Steve Wraith

Ally

I used to have the same view of Wraith, that he was only interested in self promotion and was permanently getting himself on the box/ radio etc to be interviewed about NUFC. After my time with NUST however I came to realise that it wasnt him chasing the interviews but the other way round.

Basically, once media get the number of someone they can get a soundbite from they go to them relentlessly. Steve, I believe is one of those, At the same time, hes not going to turn them down, it would be daft for a promoter and aspiring actor to miss out on a chance. Same went for the bloke who ran "Independent Supporters Trust" (cant remember his name, ran pub at Four Lane Ends I think). He was never off the box, once NUST appeared though he happily passed their details on to media people and dropped out.

Steve, is a canny bloke, Im not aquainted with him as well as the likes of Ian is but Ive had a few conversations and a couple of pints over the last 2 or so years and I can see he has a passion for NUFC. More importantly hes very well connected and generally if he says something has happened/ is happening in the club you can be fairly confident its true.

Frank Gilmour; runs the extremely fine Benton Ale House & is a smashing bloke

I got told the story as a kid by someone who should know if its true (the bloke in question's son) but I was never sure. The story was in the journal or chronicle about a decade ago. If I told you the story of the son, you wouldn't believe that either but i know each detail of his remarkable life is true. Who knows tbh.

Heard the Central Station story well before it appeared in the Chronic but again, I've no idea of its veracity. Maybe a local 'face' from that era could let us know if it's true. Y'kna, someone like CT.

As a fans' spokesman I prefer him to that Kevin Miles who hoyed his lot in with England when it became clear we weren't going to be the dominant force in English football.

• 5 months later...

Aye.I remember he was some sort of fans spokesman who was appointed by possibly himself and never said a bad word about Fat Freddy.

As for the Krays,i have been informed that they came to Newcastle by train with one minder,and were told by a number of families who `ran' the toon that they were not welcome and off they went back to London.Were they not involved in a night club owned by Bob Monkhouse at the corner of Bath Lane and Westgate Rd.I think they were looking to get a bigger foothold in the toon which didn't go down too well with a number of families.

• 4 years later...