Football fans claiming their team is tired, have injuries & suspensions and that games in Europe affect the team is nothing new.

But suggesting that highly paid athletes can excuse such a dreadful performance is lame.

Colo looks like he's on drugs, Simpson couldn't care much less and Tiote is obviously playing for a move. No players form can drop so badly without a good reason and his passing has suddenly become woeful.

With where we finished last season we had the chance to attract decent players. What position are we in now?

If Ba goes and we expect the replacement to settle straight in then we'll be in trouble.

Ashley has been quiet for some time and I'm just waiting for his next stunt in the transfer window or his sacking of Pardew.

Chris Hughton and Fat Sam must be looking at us and struggling to keep a straight face.

Pardews substitutions, last night, were bordering on hysterical.

Edited by Banshee
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed on .com the other day that the on this day mentioned in in 82 I think we played Grimsby and Derby within 24 hours - I remember mild comments at the time but nothing like the shite thats spouted nowadays about 48/72/96 hours. Spolit bastards is the phrase that comes to mind - especially considering the relative squad sizes as well.

The Man Utd game would have taken it out of our players, that's the kind of game it was but regardless of this professional footballers should be able to back up 3 days later and not fade like they did. Mental application was lacking.

I honestly canot see Ashley sacking Pardew. I dont think Ba will go either.

Hope you are right on both accounts

A season of 'positives'? that's nee good is it. :lol:

Clutching at straws perhaps but the way Bigi, Marveaux and Anita have progressed recently we'll be a much stronger squad on the whole when the big boys return. Heck even Squiddy has been decent recently. You'd like to think this baptism of fire some of our second string have had will benefit us in the long term. Now just to make sure that long term future is not in the Championship :lol:

So were saying that professional footballers, i.e professional athletes cannot play two games of football in 3 days of each other. Bless, they deserve all the money they get. Makes you sick.

Who said they can't?

If you can't appreciate that Arsenal benefitted by having no Boxing Day fixture, and that we suffered a bit because we did (even more so because of the performance at Old Trafford), then you're being too harsh.

They're athletes not robots - of course tiredness effects them. We played our bollocks off at old trafford while they were resting. Cries of 'man up' hardly dispel the simple science of the matter.

Yeah. I'm not sure why how much they're paid has anything to do with it, as if a high wage will make you less tired on a football pitch.

We last played 3 days prior at Old Trafford. Arsenal last played 7 days prior at Wigan. Of course it had a bearing on the outcome man, fucking hell.

All things have a bearing on the game ........... Arsenal looked 'rusty' and struggled to get into their stride in the first half, presumably because they haven't played for a week.

Yes, we were tired but some of the players took that as a very convenient excuse to give a half-arsed display.

We have 4 days til we play again ....... is that enough?

Or will the players use Pardews excuses as their excuse?

He seems to be handing them excuses and they, and some of our fans, are swallowing them whole.

Surely if a player is playing for a move their form should suddenly get better, not worse? Tiote's form is going to put off suitors, not encourage them.

His talent is what would attract another club.

Talent is permanent, form is temporary ...... two different things mate.

Edited by Banshee

All things have a bearing on the game ........... Arsenal looked 'rusty' and struggled to get into their stride in the first half, presumably because they haven't played for a week.

Yes, we were tired but some of the players took that as a very convenient excuse to give a half-arsed display.

We have 4 days til we play again ....... is that enough?

Or will the players use Pardews excuses as their excuse?

He seems to be handing them excuses and they, and some of our fans, are swallowing them whole.

It as an excuse, though. A totally legitimate one. It's not the only reason we lost 7-3 though, and Pardew knows that. I've not read his post-match comments but if he was laying most of the blame on fatigue then there's probably a bit of man-management in there - he's not having a go at no doubt very disappointed players. He'll make them feel better about themselves.

Again, of course it played a factor. Not the only one, by a long shot but it didn't help.

Yes - it's "enough" because our opponents won't have had more than twice the rest we have.

Well the Everton players should be knackered, after playing today, having only a couple of days break.

We'll have more rest time so the result's in the bag.

I just think that Pardew is handing the players a 'get out' clause every time he blames tiredness, injuries, suspensions etc.

I don't like the manager and never have, he got a bit lucky last season and now believes he's a master tactician as last nights subs proved.

He put on a striker for a CM as we were a goal down - what's so awful about that? Yes, it didn't work out, in retrospect he could have done something else.

Of course he's handing them an excuse. Like I just said, it's a man management thing. Criticising hem directly after every match won't help them.

Not sure why you're struggling to understand the effects fatigue can have on players. Especially if the team is ravaged by injuries, put in a lot of effort on a heavy pitch against Man Utd, and played against a team who have a bigger squad and had more time off. Also a team who sat back and didn't exert themselves for the first hal of the match.

As for Pardew - are you another one who attributes all he's achieved as being down to luck, yet will happily attribute all the team's problems to the man? Great, welcome to the forum.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

He put on a striker for a CM as we were a goal down - what's so awful about that? Yes, it didn't work out, in retrospect he could have done something else.

Of course he's handing them an excuse. Like I just said, it's a man management thing. Criticising hem directly after every match won't help them.

Not sure why you're struggling to understand the effects fatigue can have on players. Especially if the team is ravaged by injuries, put in a lot of effort on a heavy pitch against Man Utd, and played against a team who have a bigger squad and had more time off. Also a team who sat back and didn't exert themselves for the first hal of the match.

As for Pardew - are you another one who attributes all he's achieved as being down to luck, yet will happily attribute all the team's problems to the man? Great, welcome to the forum.

You must be the only person I've spoken to who thinks the subs were a good idea, even Pardew said they weren't right.

As for being 'a man management thing', it is, but it's bad management and players need few excuses these days.

I'm not struggling to understand anything, I know the players were tired but that doesn't stop them taking up the right positions or marking the opposition.

Tiredness didn't make Simo throw the ball to Arsenal did it?

By the way, I don't need you to welcome me to the board, I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone including the big heads on here.

Edited by Banshee

You must be the only person I've spoken to who thinks the subs were a good idea, even Pardew said they weren't right.

As for being 'a man management thing', it is, but it's bad management and players need few excuses these days.

I'm not struggling to understand anything, I know the players were tired but that doesn't stop them taking up the right positions or marking the opposition.

Tiredness didn't make Simo throw the ball to Arsenal did it?

By the way, I don't need you to welcome me to the board, I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone including the big heads on here.

I didn't say the subs were a good idea. In fact the next sentence has me telling you that in my opinion they "didn't work out". I just meant at the time I could sort of see why they were made, so they weren't completely 100% pointless subs as some seem to think.

I'm not that bothered about what Pardew says about the players to the press. What I care about is what he tells them behind closed doors. No idea what he said but I doubt he just went "it's alright, lads, I'll let you off because you worked so hard at Old Trafford".

You're right, fatigue doesn't excuse stupid mistakes. Like I said, it's just one reason we lost, but a perfectly legitimate one. Perhaps if Ashley had invested more in the squad, we'd have more to choose from when injuries weaken the squad.

Edited by Monroe Transfer