Jessops Bust

Christmas Tree

All stores gone.

Internet is murdering the high street.

Rents and rates on the high street are exorbitant, landlords and local authorities bringing this on themselves. Down here I'd guess 10-15% of the shops are without tennants and since the new laws banning squatting residential properties commenced loads of those are now squatted - the future of Britain's high streets; squatters, betting shops, money lenders and pound shops.

Edited by trophyshy

Yup, I think most retailers who sell stuff that you can buy (usually cheaper) on the Internet are on death row.

They only have themselves to blame then surely. I would happily take shopping over the internet and getting bargains than going out and getting ripped off.

You could say the decline in the pub trade is the same, stay at home and drink with friends and family or go out and pay a ridiculous amount of money ( down south anyway ;) )

the future of Britain's high streets; squatters, betting shops, money lenders and pound shops.

Did you happen to hear the chat this morning on 5live about the roulette-type machines in bookies ?

Billed as 'worse than crack' with folk easily blowing hundreds in an hour with growing calls to ban them .

Fucking shit state of affairs really .

Did you happen to hear the chat this morning on 5live about the roulette-type machines in bookies ?

Billed as 'worse than crack' with folk easily blowing hundreds in an hour with growing calls to ban them .

Fucking shit state of affairs really .

I heard a clip on the news about that, some bloke pissed himsel rather than leave the machine. The pubs in Oz are full of them, I've seen people win and (mostly) lose

thousands in a hour. They are evil.

Licensing laws dictate the shops are 'only' allowed 3 or 4 machines per shop and they accpunt for around 70% of takings !

Cited by exits for a 'last throw of the dice' and the bookies themselvrs more and more prominent on the high street and located within card-stretch of banks .

Ouch. Still a shame like, 2000 jobs wasn't it? I expected % of store closures and a management buyout or Something.

The fact that they closed it all down shows how miserable the outlook must have been- the administrators are liable for a shortfall incurred in the period following administration. I suspect that most of the stock was still effectively owned by the suppliers, so the only real option was to shut up shop immediately.