Holiday Plans 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying a family size tent soon so the odd night at Beadnell then a trip down to monkey world in Dorset followed by WW2 sites in the middle of France ( Oradour-sur-Glane,Violette Szabo and SAS Operation Bulbasket )

What's with the WW2 sites? Sounds interesting.

Bruges has just popped up as an option. I like beer, the missus likes chocolate. Seems a winner. Anybody spent any time there?

Seemed a lovely place, probably better again when there's no football match going on while you're there. Go for it.

Bruges has just popped up as an option. I like beer, the missus likes chocolate. Seems a winner. Anybody spent any time there?

I was going to mention Bruge yesterday but it wasn't on your list.

Great city for a weekend away. Extremely beautiful.

I thought a few places were quite expensive but we only really hung out around the main square and touristy bits. Apparently it's not so bad if you wander off elsewhere. Difficult to say as we didn't do a lot other than drink beer out of plastic cups for several days, and a few places had cheaper offers on for that.

Was it very expensive over there?

We found a really cheap hotel right on the edge of the market square. It was the first night of the CT european vacation so it was simply just a head down job so cheap was fine. Spent all day sight seeing and meandering so know real expense there but picked the number 1 restaurant on Trip advisor for the evening meal (about £70 for 2 plus 1 kid). Im sure like most cities you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want.

If you do go, find out what night the open air dancing is on in the fish market. Couples mid 30's 40's take picnics and wine and do the most erotic sort of classy dancing. Very hard to describe but quite surreal to witness.

Madrid is cheap, was looking at boutique hotel prices yesterday and you can get 5 star double rooms in places with roof top pools for 140 euros a night. Which means 4 star nice hotels are there for less than 100 a night.

Bruges is very nice like. Stay off the main square though as the restaurants / cafes are very much overpriced tourist traps and the bars are very dear there too. It's easy to get round (the medieval centre is very compact) and it's beautiful. There's loads of nice little bars and cafes. I'd recommend doing a walking tour but just a self-guided one rather than with a guide and a large group. The beer is amazing and the chips and chocolates are bad either. Go up the Bell Tower and have a look at Jesus' blood too (it looks like a rusty turd / dodgy bit of chorizo). Keep away from the alcoves though. Ghent is meant to be mint as well (didn't have time to go when we were there) and it's only about 20 mins away by train.

It's where the War was :doh:

( Oradour is a town which has been left untouched since the War , site of a massacre,)

Quite moving visiting some of the old battlegrounds in northern France, lots of trenches, craters etc still intact.

Buying a family size tent soon so the odd night at Beadnell then a trip down to monkey world in Dorset followed by WW2 sites in the middle of France ( Oradour-sur-Glane,Violette Szabo and SAS Operation Bulbasket )

I've been to Oradour-sur-Glane. Highly recommended but very weird, given the history, as you'd expect. I spend a week in Limousin about 3 or 4 years ago. We flew to Limoges as Flybe went there from Newcastle and I had some loyalty points to use up. It's a beautiful, unspoilt corner of France. We also went to the Dordogne and Cognac which aren't too far away (and the French roads are very good).

Arriving is not too bad, have done the west coast on business quite a few times. If you land early evening then you get to bed about 8-9pm, you can sleep for 10 hours and be ready to start the next day early. Obviously people like Gemmill will probably wake up in the middle of the night but I seem to be able to do it as going to bed at 6am and sleeping all day isn't alien to my body. It's coming back that's the killer especially if you have to go to work. Anyway, although there is lots of work I'm sort of looking at it as a holiday as there will be plenty of compensation for being there with dinners etc and the hotel is nice.

I think you've made a good decision, you should definitely go to that market i told you about, even if its just to do a quick visit. Personally i'd be there munching on Pata Negra and drinking wine for hours (try wine from Ribera del Duero if you want to try from somewhere other than Rioja, its lush).

Another idea for going out which we did last summer is a Flamenco show with dinner. We went to this one http://www.corraldelamoreria.com/en/index2.html

That one is included in the Michelin guide (and the NYT's '1000 Places to see before you die'), so the food is exceptional and it is meant to have the 'best flamenco'. As most people apart from Spanish are not 'flamenco snobs' then am sure there are other, less expensive options. It sounds a bit odd but it was great when we went and it think even better for a romantic evening. If it interests you but it looks too expensive, i can get a recommendation for somewhere else.

I like my WW2 stuff.Operation Bulbasket was a disaster for the SAS.The most SAS killed on any mission.Read.. Operation Bulbasket by Paul McCue.I've visited Oradour a number of times.642 villages murdered by the Das Reich SS Division and the village has been left since the tragedy.It's only a few miles from Limoges airport.The site where Violette Szabo landed on her second mission and the site of her arrest are 30 mins south of Limoges.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland