Holiday Plans 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at a city break for me and the missus around the end of Feb.

Cheap flight options are Madrid, Munich, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Hamburg. I've only passed-through Amsterdam as a kid and not been to any of the others.

I've a hankering for Germany, but can anyone give me the low-down or push their case for any of the above? Frankfurt (from searches on here) seems a non-runner. German version of Birmingham?.

Edited by Barney

I'm looking at a city break for me and the missus around the end of Feb.

Cheap flight options are Madrid, Munich, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Hamburg. I've only passed-through Amsterdam as a kid and not been to any of the others.

I've a hankering for Germany, but can anyone give me the low-down or push their case for any of the above? Frankfurt (from searches on here) seems a non-runner. German version of Birmingham?.

Berlin is lovely for a weekend away with the mrs, as is Munich. Frankfurt is a dreadful place - avoid.

I'm off to Hamburg for a stag do in a few months. Not sure what it's like for a weekend with the wife but I gather it's along the lines of Amsterdam - culture and hedonism in equal measure. Madrid's a cool place too. Of all those, I'd probably go to Amsterdam if you haven't been as an adult.

The Dam is mint but it's fucking dear these days. If you do go the Old Centre is basically the Red Light District which is fine through the day but full of stag dos and worse after dark. I'd try and stay in the Southern / Western Canal belt or somewhere like the Pijp. The big advantage of the place is that it's easy walking around the place as it's very compact. The Rijksmuseum is quality, as is the Van Gogh Musuem. The latter in particular gets very busy though. I'd consider a mid-week break rather than a weekend one too. Kadinsky Coffeeshop just off Spuistraat does nice space cake if you / your lass doesn't shmoke.

We stayed on the edge of the Vondel park, 10 minutes walk south of the centre. ( think Jesmond, without the cuntish students or noise)

The Jordaan area, SW of the city is nice, had some great markets.

Agree with Alex, go mid week if you can.

fyp

:lol:

Watch out for the "Chicks with Dicks" hookers. :lol:

The Anne Frank house is a must, but again, go mid week, and go early.

We were first in when it opened, and so had the place to ourselves, very moving and atmospheric in the attic rooms.

By the time we left the queues were building already at 9.30 on a Wednesday morning.

Resist your lasses exhortations to do a diamond house visit unless you enjoy a glorified sales pitch ;)

The Leidseplein can be quite nice on sunny day but it's very touristy. It's got Irish Bars, a massive Bulldog Coffeeshop and a Hard Rock Cafe ffs.

Agree re: visiting Anne Frank's House too. Ask about the drumkit.

Edited by Alex

The Leidseplein can be quite nice on sunny day but it's very touristy. It's got Irish Bars, a massive Bulldog Coffeeshop and a Hard Rock Cafe ffs.

Agree re: visiting Anne Frank's House too. Ask about the drumkit.

I haven't been for 12 years, was all Dutch when I was there, mind that was during Euro 2000.

I haven't been for 12 years, was all Dutch when I was there, mind that was during Euro 2000.

I first went mid-90s. It was like that then. I last went in 2010. It was pretty much exactly the same. I've been about 4 times in between too and it doesn't change. It's a bit like Amsterdam's version of Leicester Square. Don't get me wrong, I've stayed round there a few times and it's a nice area for accommodation (much nicer than around the Central Station for example) and for its central location / being handy for the museums, Vondelpark etc.

Cheers lads. Lots of pro-Amsterdam comments there. Was hoping to do a Friday-Sunday as it suits us both much better with work.

Any tips on Madrid or Hamburg/Munich?

Can't personally comment on Madrid but people I know who've been (including someone who worked there for a while) loved it. It can be freezing in winter though apparently so wrap up warm.

The Dam is mint but it's fucking dear these days. If you do go the Old Centre is basically the Red Light District which is fine through the day but full of stag dos and worse after dark. I'd try and stay in the Southern / Western Canal belt or somewhere like the Pijp. The big advantage of the place is that it's easy walking around the place as it's very compact. The Rijksmuseum is quality, as is the Van Gogh Musuem. The latter in particular gets very busy though. I'd consider a mid-week break rather than a weekend one too. Kadinsky Coffeeshop just off Spuistraat does nice space cake if you / your lass doesn't shmoke.

That's a fantastic visit, his early stuff was utter garbage mind, but once he discovered colour his paintings are incredible, tiny brush strokes and really thick paint.

Tip for visiting (we were given by a "local"), get there for opening and go straight to the first floor, all the coach trips etc go ground floor first, which is all people he influenced or was influenced by (can't recall) all Van Gogh's actual work is upstairs.

Colder than Dublin / Newcastle? Although, it's 11degrees here today.

Tbh I don't know, it's just what people have said. As it happens I went to Barcelona in January once. I barely saw a cloud but it was -15c overnight and barely got above freezing during the day. It looked beautiful like but fuck me, it was freezing. The fountains were frozen solid.

That's a fantastic visit, his early stuff was utter garbage mind, but once he discovered colour his paintings are incredible, tiny brush strokes and really thick paint.

Tip for visiting (we were given by a "local"), get there for opening and go straight to the first floor, all the coach trips etc go ground floor first, which is all people he influenced or was influenced by (can't recall) all Van Gogh's actual work is upstairs.

Aye, we went early (before it opened) and it was the right thing to do as it was heaving by the time we left. Definitely worth a visit though.