has throughout history, it's just one of those cycles but governments and scientists have twigged they can exploit it for dosh

No one is denying climate changes all the time. The debate is how much people are contributing to it. I do agree to an extent, i.e. that governments have, to some degree at least, exploited a change in public opinion which has made the imposition of ' green taxes' politically acceptable. Renton makes the obvious point though that it's fucking ridiculous to suggest a whole field of science is on some big conspiracy. That sort of crazy shit is lapped up by right-wing conspiracy nuts like yourself though, Tex.

No one is denying climate changes all the time. The debate is how much people are contributing to it. I do agree to an extent, i.e. that governments have, to some degree at least, exploited a change in public opinion which has made the imposition of ' green taxes' politically acceptable. Renton makes the obvious point though that it's fucking ridiculous to suggest a whole field of science is on some big conspiracy. That sort of crazy shit is lapped up by right-wing conspiracy nuts like yourself though, Tex.

What conspiracies do you think I subscribe to ??? Can't think of any myself.

Climate change is not a conspiracy, it's happening, I do believe though man's part as catalyst/driver of it is way overblown and also just so happens to be a "nice little earner".

What conspiracies do you think I subscribe to ??? Can't think of any myself.

Climate change is not a conspiracy, it's happening, I do believe though man's part as catalyst/driver of it is way overblown and also just so happens to be a "nice little earner".

Precisely. Climate change is happenning (they stopped calling it global warming some while back :lol:) but it has little to do with man made co2. Man made co2 is tiny amounts compared to say what comes off the oceans.

The other misnoma people fall down on is that it's now an industry - once something becomes an industry (taxable means of exchange) it goes onto a different roster where science is concerned. Scientist questioning it are put in the bad room. ;)

The golden rule for science is that the grants and profits must never be threatened.

No conspiracy at work just capitalism.

The weather has been commodified and that's the end of it. No more debating allowed or profits are threatened.

Edited by Park Life

Wouldn't that constitute a conspiracy?

Nope, just an opportunity exploited. To be a conspiracy in my book, climate change would have to be an invention/fabrication, as I said I do believe it is happening, but then again it always has.

We may understand things better (through science) that contribute to climate change and mankinds activities may well have an effect but change is totally natural. If we could shut down volcano's and stop cattle farting we'd have more effect than "turning a light off" or not flying.

The golden rule for science is that the grants must never be threatened.

and of course the science at the end of the grant must be aimed towards proving the aims of the originator of said grant (if further grants are to be received).

Does co2 effect climate = yes, Does man contribute co2 to the atmosphere = yes, ergo, yes + yes = "bingo" or "Kerching"

I do my bit, I plant trees. (and pay exorbitant tax each week when I fly).

It was a rhetorical question since what you describe as taking place would clearly constitute a conspiracy. Whether you choose to define it as such or not is irrelevant.

and of course the science at the end of the grant must be aimed towards proving the aims of the originator of said grant (if further grants are to be received).

Does co2 effect climate = yes, Does man contribute co2 to the atmosphere = yes, ergo, yes + yes = "bingo" or "Kerching"

I do my bit, I plant trees. (and pay exorbitant tax each week when I fly).

Good science and bad science. One threatens profits one increases new avenues of profit. People still imagine science is somehow independant of the greater process. It isn't.

Obama was saying he's set aside 200 billion or summink for Carbon tax, but it won't start till 2020.

Good luck with China or India for that matter. :lol:

Ulitmately this new tax will be paid by us. A tax against carbon is a tax against mankind.

Industries will avoid it cause they will lay re-tooling and greening protocls against their tax (not that they pay much anyway).

The idea of a global tax is to set up a revenue stream for the quasi-global authorities and Govt that is being put in place (trading blocks being the beginning of that).

Global citizens will pay new global taxes.

Green taxes are only the beginning.

Edited by Park Life