Holiday Plans 2013

Christmas Tree

Nothing planned yet, would love a weekend away in the coming months at least, followed by maybe a week somewhere later in the year. I'm trying to be realistic about it though and really need to get my finances sorted first.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, we went early (before it opened) and it was the right thing to do as it was heaving by the time we left. Definitely worth a visit though.

Was expecting pictures behind security glass and all sorts, was taken well by surprise by the "security string"

The Ann Frank house is a must do as well IMO.

Got priced up for double glazing by Everest last night. £25k he reckoned :lol: holidays out the window.

Should try Doctor Foster from Shields. (Lives in the house next to South Tyneside Hospital on Harton lane).

Been going for years and very good. Did my full house for about £2,000 plus £600 for the front door. Either you live in a mansion or are being ripped off.

http://versusio.com/en/hamburg-vs-berlin

(I realise this doesn't help much.)

Can recommend specifics in Hamburg if that ends up being the choice, though Parky's knowledge will be more current. For all I love the city to bits, I don't think it's a must-see by any stretch of the imagination compared with some of what Europe has to offer in terms of weekend breaks, just a canny enough place to spend a bit of time eating, drinking and making merry.

Cheers lads. Lots of pro-Amsterdam comments there. Was hoping to do a Friday-Sunday as it suits us both much better with work.

Any tips on Madrid or Hamburg/Munich?

I would prefer Spain over Germany at this time of year. Munich as Meenzer will be able to describe in better detail is a bit middle class and lacks the authentic atmosphere of Berlin. If you are fixed on Germany, go to Hamburg, the weather could be a lot colder of course but its a better city.

I wouldnt hesitate over Madrid if it interests you. My preference would be to stay in Cortes (somewhere like the Westin) and would recommend that if you are going for a weekend, you make your way to Mercado de San Miguel. Its a very old covered market with loads of places doing iberico hams, seafood, wines etc. Its a great atmosphere and superb quality food. Get there early evening and sample the foods before a late dinner. There are loads of nice plazas around that area (and some touristy places at night, its a mix really). Once pissed up at the market, head out for more drinks and dinner somewhere around 2am.

Getting an en-suite in the next couple of months. That sound you can hear is this years holiday leaping out of the window and legging it down the street.

Turned ours into a nursery a few years ago. Now its our lasses dressing come slap on room. Thought about turning it back but seems a lot of money just to save walking 12 feet to the main bathroom.

Hopefully, this year is going to contain...

Stone Roses at Finsbury Park

Glastonbury

10 days in the French/Spanish Basque country.....anyone know of a good beech resort in this area, pref. not Biarritz?...Mrs PL is pissed off with Seahouses apparently. Strange girl...:glare:

Belgian GP at Spa

Some time at my folks so we can get to Seashouses then :)

Hopefully, this year is going to contain...

Stone Roses at Finsbury Park

Glastonbury

10 days in the French/Spanish Basque country.....anyone know of a good beech resort in this area, pref. not Biarritz?...Mrs PL is pissed off with Seahouses apparently. Strange girl... :glare:

Belgian GP at Spa

Some time at my folks so we can get to Seashouses then :)

Nice nudist beach at Argeles-Sur-Mer on the French Spanish border if you like letting it all hang out.

Nice nudist beach at Argeles-Sur-Mer on the French Spanish border if you like letting it all hang out.

:lol:

you fuckin havent given naturism a go as well have you??!!....I'll let other judge if you have the typical body for that sort of thing, I couldnt possibly comment...

:lol:

you fuckin havent given naturism a go as well have you??!!....I'll let other judge if you have the typical body for that sort of thing, I couldnt possibly comment...

Nah, not yet ;)

My sister has a holiday home down there and had a sort of Shirley Valentine moment. :lol:

Nah, not yet ;)

My sister has a holiday home down there and had a sort of Shirley Valentine moment. :lol:

Is it free for a couple of weeks in July? :)

Not seen Shirley Valentine...thought it was about middle aged slappers shagging Greek waiters?...

Is it free for a couple of weeks in July? :)

Not seen Shirley Valentine...thought it was about middle aged slappers shagging Greek waiters?...

No comment ;)

Does she not fancy Nice. Cheap flights from Newcastle, great beaches and lovely town / city?

No comment ;)

Does she not fancy Nice. Cheap flights from Newcastle, great beaches and lovely town / city?

We're on the south coast, flew to Nice from Gatwick for the Marseille semi final in 2005..not my cup of tea tbh, but I see what your saying. Its me who fancies the Basque country, she seems ok with it as long as she can have a few days by the sea.

San Sebastian's meant to be lurvely. Great food and a nice urban beach.

Thats on the "must do" list too....looks stunning, I know Chez's a fan too. Rick Stein's programme from there last year was fabulous. Soceidad are a proper club as well, but think we're going too early to catch a game .